Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What are you up to?

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,292 mod
edited January 2016 in A Question of English

Comments

• catyfiruzecatyfiruze Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Who could explain me the expression "What are you up to?". Is it similar to "What are you doing now?" or means something else?
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    I think, this question is asking when you feel a suspicion. When you do not trust somebody... May be I wrong @catyfiruze.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    @catyfiruze What are you up to? = What are you doing?, What are you planning?
    It's informal.
    But we can also ask it, when someone do suspicious or naughty thing and we're curious about it.
    > @Csilla said:
    > @catyfiruze What are you up to? = What are you doing?, What are you planning?
    > It's informal.
    > But we can also ask it, when someone do suspicious or naughty thing and we're curious about it.

Thank you! And what answer could be in informal conversation - in Present Continuous ("I'm reading a book", for example)? Would it be correct?:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    "It depends. If it refers to what I'm doing, I might say, "Not a lot" or "just working/watching tv or whatever".
    If it's intended as another way of saying, "how are things?" I'd just say Fine."
    I've found this answer on a language forum.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,292 mod
    edited January 2016
    @catyfiruze As @Csilla said, it is an informal way of asking "What are you / have you been doing. However, stress and tone of voice could convey that you are suspicious. If you remind me in a session, I will demonstrate. :)
    Oh, Lynne, thanks a lot!!:)
This discussion has been closed.