Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Indianism's in English Anyone ?

pryfllwydpryfllwyd The AnthropocenePosts: 1,403 mod
Some uses of English which seemingly derive from India have started to take hold.

Not sure I personally like 'prepone' but I've already heard it used at work and the way thiings are going 'Kindly adjust' is gonna be needed more and more.

Shows that English is a living language IMHO.

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/04/indian-english-phrases-indianisms-english-americanisms-vocabulary

Comments

• bisobiso Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    They are more simple of us: Veg or No Veg ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,065 mod
    My favourite Indo/Nepenglish phrase is the backside of anything that's meant to be behind something. Of course back side would work in most cases, but all the same! The backside of the bus!
  • joncunhajoncunha Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    what a such difficult topic. I have no idea what say to contribute haha
    I hadn't heard rowdy sheeter before, but all the others are in regular use. @joncunha, can you think of any more?
  • oh.. damn it... English is a funny language but it brings little coolness too in life. and having a smart vocab is much voracious for me. :-P
    I love Indian English @Ameeruzzaman. Sometimes it sums things up so much better than the Oxford English Dictionary.
This discussion has been closed.