Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The Ass

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,462 mod
If you like a play on words and want an interesting insider view of Nepal, the Nepali Times' editorial that appears on the back page penned by The Ass is hilarious.

As ever, this week's edition surpasses itself (in the light of the fuel situation, bullock-cart taxis could well be the answer.)

http://nepalitimes.com/regular-columns/backside/Indian-versus-cowboys,605#.Vk9CC1qwf3x

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,462 mod
    This is a great play on words describing the current blockade in Nepal. Again, The Ass excels himself.

http://nepalitimes.com/regular-columns/backside/half-assed-blockade,596
  • RafiaremaRafiarema Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    @_@ Wew I'm speechless.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the Minister of Maoism and Tourism.
    It's an excellent idea banning smoking along the trekking trials, as a contribution to curbing the greenhouse gas emissions.
    That's the reason why I would help him, the moment he went ' Anyone have a light ? '
    ' Sure, here I am ', I would reply while handing him the lighted dried dung, which turned out as being an excellent byproduct of bullock-cart taxis, as well.
    ' You wouldn't mind restoring Kathmandu's bucolic charm, will you ? ', I would grin towards him.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    edited November 2015
    Banning smoking is a good idea regardless of greenhouse gases in dry places @filauzio. Don't they do this in national parks in Europe during the summer? But I do think that the bullock-cart idea is excellent. I've seen these in India. And bullock milk is divine. As well as generating fuel, just think of the delicious mozzarella cheese they could make. Every cloud has a silver lining.
    It could also be a good idea, @mheredge, banning smoking along the trekking trials; and also convert vehicles into bullock-cart taxis could be as well.
    However don't you think it is a drop in the bucket ?
    I mean that politicians should have, as a aim, that of increase more and more the progress and technology.
    Maybe, in my comment, I've seemed to be disrespectful, maybe I've been; but I just wanted to focus on the fact that sometimes politicians don't seem to be up to their office.
    I have no doubt about the fact that bullock milk is divine, and mozzarella cheese even more, and if I ever visited Nepal, I couldn't but taste them both.
    I have no doubt about how to light Italian Ministers' cigarettes, either. Let me say there's hardly a silver lining in the cloud of their policy.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    The Ass is defending his stance of being half-asset. After all, everyone is short changing everyone else. And the blackmarket rules.

http://nepalitimes.com/regular-columns/backside/half-ass-column-on-blockade,617
    edited December 2015
    I'm going to have to catch The Ass online for the next few weeks.
    The Ass makes new year's resolutions, include a promise to keep being an ass every week!

http://nepalitimes.com/regular-columns/backside/happy-new-earful,639
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge @filauzio what does this expression mean?

Survival instincts take over and the squeezee comes up with ingenious ways to get back at the squeezer in order to survive.
    edited July 2016
    Putting the 'ee' at the end of the word suggests the victim or person receiving whatever the other person is doing. In this case the person being squeezed, as opposed to the person squeezing @Bubbly.

Like trainer and trainee
    But you should read the article thoroughly, @Bubbly, in order to get the context, therefore the sense; I admit that should do the same too.
    I think this phrase can also be used when you feel depressed and helpless; survival instinct is your ultimate hold to keep grasp on, to get back to float level with the worth, which you're aware of be.
    Survival instinct could be the reason, together with a logic will not to work for the advantage of the oppressors, which lead forced labourers, in whatever oppressive context, to practise that group of activities which can turn out really ingenious, in a way, to the limits of what's conceivable.
    To me sabotage must have been an artistic work sometimes in some context; the subtle fine ability of having your work companion, by degrees, slowing on to the point of reaching and keep your negligent rhythm; the skill of loosen all the nails of a wheelbarrow in their track, so that it could turn over and shed its load, when being pushed up the slope, without even the possibility of get back the nails, which, sprang scattered out and sank into the muddy ground, out of sight, definitely lost.
    I'm missing the people who are able to gather together and do sabotage for a principle, an idea, a protest, against their oppressive ' entities '.
    I think sabotage is the wonderfully clever higher form of non-violent protest to get changes.
    I'd like a threat wich such a topic: ' Sabotage's techniques to improve your brain's skills '.
    @mheredge @filauzio Thank you for making it more clear for me.

Filauzio- Sabotage is also the highest form of brutality in silence. You never know who is making your life hell without even making you conscious about it.
    During the Second World War saboteurs used to blow up bridges and find ways to damage the enemies' production of armaments.
    But if someone is making your life hell by sabotage, @Bubbly, it means perhaps you're being oppressor to them ( LOL ) or more probably they are simply trying to get you conscious of some needs of change on their part.

When coming to a relationship between male and female, I suppose sabotage, when used as a casual weapon by the trigger-happy male, is the best one-way ticket to have the house door being slammed in their face with the command not to come back. rain or shine.

When I was a child, my best way to sabotage the surrounding things I couldn't put up with, was to get into muteness; however, since no one minded me, apparently, I was just doing wrong to myself.

Today's striking news are getting me really sad and angry; so that I was wondering what would be the best way to sabotage the plan to terrorize us all; I came up with the most effective of the answer, which is to keep on with my routine, which, among other, involves carrying on and follow-through the reading of The Ass' articles, which, sometimes, seem to be sabotaging my understanding skill.

Therefore, in a way, The Ass is a saboteur: he's putting down a blockade on my connection ways between neurons, but I'm struggling to force a way through, so that @mheredge couldn't say I'm a lazy guy.
    edited July 2016
    Haha @filauzio, I'm sure that The Ass would be very happy to hear about your tenacity. In the face of his continued tricks aimed at sabotaging your English, you are doing a sterling job resisting his brave attempts.

If I bump into Kunda Dixit, editor of the Nepali Times (who I suspect of maybe helping The Ass behind the scenes), I will surely tell him that you refuse to be defeated.
    Yes, I refuse to be, and to show you how bold I'm growing, ahah, I'll go paraphrasing one passage of The Ass' article, you posted in December 2015, @mheredge; I admit I'm still reading it, sigh.

http://nepalitimes.com/regular-columns/backside/half-ass-column-on-blockade,617

This is the original passage:

' ... Now that Bihar is going dry, it makes sense for Nepal to keep the border closed so that smuggling can be reversed and we make up for paying through our noses for Rs 350/l of diluted petrol by spiriting across Khukuri Rum and selling it at double markup to thirsty Biharis... '

This is to be sent to Kunda Dixit editor, c/o Mr. The Ass:

' Now that The Ass is getting very worn out and frustrated, after his numberless vain attempts to hit his bull's eye, which is Filauzio's tenacity to get at least a draw in the struggle to understand the meaning of his writing, it makes sense for Filauzio to let the blockade in place, so that smuggling can be reversed, and he can make up for paying such stretched attention, ( which, by the way, isn't window dressing put up to brag his skills, but real brain's material involved on his part ), for just a sabotaging streak carried out by The Ass, by modestly performing, out of genius, this little writing, for The Ass to feel envy of my English.
    Since it's made up of more than twice the words of The Ass's, it's just to underline and remark, once and for all, that an Ass as him, absolutely can't catch up with such a donkey as Filauzio '.

Have a look at The Ass' articles, @gam01hr, they are interesting. ;)
    I missed this point @filauzio. Many states in India are 'dry' which means alcohol is not available in the shops. A common scam is to sell diluted petrol and since all petrol has to come from India, Nepal is at the mercy of these hoods. So maybe now Nepal can get its revenge and smuggle in Khukuri rum, one of Nepal's few fine exports. Best of all, the can charge double the price to the people in Bar, who will no doubt be happy to pay anything to obtain this good quality alcohol.
    Don't worry @mheredge, mine wasn't a point at all; you know I always try to put down a comment which sometimes must have a sense because I'm trying to express my thoughts and I want to share them with you.
    Sometimes, however, my comment can hardly have a sense in Italian, let alone if I try to render them in English; I simply try to write something amusing by using words that I've just learned and trying not to make grammar's mistakes.

In this case I thought that The Ass was referring to ' dry soil ', due to too many sunny days without even just one drop of rain falling down; here the paradox I supposed to have caught: to give rum to a thirsty soil, which could be an effective revenge by those people who have been provided with diluted petrol and charged for it as it hadn't been.

Thank you for the patience you always show towards me.
    @filauzio I am still not sure who is sabotaging the peace in Turkey these days. I think the conspiracy is still there to destabilise the government. There are many reasons behind but the obvious one is well camouflaged in the name of coup. I think there are certain sounds of boots that Turkish nation are still listening to whilst going to the bed.

The nightmare is not over for them yet!
    @Bubbly you're right; as long as I can understand of the whole matter, and I'm aware that what I'm about to say is hazardous other than it can sound regardless of the many people who got killed during the terrible hours during which the turmoil took place, but even so, I have to say what follows.
    It seemed to me that rather than a coup d'etat it was more of a coup de theatre; it lasted just one night and the following morning the conspirators had already fled the country.
    In the same time, Erdogan, safe and sound, and probably perfectly shaved, was already coming up with the most cruel vengeance to take upon the rebels; it really seems strange to me.
    It's not a mistery to anyone, I suppose, that Erdogan is an authoritarian leader who absolutely can't put up with any form of internal opposition, if just that of a light breeze blowing against his face; so, now that part of the army openly dared to throw him down of leadership, he stood an unhoped-for chance to get rid of all people who, in one way or another, happened to get in his way and restrain him from getting his unique, inexorable, inner push: that of become the mighty king of, at least, the whole Turkey.
    Now he's purging supposed disloyal citizens and military's officers off their positions, but I suppose the worst is still to come.
    Hopefully the death sentence won't be put as as an option in the judiciary system, as the rumours keep telling these days.
    However, in order to have its application to join the EU keeping its course, this option should be firmly refused.
    @filauzio we cannot deny the conspiracy theory behind this so called coup drama. You know that in Middle East, on Turkey is a stable country by all means. International forces will never want peace in Middle East because of their predetermined motives. They tried to do it by creating a scene that unfortunately failed. You know there many planes and ships of Turkey that are still missing. Erdogan has to bear all the internal as well external pressure as for him this is really a temporary relief that will end soon. I don't think that the formula of public involvement in the country will work again.

What do you think? @Ezîza @Just-Learn @Khalied
    I'm not so deep into the matter, I just base my guess on few news reports, @Bubbly, then, I depend on you, since I'm sure you have great knowledge of the matter; after all, as they say: ' knowledge is power '.
    These last hours, nevertheless, this saying must have been rooting, more and more, into Erdogan's mind, when considering that thousands of private schools teachers are being dismissed from their charge, without apparent reason.
    To many stranger observers, I think reasonably, it could seem as if he is exploiting the failed coup, as an opportunity to get rid of unwanted persons, especially those working in positions of relatively high responsability, and replace them with more reliable ones from within lealist intellectuals.
    You could reasonably reply that any president whose free country has just been in danger of a coup would have any right to behave like that, in order to restore democracy, as soon as possible, and sweep Turkey of any remained crumbs of conspiracy; you would be right.
    However, Erdogan is tightening his grasp upon the country; I just hope he's managing to stifle conspiracy alone, without even democratic opposition along with.

BTW What do you mean by saying:

' ... I don't think that the formula of public involvement in the country will work again.'
    @filauzio do you think that it will work for him. He is not competent enough to grasp all aspects of political management. He may act like a puppet now as he has limited choices and more pressures. The Turkish nation who came on the roads will expect something from him bigger and now it is a real test of Erdogan either he will through or he will find out some alley who can help him to move out of this situation in an amicable way.
    edited July 2016
    I think, @Bubbly, that Turkish people have to be granted that free either newspapers, or television and radio channels or mass media networks, keep publishing and broadcasting. I hope that any temptation of settling a censorship, might be prevented by a firm resolute consciousness that lead all the most intellectual faculties provided part of population to oppose it. Still today another striking news arose, about the Erdogan's will not to implement the Human Right European Convention among the country's system of laws; which fact, still that I can't wholly comprehend its reach, sounds bad to me as regard to the possibility of maintaining the fundamental rights which make lives worthy being lived.
    It's not strange then to me, to see that masses of people are assembling and rallying towards the already sadly known square in Istambul.
    I believe you're right that Erdogan is maybe acting like a puppet, but, what/whoever is handling his wires these hours, is giving him always the same gesture, almost a tic: that of an iron fist stamping down on his democracy.
    I've missed most of what has been happening in the past week since the Nice attacks, so I need to catch up on what's happening in Turkey @Bubbly and @filauzio. I have just spent the last few days in the Amazon jungle where there was no internet. I was saddened to see one girl very desperate to get connected the minute she could when we were travelling back to Quito and stopped at a little restaurant along the way. Needless to say, the connection was unbelievably slow. She spent so much time trying to read her emails that she didn't have time to eat her meal.
    @filauzio there are certain surprises for Turkish nation in the upcoming days as Turkey is on the hit list of some super powers. I can feel that Erdogan is trying to turn every stone in order to stay in the rule and bring some stability. He will bring more strategies in the upcoming days, sort of formula of democracy but I don't think he has some big options now. He played it cleverly by giving a call but now he has to fulfil the expectations of his people that is not a joke.
    What do you mean by 'Turkey is on the hit list of some super powers' @Bubbly?
    I think, @mheredge, that, strange to say, you've been living in the most safe place these days, as long as you're really referring to the Amazon jungle and not to the Amazon store.
    This dreadful week we had such a streak of bad events: Nice attacks, Turkey failed coup and, these hours still in its course, attack in Munich, which is not still clear if being operated by terrorists or rather by a crazy alone wolf without whatever ideology backing him; latest news reported that before starting shooting he cried something like: ' I'm a german one '.
    As regard to Turkey, me and @Bubbly have been discussing about the coup that took place last friday evening and lasted just the night; the following morning it was clear that it had failed and Erdogan had grasped back his leadership.

BTW what do you think about the attacks in Nice ? I was a bit worried because of it's your town.

Maybe you're right @Bubbly, by saying that Erdogan hasn't got some big options these day: after all it's still much likely there might be any other attacks on the part of the rebels; then he's trying to settle some sort of formula of democracy; he's groping in the dark, since the shadows of instability are still pacing the country, wearing martial boots.
    @mheredge in terms of proxy war, situation is totally different in Turkey.

@filauzio It is east vs. west these days. One blast in Europe and one blast in middle east immediately after that. Who is playing the strings of these puppets? It is somehow an endless war now just for some political gains. I don't see any stability in future in the middle east that may end up in a turmoil.
    I don't know when one person attacks others like in Nice and Munich how sure anyone can be that it isn't just a lone crazy and not part of something bigger. In the US there have been so many examples of these kind of random attacks. Of course terrorist groups are more than happy to take the credit as this furthers their wish to spread fear. I'm sure armed retaliation is not an answer. It just worsens the situation.

I did get bitten by an insect @filauzio but this was the most dangerous thing to happen to me in the last few days.