Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How Facebook makes us dumber

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 25,675 mod
edited January 2016 in Science and nature
A new study on users of Facebook aiming to test the question: When people are online, do they encounter opposing views, or do they create the virtual equivalent of gated communities (find people who agree with them)?

Not unexpectedly, the researchers found a lot of communities of like-minded people. More generally, Facebook users tended to choose and share stories containing messages they accept, and to neglect those they reject. (Surely that should be obvious).

What the study does not mention however, is the tendency for people to become more reinforced in their beliefs, which are being confirmed by what they are seeing on Facebook. For example, you think increasing the minimum wage is a good idea, that Obamacare is working well, or Donald Trump would be a good president. Arriving at these judgments by yourself, you might well hold them tentatively and with a fair degree of uncertainty. But once you find lots of people agree with you, you are likely to end up with more certainty.

What do you think? Do you use Facebook? And if so, how do you use it? Do you have 'friends' who ever disagree with what you post there?

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-01-08/how-facebook-makes-us-dumber?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

Comments

• polyethenepolyethene Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I haven't used Facebook for half of a year and I realy feel free. I used to waste a lot of time on scrolling stupid posts and pictures. I only use Messenger application to stay connected with my friends and family. Facebook is NOT your friend! It knows everything about you. Fb sells information about you to other companies. When I heard about it I was scared. I don't want to tell Facebook everything what is happening in my life, I need more privacy. It's my opinion about Facebook. :wink:
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,675 mod
    You're right @polyethene. Facebook is like a spy, collecting information about us. That said, I still find it useful to share information with 'friends'. But I probably look at it a couple of times a day if I'm staying somewhere where there's wifi, and maybe less when I'm on the move or if I don't have unlimited internet access.
  • polyethenepolyethene Posts: 20 ✭✭
    @mheredge
    When I had a facebook application I used to do the same things and lost a lot of time to do it. Nowadays facebook is addiction. Maybe you should have had for example 1 week without using facebook. It's good option to start some kind of "rehab".
    Good luck! ☺
  • AndreBRAndreBR Posts: 2
    It has its pros and cons, by the way, is the user who decides where he or she will explore the social tools
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little to using fb about call my friends and I see some friends drug fb
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    True. Facebook does make you dumb. I don't understand why people put each and every thing on it. To whom they are trying to show that I am happy or I am blessed or my mom loves me haha.. Once I've deactivated my account for a month. Believe me such a relief it was. I have to get back because my friends got worried and they started asking questions. But now I use it less. It is a social networking app and bascially for communication with whom that are away from you so everyone should use it wisely.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,008 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely use facebook as I don't like it.

But it is good way to interact with those family members who live away from you. You can share your pictures, updates, day to day activities etc. as well.
    Oooh so that means you'll miss out on all my Bangladesh photos @Bubbly! I try to use Facebook to 'educate' by sharing interesting information.
    @mheredge I will definitely see them and comment as well. :) I don't miss certain things that make me happy. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Its a very interesting topic. Lot of researchers examine facebook-connected questions and other online social networks. According to Scopus database almost 6000 articles were written last 3 years. The addiction is one of the main topics. Personally I use fb first of all for advertising - its can be a very useful tool for share (semi)official information. I dont think that there is any faster way to reach people with a target news.
    I knew someone who used Facebook for marketing some holiday accommodation @patika. I have to say that I found it rather irritating and was glad to see that he didn't continue for very long. Maybe he found a lot of people 'unfriended' him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Yes I agree with you @mheredge - I think that the frequency is a crucial question. I usually post an ads about our starting courses - according to the sharing and likes my friends are interested in...
    I did find Facebook useful yesterday when a friend posted a photo of himself with a friend who he'd bumped into in Kathmandu, who was about to set off on a cycle ride from Kathmandu to Kalimpong in India. I saw this when I was waiting for my flight to Nepal at Dhaka airport. Little did I think that this same guy would be in the room next to me in the hotel in Kathmandu!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    The social media generation:
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,606 mod
    I think it's a good sign that I have no much time for Facebook. But for LEO network, I have plenty of time. :smiley:
    Facebook is trying to be clever and feed us with things it thinks we want to read @kindgnice. Do you use Facebook much? @Bubbly, I think you do but only occasionally. I like to use it for news but I'm worried about this as this might mean too much information!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/22/facebook-algorithm-change-pieces-people-actually-read?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H&utm_term=168703&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
    edited April 2016
    Hmmm. Honestly, I have no time to open my Facebook account these past few days due to very busy work schedules. Moreover, I think these algorithm amendments are just part of their innovation initiatives and I won't be surprised if they'll add another algorithm. They want people to realize that technology is evolving, thus they go with the flow as well. :)
    @mheredge I have two FB accounts but I use them rarely. But, later on I am convinced that FB is a good source of sharing the pictures of different events like you did on it. :)
    Bubbly wrote: »
    @mheredge I have two FB accounts but I use them rarely. But, later on I am convinced that FB is a good source of sharing the pictures of different events like you did on it. :)

Agreed. Hope you shared your photos there in your presentation held yesterday. ;)
    @kindgnice not exactly as we are not allowed to take pictures in the class. :(
    Awww, I understand. :(
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    I use Facebook but not much, I think Facebook has more disadvantages, It's also true that it helps to remain in touch with many people but it also reduces our relationships with our relatives and close friends now new generation prefer to use Facebook than go to meet their relatives and their best friends. Especially Facebook has adversely affecting the health of people.
    @shah51272 wrote: »
    I use Facebook but not much, I think Facebook has more disadvantages, It's also true that it helps to remain in touch with many people but it also reduces our relationships with our relatives and close friends now new generation prefer to use Facebook than go to meet their relatives and their best friends. Especially Facebook has adversely affecting the health of people.

That's the reason why I'm rarely active in Facebook. :)
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    @kindgnice it would be beneficial for you. Do you have any other outdoor activities like sports.
    @shah51272 wrote: »
    @kindgnice it would be beneficial for you. Do you have any other outdoor activities like sports.

Unfortunately, due to hectic schedules, I can't make extra time for outdoor activities. :(
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I like Facebook because it gives me a great opportunity to give my opinion about anything. Just like twitter.
    A while back I wrote something about a book and my teacher get offenced.but all my classmates backed me.
    And yes some of my teacher never agreed with me and sometimes we have argument on Facebook and afterwards it has been seen in my mark sheet.
    So Facebook has side effect as well.
    But I will keep using it.until my last breath.
    Facebook is under a lot if fire right now for all the bogus stories and false media reports that have been shared with no control or checking process. I have to admit that I tend to disbelieve a lot I see, especially if it is political @mohit_singh.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @mheredge
    Yeah,in this I completely agree with you but sometimes it is funnier. I also never rely on the bogus news of social media.except the trending one.
    But nowadays the news I read on social media seems bogus to me and later on I find that that story is true.so both can happen. But generally its fake.I agree.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 261 ✭✭
    I use a Facebook because I can contact with my friend from hall of residence who lives in Germany. Sometimes I am scared of how people show all their life in Facebook. They don't understand that the Internet is not a private sphere, all what we will write or we attach is in full accessible.
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 122 ✭✭
    In my opinion, there is always two sides in everything. In this issue the good side is we can still keep in touch with our old friends as @nomad81 said in the first line of his sentences. But the bad one is there are so many posts that is annoying my attention so much. I say this because some of my friend attache a news or an opinion related to the situation of politic in my country. Many of them spread hoax that contain of hatred. It makes me sad and frustrated sometimes.