Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Smartphones are making people dumb

The Smartphones have entirely changed the world of communication, and the impact of its introduction is visible on personal as well as professional lives. Smartphones come with multi-functional tools and several number of apps which bring uncountable benefits to businesses both large and small. It is the prime reason behind the name ‘Smartphones.’ However, there is a group which believes that Smartphones are making people dumb. Do you agree with the statement?

Comments

• bharat584bharat584 Posts: 41 Inactive
    No, i don't agree with it because Smartphones are directly related to technology. How can Smartphone make people dumb when the technology related to it changes forcing the people to get acquainted with latest changes?
  • WhisktsWhiskts Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I think some people say that, because we don't have to learn new stuff. We don;t have to remember lots thing as we had to when there wasn't google and we couldn't serch everything. But with smart using technology (incuding smartphones) we are in fact smarter. So, smartphones doesen't make people dumber, they already are dumb.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,513 mod
    It's a bit like electronic calculators. In the old days, sums were done in your head or with a scrap of paper @bharat584. Now many people rely on them even for the most basic sums that could be so easily done without resorting to tapping numbers into a calculator.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    It's true, four people get in taxi and everyone to chatting on smartphone without doing a word between them. Everyone dumb.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We have no escape as we don't have other options if we stop using smartphones. The only issue is people are now accepting them as a vital part of their lives.
    @mheredge I agree with your point because sometime i also do the same I know the answer but i use to search on google for confirmation..
    @mheredge I agree with your point because sometime i also do the same, As i know the answer but i use to search on google for confirmation.. but that doesn't mean we don't use the resources we have .. If technology is improving we have to improve as well.. if we are here to improve our english in this Forum somehow i think Smartphones are also helping peoples to get connected to this forum.. due to this we are able to talk with different people of the world..isn't that is great :)
    @Bubbly .. we have to accept it otherwise, we will remain backward...
    @bharat584 even going with technology can make us backward, if we lose our values. :)
    @biso this is also true.. but someone have to take initiative to start the conversation.. i don't think there is any mistake of Smartphones in it..
    True @bharat584. Communication is great. But I worry about people losing the art of face to face communication. Obviously this is not always possible but it can make people lazy.
    @Bubbly I agree with your point.. but in today's world, we are more valuable if we are good with technology.. In corporate sector as well i have seen many times person with good knowledge suffering due to lack of technique ..
    @bharat584 Mistakes are made people who don't try speaking.
    @biso agree with you :)
    @bharat584 but mostly people misuse technology even at workplace. But, I agree with you people should learn the technical knowledge by using technology especially for data management.
    Many people get into the taxi without say good morning,what can we expect from them.
    @biso It's not about them, it's about you. :) You can say good morning to them if they don't. :)
    @Bubbly I always say good morning to them... ;)
    @biso I know. :) So you have done your job. You can't make others to be like you. :)
  • ctpokectpoke Posts: 12 ✭✭
    If you know how to use it, smartphone is a very useful device but if only thing you do with your smartphone is looking at social media for hours pointlessly, it will definitely make you dumb. I'm not saying we shouldn't use social media, no, I use it too but not too much. You can use your smartphone when you want to search or look up something, you can't find a computer anytime
    @ctpoke I think it is quite handy and we can easily use it everywhere as compared to the laptop. My smartphone is really helpful as it gives me the updated information about my emails, Skype, and even I use forum through it that is why I am an active member. :)
  • ctpokectpoke Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Yes, you are right that it's so handy. For example, I wonder about something and I may look up with my smartphone immediately
  • diskvndiskvn Posts: 65 Inactive
    It's not because of the devices, It's all about how people use it. Limit your time using the meaningless apps will make smartphone more useful. Dont let yourself depend too much on the phone
    I use the phone to talk to people or to send short messages. The screen is too small for much else.
    @diskvn totally agreed with your point..
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a smartphone, a Nokia C3 from 5 years ago hihi what I miss about smartphones is the pictures quality, cause I only have 2 mp
    @Bubbly and @ctpoke agreed, Yes it is very handy and you can save lots of contact in it which help you to get connected to more and more people anytime anywhere.. You can remember about 5 to 10 contact in your mind hardly but with smartphone unlimited :)
    @diskvn ..true wording, its all in your control how to use it.. this in only a device but all depends on you How you use it.. :)
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 127 ✭✭
    I think telephone or smartphone only the device that has function to helping and supporting our activities. It could bring benefit or disadvantages, dependent of the users that utilize them thoughtful corresponding the needs or not.
    Now, the smartphone have occupied the whole our life. Say, we can not life without them, so we oftentimes forget or not care enough the peoples or anything around us and busy with "world in our hand" look likes autism people, and I am included in :D.

Everything which is far away from us feeling close but the things or person that close with us seemed far away. It is the new phenomenon that caused by technology especially smartphone.
    @icha_15 i am totally agreed with your this point "Everything which is far away from us feeling close but the things or person that close with us seemed far away. It is the new phenomenon that caused by technology especially smartphone." its very much true :)