Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Your Writing - An Introduction

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 3,637 mod
Hello,

I always enjoy seeing you improve your English here on Learn English Online, but in addition to the lessons that are completed, it's also important that you're able to use English in everyday situations as and when you need to. For example, if you need to write a college application, a letter to your bank, or even write an email to a loved one. You might want to write a short story or poem to show us your creative side!

So, we have decided that as well as making corrections on the lessons on the main website, we will also correct other things, when needed, too.

If you have written something in English that you would like to be checked - or if you just want to write a few paragraphs for fun - here's the place to post it.

I will correct your posts as soon as I possibly can, just as I do with the lessons, meaning that you will know that your English is perfect before you use it in a real life situation.

To get your correction, simply post a new discussion in this part of the forum ("Your Writing") and a correction will be provided as soon as possible.

I look forward to reading your writing!

Gemma

Comments

• GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @GemmaRowlands, it seems I did a lot of mistakes. But it's the best way to learn.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi dear @GemmaRowlands ,
    this is amazing! I know a lot of people that have big problems in writing so, I think this is great idea!
    I really like to participate but I have a lot of university stuff,thus,I am not free.I promise I will be active member in this discussion as soon as I find a free time!!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,645 mod
    I'm not sure where we should put our text actually.
    Here or in a new discussion, @GemmaRowlands and @Lynne ?
    I see that @Lynne splits the corrected texts, so .....
  • ZomZom Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @april, Gemma said,
    To get your correction, simply post a new discussion in this part of the forum ("Your Writing") and ...
    So I think that each member's piece of writing has got to be a new discussion under the category "Your Writing".

It could be, @Xeb , thanks. :)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,637 mod
    Yes, please create a new discussion if you have written something that you would like me to correct :) it makes it easier for you to find your corrections rather than everybody posting in the same thread :).
    Okay, @GemmaRowlands .
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,659 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands Thank you very much indeed. It seems I will be regular here. :)
  • asksasaasksasa Posts: 6
    Dear @GemmaRowlands,

please help with my cover letter (CV i wrote separately).

Here it is:

Dear Hiring Manager,

Please consider my resume for the position of Internet Researcher.

My resume is enclosed for your review. Given my related experience and capabilities I would appreciate your consideration for this job opening.

I have experience in researching internet for informations about people, companies and products and I am familiar with variety of W and other applications.
    My main reference in crowdsourcing is online work at XYZ. I have almost 3000 tasks completed with Total Approved Rate of 98%.
    I have experience in sales and customer service. This experience has taught me the importance of ascertaining customers needs and providing clear and accurate information in response to those needs, and to work effectively in a team. I have good working knowledge of English. I am equipped with reliable PC with internet speed of 10Mbps.
    I have four years of college experience (Faculty XYZ). When I was close to graduation, I had to change direction and start work.
    I believe that I would be an asset to your office. This position would provide me with the ideal opportunity to contribute aggregating the data that create largest repository of business leads.
    My schedule is flexible, and I would be available to work at your convenience.

I hope to schedule an interview at a mutually convenient time. I look forward to speaking with you.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
    XYZ
    Hi @asksasa I would be happy to help you. This is a great cover letter, so there is not much that needs to be changed, but I have attached a corrected copy for you underneath.

Gemma

----

Dear Hiring Manager,

Please consider my resume for the position of Internet Researcher.

My resume is enclosed for your review. Given my related experience and capabilities I would appreciate your consideration for this job opening.

I have experience in internet research, searching for information about people, companies and products, and I am familiar with a variety of W and other applications.
    My main reference in crowdsourcing is online work at XYZ. I have almost 3000 completed tasks with a Total Approved Rate of 98%.
    I have experience in sales and customer service. This experience has taught me the importance of ascertaining customers' needs, providing clear and accurate information in response to those needs, and to work effectively in a team. I have a good working knowledge of English. I am equipped with a reliable PC with an internet speed of 10Mbps.
    I have four years of college experience (Faculty XYZ). When I was close to graduation, I had a change in direction and started work.
    I believe that I would be an asset to your office. This position would provide me with the ideal opportunity to contribute to aggregating the data that creates the largest repository of business leads.
    My schedule is flexible, and I would be available to work at your convenience.

I hope to schedule an interview at a mutually convenient time. I look forward to speaking with you.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
    XYZ
  • asksasaasksasa Posts: 6
    Thank you @GemmaRowlands
  • LindaGLindaG Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I use to speake alone with myself on english, and for the writing I only write basic concepts, so I guess I will try to write more, kind of diary.
    Hello @LindaG

Thank you for posting in this thread. I look forward to reading your diary. Here is your correction for your post.

Gemma

----

I used to speak alone with myself in English, and for writing I only write basic concepts, so I guess I will try to write more, kind of a diary.
  • upito009upito009 Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands What do you think of my method of self learning: every time I want to write something and I am not sure about the spelling, I first go to an online transalator and then I am writing it down. Do you think it is advantageous for actually remembering the words that I am not sure how to spell? As I was writing this down right now, I checked "advantageous" and "spelling". :)
  • upito009upito009 Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands I should have checked "transAlator" as well, shouldn't I? :smiley:
    Hi @upito009 yes I think that is the best way to learn a new word. If you learn little by little, every time you need to, you will soon find that your vocabulary is expanding massively, and that you are able to speak much better English because of it.
  • Penelope204Penelope204 Posts: 70 ✭✭
    Hi @GemmaRowlands , in my last English exam there was a writing and we had to talk about the climate change. So I want to write something and if you can correct me I'll be happy.

Nowadays the weather is changing. The natural flow of whether is chaning It happens because of a lot of factors. One of that could be the pollution. It is made by human. For exmple he use many time the car to go everywhere, when he might use the bicycle to do 1 km. Also the tecnology could be a factor to icrease the pollution. All them magnetic waves produce a lot of CO2. Moreover the excessive use of heating, the excessive producion of non-recyclable waste, the excessive use of energy in general could be many factors which icrease the pollution. And obviously all that causes get the wheather changed. And we may see that looking the season. There is no more 4 season. But there are only two thre there is two hot or too cold. spring is disappear. Another big problem are the factories and the pollution they make. If we think about factory the firs thing are sewers. We can't imagine what the factory get out of. that's why there are not many controls about the scurity or cleanliness. an in the meantime factories get out a lot of toxic substances. But Human don't stop here. He want to cut down every tree he see for building city or palace. But he do not know that we need the tree to have an oxygen? So there is the problem about deforestation. Humans cry because of natural disaster but many of that are produced by him. I think we have to love more our planet because if we don't do it, it could turn up of us. And the catastrophes will be more frequen then ever.
    Hello @Penelope204 thank you for your post, I enjoyed reading it. I have written your correction for it below!

----

Nowadays, the weather is changing. The natural flow of weather is changing and it happens because of a lot of factors. One of these factors could be pollution. It is made by humans. For example, we often use the car to go everywhere, when we could use a bicycle to do 1km. Also, technology could be a factor in increasing pollution. All of the magnetic waves produce a lot of CO2. Moreover, excessive use of heating, excessive production of non-recyclable waste, and excessive use of energy in general, could be factors which increase the pollution. And obviously all that causes the weather to change. And we may see that looking at the season. There are no more 4 seasons. But there are only two or three, they are too hot or too cold. Spring has disappeared. Another big problem are the factories and the pollution they make. If we think about factories the first thing are sewers. We can't imagine what comes out of the factory. That's why there are not many controls about cleanliness. In the meantime, factories put out a lot of toxic substances. But humans don't stop here. They want to cut down every tree they see to build cities or palaces. But they do not know that we need the trees to have oxygen. So there is the problem about deforestation. Humans cry because of natural disaster, but many of them are produced by us. I think we have to love our planet more because if we don't do it, the catastrophes will be more frequent than ever.
    Thank you very much. It will be useful! How do you think I write in English?
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,659 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Penelope204 start from anywhere by keeping your area of interest in mind. :)
  • NedainlearningNedainlearning Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Hello @GemmaRowlands . My name is Neda. I am a new member. I am very glad to meet you.
  • detrdetr Posts: 2
    Hello Gemma, could You help me with my summary to my master's thesis? I don't have to much time, so I writed something very quickly and I think there can be a lot of things wrong :) I will be grateful for your help.

" Summary
    This thesis present one kind of financial analysis, which is ratio analysis. Subject of analysis is one of the biggest polish joint-stock company – KGHM Polska Miedź S.A.
    The subject of thesis was selected because of author interest financial analysis in enterprise and desire to determine how it describe real activity of business. Financial analysis is inherent element of management in enterprise. Ratio type of financial analysis deliver in fast way values describing activity of business. Thanks to it is possible to make important decisions, which decide about the future of enterprise.
    The goal of thesis is attempt to answer question how application of financial analysis assists estimate of financial situation of examining enterprise. Furthermore this thesis give answer on a question in which financial standing was joint-stock company KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. in years 2010-2014 and how much were worth its shares which are quoted on Warsaw Stock Exchange.
    The research method which have to help in achieve intended goal is analysis of financial statements joint-stock company KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. in years 2010-2014 and review existing literature concerning subject of ratio analysis.
    The thesis is divided on 4 chapters. In the first chapter are presented theoretical aspects of financial analysis. In the second chapter is included description of calculation individual ratios. The third chapter contain calculation of values ratio of financial analysis on the base of data describing activity KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. in years 2010-2014. In the last chapter take attempt of estimate usefulness financial analysis in diagnosis financial situation of enterprise. At the end of thesis are summing-up and conclusion.
    "
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,272 mod
    Hi @GemmaRowlands , in my last English exam there was a writing and we had to talk about the climate change. So I want to write something and if you can correct me I'll be happy.

Nowadays the weather is changing. The natural flow of whether is chaning It happens because of a lot of factors. One of that could be the pollution. It is made by human. For exmple he use many time the car to go everywhere, when he might use the bicycle to do 1 km. Also the tecnology could be a factor to icrease the pollution. All them magnetic waves produce a lot of CO2. Moreover the excessive use of heating, the excessive producion of non-recyclable waste, the excessive use of energy in general could be many factors which icrease the pollution. And obviously all that causes get the wheather changed. And we may see that looking the season. There is no more 4 season. But there are only two thre there is two hot or too cold. spring is disappear. Another big problem are the factories and the pollution they make. If we think about factory the firs thing are sewers. We can't imagine what the factory get out of. that's why there are not many controls about the scurity or cleanliness. an in the meantime factories get out a lot of toxic substances. But Human don't stop here. He want to cut down every tree he see for building city or palace. But he do not know that we need the tree to have an oxygen? So there is the problem about deforestation. Humans cry because of natural disaster but many of that are produced by him. I think we have to love more our planet because if we don't do it, it could turn up of us. And the catastrophes will be more frequen then ever.

Your essay is impressive. Keep it up! @Penelope204 :)
    Hello @detr I have taken a look at your summary and posted an edited version below. It may not be perfect, as I don't have an understanding about your subject matter, however I have tried my best to improve the English.

----

Summary
    This thesis presents one kind of financial analysis, which is ratio analysis. The subject of the analysis is one of the biggest polish joint-stock companies – KGHM Polska Miedź S.A.
    The subject of the thesis was selected because of the author's interest in financial analysis in enterprise and the desire to determine how it describes the real activity of the business. Financial analysis is an inherent element of management in enterprise. Ratio analysis quickly delivers values describing the activity of a business. Thanks to this type of analysis, it is possible to make important decisions, which decide upon the future of the enterprise.
    The goal of the thesis is to attempt to answer the question of how the application of financial analysis assists in estimating the financial situation of the examined enterprise. Furthermore, this thesis gives the answer to a question in which financial standing was joint-stock company KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. between the years 2010-2014, and how much its shares were worth as quoted on the Warsaw Stock Exchange.
    The research method which has helped to achieve the intended goals is the analysis of financial statements joint-stock company KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. between the years 2010-2014 and also a review of existing literature concerning the subject of ratio analysis.
    The thesis is divided into 4 chapters. The first chapter presents theoretical aspects of financial analysis. The second chapter includes a description of calculation individual ratios. The third chapter contains a calculation of values ratio of financial analysis on the base of data describing activity from KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. between the years 2010-2014. The last chapter attempts to estimate the usefulness of financial analysis in diagnosing the financial situation of an enterprise. At the end of thesis is a summary and conclusion.
  • detrdetr Posts: 2
    Thank You so much, that's what I need :).
    Please feel free to write down here your messages, and @GemmaRowlands will be always at your service. ;)
    @GemmaRowlands I wrote a text about my last holiday I wish you read it and give me a feedback.

I would talk about my last journey in Lisbon. I stayed there for nine days and in that days I followed in love with that city. Even though in 1700 there was an earthquake that destroyed almost the whole city, there are also some neighborhoods that are remained. This quarters are for example Alfama, were l stayed, or Barrio Alto, Barrio Rossio and Chiado. In that ones you can see the real life of Lisbon’s people. The whole city is built above two big mountains and that’s why the roads are uphill and downhill. It was as difficult as wonderful walking into that roads because you can see a lot of historical building like S. Jorge castle. It was the most unassailable castle of Lisbon, that’s why it is in a high position respect the city and the guards could see the enemies when they were coming. There I could see a lot of peacock that they show off when people saw them. I amazed of how that animals can be so intelligent by showing off only when there are a lot of people who see them. Because if there is no people they don’t open their tails.
    Also in Alfama you can be amazed by the façades of the houses. They are built with “azuleyas” that are coloured tiles with abstract or flower drowing. There are lots of museums and wonderful cathedrals that you can visit. And if you want eat some fresh fish Lisbon is the best city where to go. I ate in different restaurants and the fish always was fresh. I ate crabs, prawns, clams and mussels and everything was very good. Even the prices was very good. Once I paid 15 euros for two persons eating two kind of fish, fried chips, mix salad, bread, water and an half litre of red wine. Also the wine is typical there. There isn’t many wine’s producers but what they produce is delicious. Anyway a could say many things about Lisbon but I leave you to discover its wonderful history and culture.
    Hello @Penelope204 :) thank you for posting your work. I have corrected it below for you.

Gemma

----

I will talk about my last journey in Lisbon. I stayed there for nine days and in those days I fell in love with the city. Even though in 1700 there was an earthquake that destroyed almost the whole city, there are some neighborhoods that remained. These quarters are for example Alfama, where l stayed, Barrio Alto, Barrio Rossio and Chiado. Here, you can see the real life of Lisbon’s people. The whole city is built above two big mountains and that’s why the roads are uphill and downhill. It was as difficult as it was wonderful walking along those roads because you can see a lot of historical buildings like S. Jorge castle. It was the most unassailable castle of Lisbon, that’s why it is in a high position respecting the city so that the guards could see enemies when they were coming. There I could see a lot of peacocks that showed off when people saw them. I was amazed at how the animals could be so intelligent by showing off only when there were a lot of people who could see them. Because if there are no people, they don’t open their tails.
    Also, in Alfama you can be amazed by the façades of the houses. They are built with “azuleyas” that are coloured tiles with abstract or flower drawings. There are lots of museums and wonderful cathedrals that you can visit. And if you want to eat some fresh fish, Lisbon is the best city to go to. I ate in different restaurants and the fish always was fresh. I ate crabs, prawns, clams and mussels and everything was very good. Even the prices were very good. Once I paid 15 euros for two people eating two kinds of fish, fried chips, mixed salad, bread, water and half a litre of red wine. Also the wine is typical there. There isn’t many wine producers but what they produce is delicious. Anyway, I could say many things about Lisbon but I will leave you to discover its wonderful history and culture.
  • dudukotdudukot Posts: 40 ✭✭
    GemmaRowlands @ Simply your help is great. Hope I will try later here to write and take your advice.
    @dudukot said:

GemmaRowlands @ Simply your help is great. Hope I will try later here to write and take your advice.

Thanks for sharing your post here my friend. I'm sure @GemmaRowlands is glad to help you out. ;)