Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Proverbs / Phrases / Idioms

RemaRema Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Words Words Words
I haven't found here nothing about proverbs and phrases so I think that this can be useful. Put some proverbs and phrases here and explain their meaning ;)
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    You've got to be kidding me! When a true statement is ridiculous.
  • RemaRema Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Lynne for encouriging :) So with which one I can start?
    Maybe one of the essentials can be good enough for start: ''Practice makes perfect''- that mean that you have to practice a skill a lot to become good at it.
    edited January 2016
    As more you practice, you'll learn. You'll be more and better with learning.

------------------

As you practice, you'll learn.

The more you practice, the more you'll learn.

You'll get better at learning.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    "Easy come, easy go."- When you get money quickly, like by winning it, it's easy to spend it or lose it quickly as well.
    It's correct. We can use this phrase not just in this case. When you get something easily, it can go away, soon.
    You've right @Csilla. I wrote one of the explanation for this proverb and this proverb can be explained with a lot of examples.
    ''A friend in need is a friend indeed''- this means that real friend is a friend who helps when one is in trouble.
    "Rome wasn't built in a day."- means doing important work takes a long time. So be patient.
  • FaridmadiFaridmadi Posts: 125 ✭✭
    what goes around comes around means:The results of things that one has done will someday have an effect on the person who started the events.
    I think that I found the same @Faridmadi : ''You will reap what you sow''- it means that you get what you give, some kind of karma stuff.
    @Rema yeah it seems so, allow me to ask about the word you use karma? is it an Arabic word?)))) :)
    @Csilla oh i see, but still couldn't get its meaning and the last use by Rema
    @Faridmadi According to Wikipedia: ''Karma is a Sanskrit word (Sanskrit is the primary sacred language of Hinduism)''
    @Faridmadi Karma is belief that whatever you do comes back to you, e.g. if you do something good, something good will happen to you, and vice versa.
    Maybe my explanations aren't good, but I certainly know that one of them can help us: @Lynne, @mheredge, @NatashaT or @Bubbly
    @Rema I am not very knowledgeable on this topic, yet i found this on internet:"Karma (car-ma) means the result of a person's actions as well as the actions themselves." and yes it has a Hindu origins..
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 552 mod
    @Rema I think that´s a good explanation! Karma is the idea that what you do affects what happens to you. So if you do good things, good things should happen for you, and if you do bad things, then bad things will happen to you.
    edited February 2016
    @NatashaT @Faridmadi I thik that this proverb is in relation with karma "Whatever happen happen with the reason'.'

----------------------

"Whatever happens happens for a reason."
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @Rema, yeah it sounds convincing))
    it has the same meaning with idiom that i mentioned above, what goes around, comes around)))
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rema Karma means actions and all actions are based on your intentions. If your intention is good, you will act accordingly and you will get back something good. Intention is the key. :)
    @Bubbly we've got almost the same word in arabic in terms of word's spelling but it holds different meaning, it derives from the word karam means generous)) :)
    @Faridmadi we use word "neeat" for intention in Arabic and it has great importance in our life. My point of view was based on neeat as it is a focal point of every deed.
    @Bubbly yeah indeed we use this word alot but in what context you mentioned this word)))))
    @chyijung 'Have butterflies in your stomach'- it means that you ​feel very ​nervous, usually about something you are going to do.
    @Bubbly I think that I can make comparison between karma and intention according to your definition of karma: Karma can be tool and Intentions can be material for processing . Am I get it right?
    @Rema it is not a comparison but a relationship between karma and intention. Karma is nothing without intention and vice versa.