Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is your profession?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,337 mod
We all have to earn money, and there are many different jobs that we can have in order to do this, so what is yours?

If you're a student, you can say what you would like to be when you are older.

I am a writer, editor and proofreader, and I have been doing this ever since I graduated from my degree course back in 2012.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,105 mod
    I'm a jack of all trades. All I know is that apart from one year teaching history, my degree subject had little to do with my work!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,337 mod
    That is great that you can turn your hand to anything @mheredge I wish that I was like that. Unfortunately there are not many things that I can do - but the things that I do, I do well.
  • grizlgrizl Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    i am a college student, my study field is law. but i'm working in finance department as an accountant. ahahaha so far from my study field right?
    in future i want to work overseas or become a bunissewoman.
    i must earn much money, so i can traveling around the world, and of course to make my parent happy and proud of me because i become a succesfull woman.

--------------------

I am a college student; my study field is law, but I'm working in finance as an accountant, which is so far from my study field right?

In the future, I want to work overseas or become a businesswoman. I need to earn a lot of money, so I can travel around the world, and of course, to make my parents happy and proud of me as I become a successful woman.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Work experience is great @grizl no matter whether it is in your subject field or not, as it can help you to learn a lot of skills. Making your parents proud is a wonderful reason to want to do well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I'm a management engineer and at the moment I'm doing an internship in costs analysis in finance department. is not exactly the field of my studies too because is a mix between technical and financials skills. I think nowadays is a little bit hard to find the exactly field of our studies especially in Italy, But i don't now the real situation in other country. What do you think about this? do you work in your study field?
    I have to say that accounting was never my favourite @DarioM and @grizl. I spent several years working as a 'management consultant' which was very interesting though, as I enjoyed analysing problems and then coming up with ideas to solve them. By contrast working in financial regulation later was deadly dull and is the reason I quit the City. Money is not everything @grizl.
  • grizlgrizl Posts: 26 ✭✭
    @mheredge indeed money is not everything. But we all need money, right?
    money is not everything but without money we can do nothing.
    Your profession sounds interesting @DarioM . It is difficult to get jobs in our chosen fields here, too. For example I have a degree in psychology, however I am currently working as a writer. I love my job though, and I wouldn't want to change it.
    @GemmaRowlands where are you from?your job sounds interesting too. what are you writing about?are you a writer for some newspaper o something about this?
  • hebaheba Posts: 33 Inactive
    I am student my major is translation but I want to be someone artist and same time Translator :))))
    I am from England @DarioM and I work on many different projects, including article and blog writing, and also novels and novel editing. There is always something different every day, and that's what I like the most about the job.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I am an Environmentalist. :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @mheredge I am a jack of all trades. My mentor really believes that I can do everything if I am given a challenge. ;)
    @Learningdiva2 that sounds like a wonderful job, as the environment is very important, so we need people who will protect it.
    Banglish: 'What service are you in?' I guessed he meant to ask what job I had.
    @Learningdiva2 sorry for my ignorance but what do an environmentalist do? do you work for some ONG or what?i think it is a very good job and the world needs people like you.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    @DarioM I am currently involved in reporting of different environmental issues which we are facing like air pollution, water pollution, land degradation, noise pollution, risk assessment, hazard analysis, screening, climate change and many more.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,641 mod
    I'm an engineering graduate and currently working in an oil and gas industry. :)
    That's great @kindgnice so is that the type of industry that you wanted to work in when you chose your degree?

That's great @kindgnice so is that the type of industry that you wanted to work in when you chose your degree?

Not at all my friend. But I'm trying to shift my career to IT industry. Hopefully. :)
  • zulumamenzulumamen Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I'm a developer in Ethiopian airlines, i mainly working on websites and system design. i love my work
    and i also love solving a problem

I'm a developer in Ethiopian airlines, i mainly working on websites and system design. i love my work

and i also love solving a problem

Wow!! Can you teach me about the basics of system design my friend? :) I'm eager to learn.
  • onehitkoonehitko Posts: 3
    I'm pre sales engineer...I work in a distributor of imported products in my country...
    I drawing projects of IT, network wireless, network security and Voip....I love my work! and the english is fundamental so i can grow in this area.
    That sounds like a great job to do @onehitko do you think it is the job that you want to do in the long term?
  • TalhaBarkaatTalhaBarkaat Posts: 16 ✭✭
    well i am an electrical engineer
    That sounds interesting @TalhaBarkaat what types of things do you do when you're at work?
  • wadzievjwadzievj Posts: 3
    I am a legal practitioner/lawyer, but still in my first year of practice. So i still have a lot to learn! Overall, I love my profession! It would be nice to know of other lawyers in this forum.
    wadzievj said:

I am a legal practitioner/lawyer, but still in my first year of practice. So i still have a lot to learn! Overall, I love my profession! It would be nice to know of other lawyers in this forum.

That sounds very interesting indeed. I expect it was hard work to qualify.
    @Danny39 have a look at the infoation on the LEO website on Skype sessions. You need to be a member (writing) for a while before you can join these sessions to practice speaking.
  • AnuradaAnurada Posts: 207 Inactive
    I am a Physiotherapist. I love to give treatment to patients ,and more happy when they recover.