Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Cognizant

HeknerHekner Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
Love has its privileges but also some powerful responsibilities. While you may have always been aware of this truth, you seem to be especially cognizant of it now.

cognizant (adjective) /ˈkɒɡ.nɪ.zənt/ (UK usually cognisant) - ​understanding or ​realising something

We should be cognizant of the ​fact that every ​complaint is not a ​justified ​complaint. (CALD)

"The world was a fantastic, marvelous, awesome place, Rose decided."

Comments

• HeknerHekner Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "... she'd been attracted to Buddhism, then she came back, immersed herself, had flirted with the thought of becoming a nun—but even in her piety she was cognizant of her skepticism, a deep and quiet current."
    "The world was a fantastic, marvelous, awesome place, Rose decided."
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    For every suggestions our clients wanted to share with us, we have to be cognizant at all times. :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We should cognizant of the fact that @filauzio has the best writing expression on the forum. ;)
    Being cognizant to what our Director is discussing to us is an important factor to understand the current state of the company.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the age of your earlier youth your being cognizant is probably limited to the outer surfaces of things, you don't go more deeply into them; and you don't have to either, the shiny surfaces of the beautiful things will do you and the matter is rightly settled so.
    Later on, you become aware that there might be something else, your self is cognizant that all that glitters is not gold, but, even so, you're also cognizant to be at the apex of your strength and your ambition, besides, stretches to such a point you are sure you may deal with wathever got in your way.
    Unfortunately, sometimes this is the age when you avoid taking care of whom would deserve your tunnel vision, but you think the world outside needs you, and so it takes precedence over whom disappears out of your mind and get deserted.

There's a famous Italian rock singer, by the name of Luciano Ligabue, among whose songs there's one which gets a line in its lyrics reading about:

' life is stronger than your repeatedly answering her no '

The moment always comes, when life presents you the bill and sometimes it happens that you're late to pay it off.
    You might have to be cognizant and regretful at the same time, besides at the higher degree, and it could be very painful, believe me.
    Then, I allow me to give you my advise, better, a humble plea: do not neglect people you're very fond of, not to have to be cognizant of misbehaviour when it's too late to repair; love gets precedence over all, you must be cognizant of that.

I'm cognizant, @Bubbly, that if you keep complimenting me this way, my face will flush up with embarrassment, resulting as one red pepper; you don't want it, do you ? :| <3
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @filauzio you are my teacher now as you motivate me write with a different expression. I must say that a cognizant person like you can do wonder in the field of literature or politics with his indepth view of the world. If that ASS can do wonder mere writing satirically, you are much better than him. I don't know what are you waiting for? You must find out some magazine and start writing your own column. People will really like it.
    If you are cognizant to all possibilities, you will have a lot of options to consider.
    You make me dream @Bubbly, I appreciate that, because life should be a dream.
    I live in a country, Italy, where you can keep dreaming until you begin applying for a job: there the dream vanishes. Your application for job is often a losing bet, but you keep struggling until you strike at least one compromise, though often unfavorable, where rather than taking the middle course, you're forced under the yoke of a humble job you wouldn't have ever thought you might get involved in.
    However this is the life and you have to get a living in a way, however it be.
    Now you make me feel like a ox, joined to others like oxen, under the yoke, all being well cognizant of their state, who are told there's a shiny sun full of promises over their heads, but who, so far, are just slowly moving on, stepping forward over their own shadows, ruminating over how to post anything worthwhile on the forum, not to disappoint their teacher @Bubbly.
    Have you ever come across a yoked ox which threw off the yoke by itself ?
    For now, I hope someone will keep liking me on the forum, I don't want bite off more than I can chew, because, by now, I just can chew and ruminate that little, I'm still an ox. ;)

BTW nevertheless I'll think about it, @Bubbly ;)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    @filauzio: There's no harm in dreaming my friend. As they say, dream high, soar high. :)
  • arvindsonyarvindsony Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Hi experts, really this is very interesting section,i noted down so many new words and trying to use those words in my daily life. as i am a learner, i will need your help because you people are cognizant of language.
    @filauzio oh my god, really you are cognizant in writing :smile:
    Thank you @arvindsony; my advice is: keep on this way, and in no time you'll learn much more English words and you'll get points and badges too, with the help of the many friends you'll come across here.
    But mind you; you need our help but we need your help too: you have to be cognizant of that. ;)
  • arvindsonyarvindsony Posts: 61 ✭✭
    @ filauzio
    thanks
    Being cognizant while watching movies is very important.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shake out the wet umbrella before you enter a building in Japan.
    All Japanese are cognizant in this manner.
    Being cognizant way back my vacay at Japan, I noticed that buildings are also called as prefectures? Am I right my friend? @Shiny03
    @kindgnice Prefectures..you mean the region administered by a prefect?!
    Have you ever been there,my friend?
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Before marriage he was a lover and after marriage he is cognizant of his duties as a husband.
    @Shiny03 wrote: »
    @kindgnice Prefectures..you mean the region administered by a prefect?!
    Have you ever been there,my friend?

Oh I think this is the link about prefectures.
    https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefectures_of_Japan
    I thought it was the offices of 'Osaka Prefecture'. I thought you went there before.(being famous as a landmark)
    I was impressed by your well informed of those places...I was wrong.

@dudukot Is that your wish ;D By the way, good concept and good sentence.
    Thanks my friend Shiny. I had observed this when almost all of the buildings in Japan are using prefectures as part of their building names. He he ;) @Shiny03
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    I found this discussion very interesting.

This article suggests how it is hard to work out when the Western stereotype of Buddhist meditation changed but suggests it was some time between the 1950s, when Zen Buddhism became all the craze, and the early 21st century, when mindfulness meditation apparently seeped into Wall Street and Silicon Valley (I never really knew that).

Hedge fund manager David Ford summarised the benefits of meditation in this way: “I react to volatile markets much more calmly now.”

So Buddhist practice that was once seen as maybe subversive and something for dreamers is now argued to be a capitalist tool. It had gone from deepening your insight to sharpening your edge.

Is mindfulness meditation, as practiced by millions of Westerners, bullshit? Not worthless but has it strayed so far from its Buddhist roots that we might as well just call it a therapy or a hobby?

It is an interesting theory. What do you think @filauzio, @Bubbly, @Xanthippe?

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/ALa3Gw/:fYC.CGQ3:KIM1KJ4x/www.wired.com/2017/08/the-science-and-philosophy-of-mindfulness-meditation
    Thank you for sharing @mheredge. I'll have a look at the article. I have to say, however, that I don't know anything about Buddhism, other than Buddhists are perhaps very peaceful people who want to live in harmony with the world and its inhabitants.
    I think that in an era when people usually go wikipedia-deep in whatever happens to cross their mind, you can think it plausible, that the majority of western buddhists are holding this religion more as a relieving set of ritual practices and mind-emptying ways of meditation, than as a religion born and evolved, along centuries, upon layers and layers of knowledge, worship and devotion experiences, together with meditation-led wisdom.
    As soon as I heard of footballers going buddhists, though, I'm afraid it's rather something dealing with fashions. I absolutely can't fancy a footballer going deeper into anything other than a goal.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    I wonder sometimes as people's motives for some things @filauzio. Maybe they think it is fashionable or a bit 'different' rather than because they are genuinely interested by the faith. Then again there are a lot of Buddhists who are Buddhist like a lot of people are Christian: because that's how they were brought up and not because they really understand what the faith is really about. I'm not sure which is worse.
    Then, @mheredge, if someone told me that there exists a way to get enlightened while even relaxed, what more could I ask the lavish fate for ? Then, rather sadly though, I suppose, many people, on reading that at the entrance of the hall, rather than ' gym ' the sign reads ' Buddhist temple ' might think it a consistent consequence of the ever-increasing thriving passion for foreign things, even with names and titles.
    Could you rather think of people joining stiff congregations where everything, from the floor up to the ceiling, and all which stands in the middle, are always tense, with believers only just enlightened when passing under a neon light ?
    For instance, could you ever fancy a Calvinist footballer ?
    The fashion, I suppose, always follows easy paths, and even easier is to account for it.