Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is the importance of plants in our lives?

KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Plants very important in our lives is to provide us with oxygen which is an essential element for human survival alive, in addition to plants take carbon dioxide, which is causing suffocation to humans and the so-called ecological balance of plant and man both are complementary. Plant important for human survival.

Comments

• silviosilvio Posts: 21
    Of course!
    They have been and are essential for human economy and wealth as well! They have supplied wood to build and warm up our houses. Many active ingredients of medical science descend from Plants. 70.000 species of Plants are used in Medicine, but only one percent of Rainforest Plants have surveyed in order to employ them in Medicine. Plants are the principal food for us and for many other species of animals. Also the forests are essential to mitigate the effects of Climate Change.
    We must safeguard Plants Biodiversity!
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes @silvio no life without plants because the plants mean soul for earth and so useful for animals and humans .the world needs us to care plants to protect our earth .
  • Learningdiva2Learningdiva2 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Plants are so important in our life. We all familiar with the phenomena of Photosynthesis. They make food for us. We can't live without food so its obvious we depend on Plants.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is true.

@Bubbly without plants and trees will feel big problem and I noticed a lot of people around the world cutting the trees for example America. We should keep our earth by growing plants.
    @Learningdiva2 yes right and we can decrease pollution in our environment around us
  • Learningdiva2Learningdiva2 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    @gomaa u r absolutely right..
    @Learningdiva2 the big problem the water decrease and I expect war soon reason for water .in those years we saw war reason for oil.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,508 mod
    CO2 is plant food - Skeptical Science

https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-plant-food.htm
    @kindgnice thank you useful link
    @gomaa said:

@kindgnice thank you useful link

You're welcome. Please share your experiences as well in harvesting. :)
    @kindgnice all experiences about grow plants and care plants but harvest simple anyone can do that easily but care plants not easy work
    gomaa said:

@kindgnice all experiences about grow plants and care plants but harvest simple anyone can do that easily but care plants not easy work

Agreed. Do you feed them with fertilizers?
  • LaszloMarkLaszloMark Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Yes, plants are important... so as bees. Bees pollinated 75-80% of the plants. So, without bees, lot's of plants would disappear from our planet. (google this: supermarket without bees).
    There would be way less food in the supermarket, if bees disappear.
    That's why i love nature, everything connecting with each other.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,843 mod
    Flowers are pretty and apparently as an important export from Colombia where they are farmed.
  • DaliyaDaliya Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Yes, plants are backbone of all life. Just think about our everyday life. Everything we eat come from plants , directly or indirectly.
    They synthesise their own food and stores rest of the energy as starch i.e photosynthesis. Also helps to maintain the oxygen and water level through photosynthesis and transpiration respectively. Also helps to maintain the carbon dioxide level in the air.
    Of course it is a habitat of many other lives.
    Think about petroleum, cooking gas, paper towel medicines etc all are plant origin.
    Even a nice flower can make our day more beautiful.
    plants so useful and I hear in the new Holland growing trees on the water so pretty
    Plants provide habitats for animals
    are the primary habitat for thousands of other organisms. Animals live in, on, or under plants. Plants provide shelter and safety for animals. Plants also provide a place for animals to find other food. As a habitat, plants alter the climate. On a small scale, plants provide shade, help moderate the temperature, and protect animals from the wind. On a larger scale, such as in tropical rain forests, plants actually change the rainfall patterns over large areas of the earth's surface.

Plants help make and preserve soil
    In the forest and the prairie, the roots of plants help hold the soil together. This reduces erosion and helps conserve the soil. Plants also help make soil. Soil is made up of lots of particles of rocks which are broken down into very small pieces. When plants die, their decomposed remains are added to the soil. This helps to make the soil rich with nutrients.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,113 mod
    @LaszloMark I am currently a tiny part of a campaign to 'Save our bees'. Pesticides put onto plants are killing the bees and without them the human race would soon decline!
  • mdshamsadmdshamsad Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Plant is essential part of our life...Without plant and trees life is not possible so we should think about this.......But also we can't compromise with modernization so both should be balanced...That time only we can enjoy our life in stead of only survive....
  • bhanuprat92bhanuprat92 Posts: 4
    plants are much important in our life as they provide us shed from hot weather and fresh air too.....
    They also bind the soil and thus eradicate soil erosion
    What will happen if all the trees and plants on earth are cut down?
    @Bubbly @april @bhanuprat92 @mdshamsad @LaszloMark @Learningdiva2 @Shiny03 @Dora

If all green plants were removed from Earth, it would return to approximately the same condition it was in for the great majority of its existence. Green plants are a relative newcomer. Land plants with vascular tissue (the common ancestor of clubmosses, ferns, horsetails, conifers, and flowering plants) arose less than 450 million years ago, and non-vascular plants (like liverworts and mosses) arose less than 500 million years ago. During the preceding 4 billion years - 90% of Earth's existence - there were no plants. Other photosynthesizing organisms like cyanobacteria arose about 2.5 billion years and algae about 1.7 billion years ago. They were, and still are, the major oxygen-producers.

Without the stabilizing influence of land plants and their roots, the terrestrial landscape would experience accelerated erosion by rain and wind, producing a world of gullies and dust storms. Microbial crusts composed of cyanobacteria, algae, and lichens would be the only soil stabilizers (though far less efficient than plants). While most mammals, birds, and insects would be gone, many species would continue in the oceans and other aquatic habitats where phytoplankton (mostly algae) are the primary producers.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got to memorize these words first: vascular tissue, photosynthetic organisms, cyanobacteria, and phytoplankton.

Most plants, most algae, and cyanobacteria perform photosynthesis; such organisms are called photoautotrophs. Photosynthesis maintains atmospheric oxygen levels and supplies all of the organic compounds and most of the energy necessary for life on Earth.

Notice how cyanobacteria are the key bacteria in nature.

• sanjaysanjay Posts: 32 ✭✭
    > @Khalied said:
    > Plants very important in our lives is to provide us with oxygen which is an essential element for human survival alive, in addition to plants take carbon dioxide, which is causing suffocation to humans and the so-called ecological balance of plant and man both are complementary. Plant important for human survival.

Without plants we cant survive
    @Shiny03 what will happen if you put plants in close room and one person in this room?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides many reasons, I love greenery because it makes me relax. :)
    @Bubbly I agree with you green area make anyone feel rest and relax sometimes I prefer to stay in farm and sleep and back at the night
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khalied said:

@Shiny03 what will happen if you put plants in close room and one person in this room?

fresh air?
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 122 ✭✭
    I just wanna to add bit about the impotances of plant. It is not only to produce fresh air (in this matter related to photosynthesis process) or to preserve soil as well. As we know, with their roots they can hold water when raining comes in order to avoid surface runoff by infiltration process and and then followed by percolation. The final result from all this processes above is availability of groundwater. Groundwater will flow to river or lake and so on which is the water itself can be used to meet our needs for drinking and other things.
    We can’t deny that water is vital for life too besides oxygen. So, the position of plant is essential to keep all organism alive in the earth.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    six molecules of water, added to six molecules of carbon dioxide, are made react together, within the plant's cells, to produce one molecule of glucose, plus six molecules of oxygen !!

WOW, the first time I came across this apparently simple reaction I thought it was an utopian way to overcome air pollution, way behind the more optimistic forecasts of having it handy and ready by now.
    Then, when I learnt that the plants had been carrying out it since the very beginning of the life on earth, I understood that the plants weren't only just that much useful living beings, besides indispensable to our lives.
    They also had so great intelligence to foresee to what extent the stupid mankind would have been providing their Eden with stench and air pollution.
    They played it safe by starting largely in advance their purification.
    Plants I love you, you ingenious beings !