Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

If you could buy one thing right now, what would it be and why?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 4,917 mod
If you were told that you could make one purchase of your choice right now - and you're not allowed to buy an expensive item and sell it - what would it be?

I would personally want to buy an apartment, because I need somewhere that I own without having to pay rent on it every month. So that would certainly be what I wanted to buy if I was given the option.

What about you? If you were told that you could buy one thing to improve your everyday life, right now, what would it be?

Comments

• nickwunickwu Posts: 51 ✭✭
    "and you're not allowed to buy an expensive item"---You means the apartment is cheaper?OMG! In our country,maybe to buy a house in the downtown will cost all your life to payment....
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,145 mod
    That's a fair point @nickwu. You say it shouldn't be something very expensive @GemmaRowlands. An apartment in the UK costs an arm and a leg in the UK (two arms and two legs in London).

I can think of any particular item I need, though I am thinking about refitting my bathroom and kitchen that are falling to pieces. But that will be quite expensive and is more than one thing.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,917 mod
    I don't live in London. But that isn't what I meant. I meant that you're not allowed to choose an expensive item so that you can sell it and have the money from it instead. I would buy the apartment and live in it. Hopefully that makes more sense!
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    a trip ticket to the most awesome places in the world for mum and dad
  • lilysekarlilysekar Posts: 4
    i would buy machine which it can make money, because if i have it, i can buy anything without work hard. BUT it's imposibble. i think people in the world same with me.
    @zakaria_dandouni1 I love your idea, because you want to do something nice for other people. @lilysekar I think that is a great idea too, but sadly I don't think it's possible, what a shame!
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @GemmaRowlands
  • IwonaIwona Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I would buy a trip around the world. I love travelling.
    That sounds like a wonderful thing to buy, and I would very much like to travel round the world too. It would be a fantastic experience that would be like no other.
    Right now the most useful (and incredibly cheap) thing I want to buy is a watch battery!
    That is a very simple thing to buy, but yet it is very important too, as you will always need to make sure that you are able to tell the time no matter where you are. I hope that your new battery lasts for a long time!
    I was given a choice of a cheaper battery costing one dollar, or an 'expensive ' one ($1.5) that came with a year's warranty @GemmaRowlands! Needless to say I got the slightly dearer one in the hope I won't need to change it again too soon.
    A year's warranty is a good thing, because at least you know you won't have to worry incase anything goes wrong, as you will get it replaced. So I think that you made the right choice there.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,212 Teacher
    I'd buy the rights to all gun and warmongering manufacture. Then sack everyone involved and make them do something better!
    The only problem is finding that particular vendor in this town in Nepal again @GemmaRowlands. I think he's onto a fairly safe bet that I won't come back demanding my money back if conks out in under a year!
    I tried to get a small mouse yesterday. The shop only had giant ones. I need to see if I can find one today.
    What do you want a mouse for @mheredge do you mean a live mouse or a mouse for a computer?
    A mini-mouse for my laptop @GemmaRowlands. I'm not sure Immigration would be too impressed if I tried smuggling in a live mouse to the countries I'm visiting in the next few weeks.
    Ah okay I understand what you mean now. No, you might struggle to take a real mouse abroad with you!
  • OmerHOmerH Posts: 129 ✭✭
    I'd buy a an apartment with a great view.
    Today I really can't think there's anything other than maybe some food later! I don't need to buy anything.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @zakaria_dandouni1 I would like to have a world tour. :)
    Rat. Today I'm looking for rat for lunch.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,615 mod
    I would buy a house in Tagaytay so that my Mom will feel the cold weather there. :)
    I am sure that your mother would really like that, what a beautiful thing to want to do!
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,615 mod

I am sure that your mother would really like that, what a beautiful thing to want to do!

Thanks my friend. I really love my Mom and I will do and give everything that will make her happy. :)
  • JezzdavidJezzdavid Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I would by necessary equipments to expand my business
    I'm thinking that I might need to invest in some shorts or a summer skirt as I'm about to head to the beach and I only have cool weather clothes with me.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @Jezzdavid you have a big plan for your business. I am sure you will get all necessary equipment that you want. It will take time but don't give up on your dream.
    mheredge said:

I'm thinking that I might need to invest in some shorts or a summer skirt as I'm about to head to the beach and I only have cool weather clothes with me.

That is the problem when you're travelling around a lot of places with different climates. You are likely to struggle to take all of the clothes with you that you need.