Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Big brother is watching you

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 28,555 mod
Apparently Britain has the most surveillance in the world after China. There is reckoned to be one surveillance camera to every eleven head of population. But it seems that the idea of Internet surveillance and cameras spying on everything we do doesn't faze the Brits at all. If anything, they are just not bothered about it.

What do you think? Do you see surveillance as an intrusion on your privacy? Or do you welcome it as a way the authorities can protect you? Even if you have nothing to hide, do you agree with the Germans who are shown to be less willing to share their privacy?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/06/spooks-spying-brits-dont-care-james-bond-enigma-surveillance#img-1

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,656 mod
    We are Big Brother @mheredge. Nearly everyone has a camera / video in their smartphone nowadays...
  • yijunliuyijunliu Posts: 14 ✭✭
    hi, I think it might be a trend in near years. In some point of view, it could push people to behave "correctly" in any kind of situation :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds funny but whenever I see a surveillance camera, I start waving at it with a smile. :) :)
    You would get a repetitive strain injury in the UK Bubbly.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,555 mod
    Haha @Lynne. I tend to pull a silly face when I see a camera. I find it sinister that practically the only ones in Kathmandu are in the main Tibetan area of the city and we're installed there at the insistence of the Chinese.
    @Lynne Oh! a smile doesn't work in UK. ;)
    @mheredge I did this once. But, then my sister forbade me to do this as the surveillance team might get offended. :)
  • eng.samuellpeng.samuellp Posts: 51 ✭✭
    I think that surveillance cameras are needed nowadays, but authorities must have control over them to avoid invade our privacy.
    @eng.samuellp surveillance cameras usually intrude our privacy without brining it to our knowledge. :)
    edited November 2015
    Exactly, they are, by their very nature, an invasion of privacy. The biggest problem is, they might be put up for all the right reasons, but it only takes the wrong people to come into power and we are all in big trouble. Imagine what the Nazis would have done with this technology.
    The problem is misuse of information. I'm not against the idea as long as it's handled very carefully.
    @mheredge do you think they will let us know about their handling of the information?
    I think the Data Protection Act in the UK is supposed @Bubbly (though you probably have to apply as they wouldn't tell you otherwise). But I'm still not particularly convinced it works always in practice.
    I usually feel insecure when security cameras are around because sometimes these cameras make me to move consciously. But, I never forget to wave with a smile. :)
This discussion has been closed.