Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What are you up to?

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,489 mod
edited January 2016 in A Question of English

Comments

• catyfiruzecatyfiruze Posts: 27 Inactive
    Who could explain me the expression "What are you up to?". Is it similar to "What are you doing now?" or means something else?
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    I think, this question is asking when you feel a suspicion. When you do not trust somebody... May be I wrong @catyfiruze.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    @catyfiruze What are you up to? = What are you doing?, What are you planning?
    It's informal.
    But we can also ask it, when someone do suspicious or naughty thing and we're curious about it.
    > @Csilla said:
    > @catyfiruze What are you up to? = What are you doing?, What are you planning?
    > It's informal.
    > But we can also ask it, when someone do suspicious or naughty thing and we're curious about it.

Thank you! And what answer could be in informal conversation - in Present Continuous ("I'm reading a book", for example)? Would it be correct?:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    "It depends. If it refers to what I'm doing, I might say, "Not a lot" or "just working/watching tv or whatever".
    If it's intended as another way of saying, "how are things?" I'd just say Fine."
    I've found this answer on a language forum.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,489 mod
    edited January 2016
    @catyfiruze As @Csilla said, it is an informal way of asking "What are you / have you been doing. However, stress and tone of voice could convey that you are suspicious. If you remind me in a session, I will demonstrate. :)
    Oh, Lynne, thanks a lot!!:)
This discussion has been closed.