Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you memorise English when you live in a-non-English-country?

LienLien Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
In my English learning process, I see that knowledge of English gradually increase. I stuff new, so I am afraid of forgetting older knowledge. I have to use my native language instead of English language in daily life. I am afraid that my English ability flies away from my head.

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to practice it daily so that your mind accepts it. Memorization of anything is a long term process, you can't learn English or memorize words in a day. You need to be positive first and then determined to learn English daily.

If you want to improve your speaking skills, you should take part in Skype sessions regularly.
  • LienLien Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Thank you @Bubbly How are you today? If you are not under the weather, you should relax and sleep instead of wandering to reply on the forum. If you are better, you return again.
    @Lien I am fine. How are you? Though I am not feeling well but I can't take rest as there is a work assignment that I have to complete till Friday. :)
    edited January 2016
    Well, I am okay. I am still continue to learn English :) Thank you @Bubbly Take care.
  • caueconceicaocaueconceicao Posts: 11 ✭✭
    In my opinion we need to talk, talk, talk... At least it works for me! Practice! Practice! Practice!
    @caueconceicao You are right. I always use English structure when speaking. I remember these structure. However, only some English structures are used and repeat again an again in writing. I'm afraid that the rest of English will fly away from my head, even some simple sentence in English, but I rarely speak, so I forget them. I learn English to get ielts certificate, but my English is low. Well, my Skype ID: Hoaktqd Liên. Can you add me, please? I really want to practise English that I have learnt. I do not know what the time zone is in Brazil.
  • caueconceicaocaueconceicao Posts: 11 ✭✭
    @Lien Time zone in Brazil is -3GMT and now we're in daylight savig time....
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,726 mod
    Talking to yourself even, this is good practice @Lien.
  • Mido_moroccoMido_morocco Posts: 7
    watching english movies without subtitles is it the most efficient way to improve my english skills ?
    @Mildo_morocco this is a good way to practice, but use subtitles until you have a reasonable understanding as they can help too.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I used to listen to the music (in English). I studied by the lyrics. I found a lot of sentences which are very romantic.
  • sammanisammani Posts: 238 ✭✭
    I watch English movies and i listen to english songs.
    @joephan I didn't try English music to learn English but now I think I should explore it as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
  • polyethenepolyethene Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I learn English everyday by listening BBC radio (BBC News and BBC Radio 4) and reading a lot of articles in English (on Flipboard application). I relay like scientific articles connected with biology/chemistry. I want to learn writing in English. Can someone help me with it? Maybe some chats, sides or something else. :)
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @polyethene ,
    first in first, why polyethene?!
    PE(PolyEthylene) is a useful polymer ,but there are some other amazing structures like: PP, PET, PTFE(teflon), PVC and so on.By the way,which do you like more,HDPE or LDPE?!
    I should admit that I envy you because of the name of your profile.Congrats!!You made me jealous ;) .
    Listening to news and reading different articles are intelligent ways for learning English because you learn a lot of things and become up to date.Keep going!!!
    I do it by everyday and continuous process.Watching series and news, listening to music, and being here everyday.
    Hi @navidafrasiabian
    I like chemistry :smiley: and I like polyethylene in shorter version "polyethene".
    HDPE is stronger, stronger like me :smiley: but I can't stand PTFE(teflon) - It's harmful. People suffer for cancer and teflon is the reason.
    By the way!
    Thanks for your words. You realy motivate me to work to improve my English skills! Thanks a lot!
    Are you a native speaker? I guess you are :)
    I am afraid not dear @polyethene !!
    I am Kurdish.I come from Iran and I am 21 year-old.I am studying Chemical engineering at Isfahan University of Technology.My profession is polymers.Like you, I really like(love) chemistry.
    Nice to meet you dear @polyethene !!
    By the way,if you need help about chemistry especially polymers,you can count on me.
    Listening to the BBC is an excellent way to learn English @polyethene. The Forum can help you practice your writing too.

I hadn't realised you are studying in Esfahan @navidafrasiabian (is this the foreign spelling of the same place?) I visited as a tourist many years ago. It was my favourite place in Iran.
    Oh,great @mheredge .
    Yes,we write both Isfahan and Esfahan. Isfahan is one the beautiful cities in the Iran. I am glad to hear that you came there(I use there because I am at Sanandaj. I came home after 3 months.) and you liked it.
    Dear @mheredge , I am a foody person and Isfahan has some great great restaurants. I know some of them.Did you eat Iranian food?!Did you like it?! because if you didn't eat food in those restaurants that at least I know, it will be the biggest mistake of your whole life.
    edited January 2016
    @polyethene BBC radio is an excellent way to improve your English. I used to practice English there. Now, my target is to submit a story in BBC radio for BBC story competition.
    @bubbly Wow!
    If you have your few minutes on BBC radio you'll have to tell me about it!
    Good luck! :D
    I love food from the whole of the Middle East @navidafrasiabian. In Esfahan I was invited back to the home of a guy where I met his mother and sister. (He had worked and lived in the UK for several years before). His mother was a lovely character. Though she couldn't speak English, it seemed as if she could as we didn't find language a barrier at all. But I found everywhere I went, people were very friendly. It was probably one of the easiest places to travel around as a woman on my own.
    @polyethene this is my wish. I don't know I would be able to fulfil it or not. Though it is not an easy task.
    @mheredge
    I don't thing about Facebook in this way, because I have countless number of "friends" who upload selfie with sentence like this:
    "I don't want to die, I want to live forever". So you have more intelligent friends. If I had friends like yours maybe I would check my Facebook
    @polyethene I am also allergic to facebook but I check it once or twice in a month just to keep in touch with my contacts.
  • upkarupkar Posts: 78 ✭✭
    memorizing words is a long process so need to practice more to increase our vocabulary...
    @upkar Agreed but practice on regular basis can help you more.
  • LaszloMarkLaszloMark Posts: 89 ✭✭
    I learned lot of english words, from lyrics. I think i know more than hundred lyrics. I write out the unfamiliar words, and learnt they meanings. The context helped alot!
This discussion has been closed.