Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Present perfect

marianmarian Posts: 88 ✭✭
I have some troubles with present perfect. Is it correct to say I have just arrived or I just arrived, if the action ended few minutes before ?
I have used the present perfect, but a friend has corrected me.

Comments

• nona5401nona5401 Posts: 4
    I think it will be correct if you say ' I just have arrived '
    But you should go and know about it :s
  • marianmarian Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @nona5401 thanks for your reply. I think adverb position is right. The matter is on the right tense.
    @catyfiruze maybe you are right, my friend is American.
    @Csilla thanks for sharing this video that is very clear and useful.
    Anyway I tought that I should have always used some adverbs like "already, just, ever, never, yet, recentely, lately and since , for and how long" togheter with present perfect only.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    @marian I'm glad to you understand this video. I can suggest the other engvid videos. Maybe you'll find other interesting subjects for you.
    edited January 2016
    @Csilla I have recentely seen many video with Ronnie on Engvid. She is very funny. I'm surprised that I can understand a whole english lesson so easily. I sometimes see her lessons just to improve my english listening. I usually have a little free time so I can't join live LEO events.
    @Csilla Please suggest me other videos as well!
    edited January 2016
    @marian Pity, you can't join to skype sessions. It'd be very useful, because the speaking is one of the most important thing to learn languages.
    Ronnie is not the only one teacher on YouTube. I suggest this page: engvid.com. There're many videos on YouTube. There're some english lesson with other students, too. (Verbling videos)
    edited January 2016
    Thanks @Csilla . I'll look for them. I agree with you about skype sessions. It'd be helpful to understand the level of activities . I mean beginner, intermediate or advanced. But I think I'm not at all well-informed.
    Are you curious about the level of skype sessions?
    edited January 2016
    Yes, I'm. May you give me more informations? Can I found them on calendar?
    edited January 2016
    Well... I can't give you information about all Skype session, because I don't participate in every session.
    Night Owls - Reading and Conversation and AM/PM Reading and Conversation sessions, Book club and LEN- English Drama, Poetry and Song on Kitely, LEN - Got an hour or two? are intermediate or advanced but beginners are also welcomed. So... vocabulary is necessary.
    Scrabble or talking sessions are for beginners. Check the calendar link on the top.
    You are very kind @Csilla. I'll check the calendar and I'll look for sessions schedule.
    @catyfiruze, I have checked, and actually adverbs like "already", "just" and "yet" are often used with the past simple tense in american english.
  • LindaGLindaG Posts: 11 ✭✭
    My boss use to get angry with me for using "already" he said american people not really use that word, never understand why... for example I use the word to say, I already know that... Is not ok?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,808 mod
    edited January 2016
    LindaG said:

For example I use the word to say, I already know that... Is not ok?

You could say, "Yes, I know", or "I already knew that", but if you say that it sounds as if you are annoyed. Sometimes I say, "Yes, I had heard that", or "So I believe".

Be careful that people don't think you are a "know it all", sometimes just a nod and "uh huh" is enough. :smile:

• WillyWilly Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Maybe just is most used in present perfect and past perfect I was taught with this rule.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,808 mod
    Not really @Willy. It can be used in the present perfect.

I have just read your post.

But it is often used in other tenses - just think about it.