Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

do you prefer the life in city or rural ? why ?

KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
ny society you see almost people live in rural or city . some people prefer the live in city because find factories and organization and care all the time .other side the live in rural clean air and pretty natural and cute people and so friendly .
nowadays i see immigration city to rural and the rural become big

Comments

• mrabrar09mrabrar09 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    nowadays rural areas having more chances to get jobs ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,927 mod
    Generally it's the other way round isn't it @gomaa? There is little work in the countryside so everyone tends to move to the cities. This is a trend not just in poor countries but in developed countries like the UK. What is happening in some places is that people are forced to live further from their workplace and sometimes commute long distances. But I'm not aware of any major shifts in population into the countryside. Where are you seeing this @gomaa and @mrabrar09?
  • mrabrar09mrabrar09 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I want to say that the competition is more at urban side and having more manpower resources. so not everyone is moving to countryside but slowly people are moving . u can see this effect after few decades
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge I see alot of work in rural in depend on the agricultural and simple work .some changes beween other countries
    But do people want to work in farming these days @gomaa? I find that as people get more educated, they are less likely to want to stay in the countryside and they usually want to get better paid jobs in the cities.
  • nour360nour360 Posts: 62 ✭✭
    @gomaa Out of the work stress, rural side is more comfortable for people, fresh air, green nature, no noises and takes you away from bad people behaviors and people problems, and the more you get closer to the nature the happier you are.
    @mheredge Nowadays people are believing that they all will get jobs in the city, which wont happen, and i haven't knew about the problem of the unemployment before the people learned migrating from rural to city, where we see crowds complaining about the expensive life requirements like the vegetables, which people used to plant it in their gardens.
    its a good thing to think how to make our life better, and live in circumstances we think its good for us, and avoid some of our life problems, but sometimes we find our selves in front of two choices thats hard to choose from them, its hard to tell which is better.
    for me rural side is the best for relaxing, but city is good for shopping and some social activities, and dividing your time between the two sides will be better then spending all your life in one side.
    In poorer countries, the majority of people are typically living in the countryside as poor farmers. They usually believe that they have a better chance in the cities. But like you say @nour360, mostly they only find unemployment. In Nepal huge numbers are leaving for the Middle East to work on construction sites.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a choice, I would love to spend my life in my village. But, I intend to start some welfare work in rural area so I will get some chances to go there.
    I life in rural area so pretty and simple same time .The Rural meaning magic natural
    I love visiting rural areas, but I'm not sure if I would like to live in a place that is too far from the town @gomaa. I prefer small towns to big cities now that I have got used to not having all the art and culture that living in the centre of London offered me.
    I have visitor come from Germany to stay two week in my rural she's so surprised about rural in Egypt . She said everything so pretty in Egypt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    I have got one house in rural as one in city. I would like living in rural because life is better than city but for work reason is too far. So we live in Florence and when we have time we go there.
    @biso me too I live in rural but I'm spend all my time in city reason for work.The rural very pretty and clean air . the rural different between other countries . for example we find some different between the rural in Egypt or France and the city rich organization and industry
  • OmerHOmerH Posts: 129 ✭✭
    I prefer city life for living because of all the facilities but I would love to have a house in rural area too where I could go whenever I need a break from routine of city life.
    @gomaa There are different kind of rural, even if wherever you live is always better out the city than in city. Where I am the city is not big but there is a lot of traffic and eight month out of twelve there are too many tourists. In fact many Florentines are going to live in rural.
    @OmerH I see the people in rural so kind and simple and good relation between the people.
  • grizlgrizl Posts: 26 ✭✭
    i guess rural is relaxed and calm. you can do planting, you can see green field that relaxed your eyes. you can breathe clean and cold air. mmmm... what a relaxing..

i have plan when i have a lot of money i will live in rural at my old age and build a house i dreamed.
    Nowadays I see immigration from city to rural because city over crowded people.@grizl I think you live in city isn't it? Because you speak about pretty natural in rural.the rural around the world become big not small and rich natural and resources to live easily without problems.
    @gomaa yes, you are right i live in city. i want to spend my day in rural. as you know the air in city is polluted. and i love nature
    edited January 2016
    @grizl I know the air in city not clean reason for industry and cars .I live in rural but my work in city.
    @gomaa really??
    where do you come from?? and where rural do you live in?
    I'm from Egypt and I live in almansourah city in delta Egypt .We called this city doll river.
  • hngan244hngan244 Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I live in the city but i have many friends coming from the countryside. To me, living in the city or the countryside has its own advantages and disadvantages. I feel comfortable with the modern city because there are lots of places for entertainments like game centers, shopping malls, theatres,... where my friends and I often go to in free time. I love the crowded and busy streets there (that sounds a little bit crazy but I extremely miss them when I'm far away from home).I'm also very fond of the colorful lights turning on from high buildings in the streets at night. On the other hand, my friends coming from the countryside are enormously proud of their hometown. They love how peaceful and quite the view is. They told me some games played during their childhood, which makes me really jealous of them because the children of big cities including me didn't have chance to play.
    @biso my grandparents in France were lucky enough to have a home in Paris, but also a small cottage and some land in the countryside where they were able to get back to their roots and farm, growing enough fruit and vegetables to take care of a fair proportion of their needs. My sister has to make do with an allotment in the city, but all the same, is happy growing a lot of her own vegetables.
    @mheredge they were very smart to get back to their roots. Growing fruit and vegetable with their hands is a good and healty choose. Even I when take these from my village in countryside I find a lot of difference than ones that I buy in the shop.
    Even my sister who lives in London, she's very lucky to have her allotment ten minutes from her house where she can grow fruit and vegetables @biso. As well as providing a great way to relax at the weekends and even after work (she's a teacher, so doesn't usually work till very late), like you say, the produce you've grown yourself always tastes much better.
  • andersonmandersonm Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I live in the city, but I like to visite rural sometimes to clean and rest my mind. because I live in strong noise all day, cars, bus, traffic, helicopter, aircraft, factory, etc. sometimes I think that I am going to freak out.
    @andersonm yes so pretty clean air and good natural and calm you can sleep under the tree without any problem
    I can't wait to get away from the city. The pollution is horrible. It's the dry season and so air pollution is even worse than normal.
    @mheredge yes the city over crawded people and full of factors and vehicles make pollution and the air so quite and pretty and good relationship between almost people.