Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Suffragette

XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think this is a great film worth sharing (it shows women's struggles to obtain voting rights). Helena Bonham-Carter is exploding telegraphs. :)

In the end there is a fragment of an archival document about the funeral of Miss Davison who ran out onto the racetrack and died tragically four days after being knocked down by one of King George V's horses. According to the film makers, she had wanted to draw the king's attention to the women's cause. Davison has her lasting legend as a kind of symbol but it is not entirely certain if rightly so: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10089541/Emily-Davison-was-she-really-a-suffragette-martyr.html

Here you have an old film showing this accident: http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/jun/01/suffragette-emily-davison-knocked-down-kings-horse-video

Some info about Davison: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/davison_emily.shtml

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    I agree @Xanthippe, this film is very well worth watching. I find it incredible that it took so long in Switzerland for women to get the vote (or perhaps not when I think of the comments my Swiss boss used to make!)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @mheredge recommended me to watch it and I think we have discussed it in other threads too. It is awesome movie that should be nominated for Oscar awards as well.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bubbly, I am sorry, I am repetitive but I haven't read this thread. :(
    @Xanthippe don't be sorry. I think Suffragette should be given a special attention because it talks about women's rights. ;) We will talk about it again and again. :)
    It shows that women's rights is still quite a new idea, even in the more 'developed' countries @Xanthippe.
    @mheredge, I didn't know this story well, i.e. how difficult it was to win (window smashing, arson, etc.)
    Well, we should appreciate what we have. :)
    One of the Pankhursts chained herself to the railings of 10 Downing Street in protest against the government @Xanthippe. The First World War did the women's cause a lot of good as they were left at home to keep things going while all the young men were fighting in the trenches. Of course things went back to normal again after the war, so they had to resume their fight until in the end, in 1928 they got the vote. (I think the age limit was higher than for men to start with).
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    Let's support women's rights! :)
    Prince Harry nis in Kathmandu on this, the last day of his five-day visit to Nepal. He is going to be attending the Girls' Summit that starts today @kindgnice. However I read today that women's salaries still fall way behind men's pay in the UK and it is especially tough for women over 40 years of age who are often employed in low-paid jobs that don't use their skills.
    I still couldn't understand why Suffragette didn't get media's attention compared to some classic movies. British media needs to be waken up now as there are certain movies that are not the Hollywood's piece of cake!
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    suffragette films always have get importance.our society appreciate this terms of movies but our society not giving respect to womens,not understand women's feeling.
    Women through history and around the world have come a long way, but still have a long way to go @nain_khan1 before they will have equality.
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    @mheredge not men hurts womens only but mostly women are the enemy of women.
    This sometimes can be the case @nain_khan1. When Margaret Thatcher was prime minister of Britain, she did very little to help women and if anything some things got worse under her administration.
    I have found an interesting article about real motives of Emily Davison (high-tech film analysis): https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/may/26/emily-davison-suffragette-death-derby-1913
    @Xanthippe do you think it is mere an accident?
    @Bubbly, it seems that she didn't want to kill herself at all. Well, this article speaks in favour of it.
    I doubt she wanted to commit suicide too @Xanthippe.
    @mheredge yes that is a point. May be there are some evidences that go against it. But, who cares!
    @Bubbly, you do care if you are a historian. Besides, thanks to such brave ladies, we can vote now (against Law and Justice of course ;) ).
    I saw a very nice photo of a minister in Brazil's parliament breastfeeding in public during a debate. It shows a welcome progressive attitude towards women.
    @Xanthippe I do care. Women should at least speak about their rights at whatever forum is available.

Recently, a woman was killed by a man in the name of honour killing that changed the whole scenario when other women went on a hunger strike till the assurance of the government to pass a bill against honour killing.
    @Bubbly, it is beyond me to understand this concept of 'honour'. It is OK to break with your family members for one reason or the other but to kill them?!!!
    @Xanthippe yes. I wish a woman is also allowed to kill a man in the name of honour killing in a tribal system.
    @Bubbly, the sad fact is that we aren't strong enough. This is the dominance of physical strength. Well, let's use some poison. ;)
    @Xanthippe there are certain dogmatic traditions that need to be broken by the people and it is only possible through education. In feudal system, they don't promote education so that people remain as their slaves forever.
    @Bubbly, yeah, it is about conserving power. :( A very well known mechanism.
    That's why I hate authoritarian systems in every form.

Here you have a suitable quote:

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely" arose as part of a quotation by the expansively named and impressively hirsute John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902). The historian and moralist, who was otherwise known simply as Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
    @Bubbly there's a case right now where a Pakistani woman from the UK died from a 'heart attack' when she was enticed back to visit a seemingly sick relative. Her family had not approved her marriage to the guy she had married. Foul play is suspected and friends in the UK are asking that the British Embassy look into it, as I think her body isn't being returned to the UK.
    @mheredge, that's awful. :(
    It still goes on and even in Britain, there have been several cases of honour killings @Xanthippe.