Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you keep warm when you're outside?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,067 mod
It's very cold where I live today, so I am trying to think of new ways to wrap up warm when I go outside. I have a nice thick coat but I think I need other layers to keep me a bit warmer, too.

What would you recommend?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,427 mod
    Lots of thin layers are best in my view @GemmaRowlands. It's much easier to regulate the temperature then, just by peeling off one or two layers.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 443 ✭✭✭
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > What would you recommend?
    What is the temperature, humidity, wind speed and what will you do outside, Gemma? Your level of physical activity outside matters, as well as whether you're going to spend outside all the time, or just 15 mins between home-train-work.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,067 mod
    Yes this is true, perhaps I will try using thin layers. I do find that I warm up quite quickly when I'm outside and sometimes get too hot when I've been out walking for a long time.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not specific. I have a pretty good collection of blazers, sweaters, coats. But, I feel comfortable with my jeans jacket. Though, it doesn't keep me warm but I like to wear it. :)
    I'm not sure if they're the in thing in the UK right now @GemmaRowlands, but shawls are a good way to layer up too. I have a collection of them, in all sorts of thickness and colour.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,067 mod
    I don't know whether shawls are fashionable as such here @mheredge but I do know that a lot of people wear them for the simple fact that they can be very helpful when the weather is a little cold!
    In Asia they are pretty much de rigueur @GemmaRowlands. But they are also often very attractive.
    What is de rigueur? @mheredge
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,621 mod
    It's very hot here in the Philippines, and that's my problem. :smiley:
    These days, summer is keeping us warm with some strong heat waves. :)
    The heat waves are making me sweltered and finally I have to compel myself to stay in my room.
    @abhishekb9099 how is the weather condition in India?
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly You are facing heat waves and I am facing Heat storm.....
    Its really hot even in the evening after 7 PM....
    @Bubbly Actual temperature is 46 degree and feel temperature is 48.
    @abhishekb9099 heat storm is a bit dangerous. There is a prediction of strong heat waves from the next week in our region that might be dangerous as it had taken many lives in the last year.
    @abhishekb9099 Oh! 46 is too much high then. Here, there is 40 degree Celsius so far.
    It'll melt me with that temperature. :sweat_smile: @abhishekb9099
    @kindgnice Don't worry our hotels are made up of tough concrete so you are safe...
    @Bubbly Yeah but that's okay we have to learn to adjust in different temperature.
    edited May 2016
    @abhishekb9099 sometimes, we cannot plan for certain type of seasons like rainy season is a big threat for us. Besides, all precautions there are floods in different areas every year.
    @Bubbly Agreed but you know I will say we can't change nature. In rainy and winter season we demand for Heat and in summer season we pray for cloudy weather and a short rain at least for an hour we are okay with something like that, so our perception changes according to what we feel not what our mind thinks.....
    Its all depend on using word "if" and "then"
    @abhishekb9099 actually we need change all the time and for that we don't focus on what we have but what we don't have. This is a big dilemma in our lives.

But, I never wished for summer season as it is really unbearable in my city.
    @kindgnice Don't worry our hotels are made up of tough concrete so you are safe...

Great. Lemme take note of this once I get there. ;)
    @Bubbly You don't have any way but I am sure when there will be winter having temperature of 10 degree you will surely wait for summer..
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....I am...freezing to death....
    @Shiny03 wrote: »
    ....I am...freezing to death....

How's the temperature there now in Japan?
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in a town with a mountain right beside it...always colder on the mountain...and the house is cold,too.
    @abhishekb9099 yes you are right. Sometimes, we take things for granted that are with us and wish for those who are not around. I think that I should enjoy the blessings of each season. Last night, I was thinking that if summer were not there, we wouldn't be able to have wheat crops that is a main staple food.
    @Shiny03 lucky one! Enjoy the beauty of nature as very few people can get a chance to enjoy it off and on.
    @Bubbly Yes that is the fact.. Every season matters a lot.. Every season plays an important role in our life... We are not aware where it is helpful but it is...
This discussion has been closed.