Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is your favourite thing to do in the winter?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,307 mod
It is winter in my country (England) now, so I thought I would ask about what your favourite thing to do was.

Here, I enjoy it when we get snow, as I am able to go out for walks and leave my footprints in the snow, and this is something that I enjoy a lot.

What about you? Are you the type of person who likes to be out in the cold, or do you prefer to sit by the fire and stay warm?

Comments

• SenoritaSenorita Posts: 4
    Mine is drinking coffee and having peanuts in nights
  • WhisktsWhiskts Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I love walk in the evening when around me is snow, there is dark, but streetlights on. Empty streets. It's something beauty in this.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    Yes I like it when nobody has yet walked through the snow, and you are the first one to leave your footprints in it. There is something that is definitely magical about this happening, and I hope that I am able to do it this year.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel crazy and funny . I'll pray to god forgive me about my mistakes
  • AchaAcha Posts: 49 ✭✭
    crawling back to my blanket in the morning
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to do literary work. I write poems, columns, and stories. I like to read at night in this season. :) Winter has always been my favourite seasons as it really unshackles my creative faculties. :)
  • sammanisammani Posts: 238 ✭✭
    sometimes I feel I`m very unlucky girl.I really love to be out in cold with snow.but my country (sri lanka) it doesn`t snow.and also I haven`t been to a country which it snows.so I would like to touch the snow too much.I like to play with snow. but when I feel cold ,I like to have a cup of tea cos there is no snow in my country.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I don't miss this horrible, cold wet stuff @sammani. It looks pretty from the distance but it's pretty unpleasant too, if you have to walk or drive through the stuff.
    Snow is beautiful @sammani but the novelty wears off after a while, and it is not as fun anymore! But you should certainly try to visit a country with lots of snow just to try it out!
    @GemmaRowlands ,I wish to visit a country which it snows.
    @sammani same here. I would love to play with snow. :)
    @Bubbly,Let`s play however.one day we can do it.I know it.
    @sammani Hope is the other name of life. :)
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,213 mod
    You sound just like me @GemmaRowlands . I love to play in the snow and wish we could have more of it! It's been a snowless winter for the most part.
    We have had very little snow this winter @amatsuscribbler and certainly none that we could play in. It is a shame, and I guess that now I will have to wait until next year!
    I still couldn't make a plan to go to hilly areas that are covered will snow. I hope that my cousins will make a plan and motivate me as well to go with them. :) How lazy!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    There's been a cold spell in Kathmandu over the past few days. I was glad of the thick quilt on my bed last night.
    There is nothing better in a cold winter than getting under a thick quilt at night @mheredge though I do find it very difficult to get out again in the morning if it is still just as cold!
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,641 mod
    Unfortunately, there's no winter here in the Philippines. :(
    I think I would cope very well in a country with no winter, as it is my least favourite season of them all!
  • KwanzaBotKwanzaBot Posts: 6
    In Russian the winter is not cold relatively, but I prefer to lay in my bed and dream of summer.
    @KwanzaBot wrote: »
    In Russian the winter is not cold relatively, but I prefer to lay in my bed and dream of summer.

I dream for a winter season. :)
    I think I would cope very well in a country with no winter, as it is my least favourite season of them all!

Even in 41deg C? :sweat_smile:
  • momochanmomochan Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I liked to go skiing in my free time during my childhood. I still like to go skiing in the winter, but It is not easy to find my free time after I have got a job and a family.
    @momochan wrote: »
    I liked to go skiing in my free time during my childhood. I still like to go skiing in the winter, but It is not easy to find my free time after I have got a job and a family.

Samui Momo! :)
    What is your job my friend?
  • momochanmomochan Posts: 66 ✭✭
    HI @kindgnice, I am a sales representative. Sales is a interesting job but sales has to take care once a trouble happens on their customers. A lot of troubles usually happen at the same time. I don't know why.
    @momochan wrote: »
    HI @kindgnice, I am a sales representative. Sales is a interesting job but sales has to take care once a trouble happens on their customers. A lot of troubles usually happen at the same time. I don't know why.

I agree my friend. Because I was once a PR personnel before which was somewhat related to sales, and the pressure of beating the quota every fiscal year is a bit stressful yet rewarding and challenging as well. :)
    I miss winter these days as it is difficult to resist this hot weather especially when I go out.
    @kindgnice well okay, possibly not that hot! But I don't like it when it is cold enough to snow.
    @kindgnice well okay, possibly not that hot! But I don't like it when it is cold enough to snow.

I'm envy in your weather there. Hope to go there someday. ;)
This discussion has been closed.