Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

New Year Traditions

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 3,898 mod
Across the globe there are many different things that people choose to do in order to celebrate the new year. Personally, I will be spending time with my family as this is something precious that we don't always get time to do. I know that everybody has different ideas of the perfect way to spend new year, so what is yours?
Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,098 mod
    I'm going to be in Ho Chi Minh City for New Year's Eve. I don't know how they see the new year in. In Cambodia they have three new years but I don't know how many they celebrate in Vietnam.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,644 mod
    I'm always confused at New Year. Do I welcome the New Year in at 12 midnight in Germany, or wait an hour for New Year in the UK?
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to reassure my dog. She is scared of fireworks, poor creature ;(
  • bisobiso Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to celebrate new year with my family, we will be in Florence and I don't know if we will see the fireworks that they make from the hill just up Florence(Piazzale Michelangelo). All people will see them long Arno river for a wonderful show.
  • ElvinElvin Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure yet, but probably I'll join my family. Usually they celebrate this holiday at home with some guests.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to work until 10pm on new year's day. So there would not be much choice left for me. I would celebrate it at a bar nearby.
    I'm usually a party pooper and don't tend to bother seeing in the new year. I'll probably curl up with a good book and have an early night.
  • christtinarosechristtinarose Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I am eagerly waiting for the new year, well, I usually spend new year with my family, eat chocolates and desserts.Sometimes I go to gurdwara (sikh temple) and pray for my better life.Its very good experience to celebrate your first few hours of your new year in the gurudwara..
  • valec22valec22 Posts: 5
    I'm going to celebrate New Year with my best friends and my girlfriend, it will be a little party but i hope good B)
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭
    I will go to his/her house and tell Happy new year!! :D :D
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭
    Our new year is totally different from America or Europe.It happens in spring.We call it Nowrooz(new day).One of the important traditions that Iranians have is Sofreye haftsin(ُSeven S Tablecloth).Sofreye haftsin is a collection from some materials that the first letter of their name is S (in Persian) and they are symbols for life , Happiness, kindness, love.The Sofreye haftsin includes:apple(sib),garlic(seer),sumac(somagh),silver berry(senjed),coin(sekke),vinegar(serke),grass(sabze).Each one is a symbol of something as I said.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We celebrate new year by sending messages, wishes to our family members. Then, every year I wait for fireworks in Islamabad on this eve that is so amazing. :)
  • jay416jay416 Posts: 40 ✭✭
    me and three friends of mine will go hongdae and we will eat some korean food and after buy cake and come back dormitory hang together until 12 :)
  • ArvindArvind Posts: 0
    On New Year's Day I'll go for tour outside of Home town with my friends. And We all enjoy over there.We decided to help some people who are very poor who have not able to do anything and have not enough money to buy foods we provide them foods and necessary things.
    It's a public holiday in Vietnam and I've decided to see the new year in Ho Chi Minh City. Christmas I have decided, I will spend in the Mekong Delta area.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,898 mod
    I also enjoy watching fireworks. If I can drive (if I haven't had any alcohol) I enjoy driving to the top of a hill and watching all of the fireworks over the city. It is always a wonderful sight to see indeed.
  • joncunhajoncunha Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    With friends, playing videogame , board games etc.
    @mheredge are you from Vietnam? What did you do on public holiday?
    I'm on holiday in Vietnam @joncunha. If I can stay awake long enough, I might try to see the fireworks tonight. Otherwise, killjoy that I am, I might have an early night!
    That is nice @mheredge ! After tell us how was the fireworks. :)
    @joncunha Any special video games on new year eve.? :)
  • bisobiso Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    With my family are going to see fireworks in downtown at midnight.
    @Bubbly Videogames like xbox etc. But what I prefer and what I will play more is board games. It is so good!
    @joncunha I am sure it is fun to play games with friends. :)
    edited December 2015
    Yes @Bubbly it is amazing. What you gonna do?
    @joncunha nothing. Just will work in the office. We don't celebrate this day as such except sending messages and wishes to others.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,776 mod
    No fireworks in Brussels, but there will be (still) in Antwerp.
    I'll watch it on TV, though.
    Really @Bubbly ? Where are you from?
    @joncunha I am from Pakistan.

@april but there is fireworks in Islamabad. I will also watch it on TV as it will be late at night.
This discussion has been closed.