Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you use your mobile phone for?

Comments

• bhanuprat92bhanuprat92 Posts: 4
    I use my mobile in many ways such as--texting,reading messages such as emails,news,etc and lot of much work
    It also has reduced a lot work that earlier needed a laptop or a computer
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,718 mod

I use my mobile in many ways such as--texting,reading messages such as emails,news,etc and lot of much work

It also has reduced a lot work that earlier needed a laptop or a computer

This is absolutely true. I now find that I don't have to spend any time on my laptop at the weekends at all.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought what different things I can do with a state-of-the-art smartphone when 2 years ago, I bought LG G3 , but actually, after having it for a few months, I discovered no matter how cutting-edge your phone is, you use it as much as you need.For instance, I had a friend who although his smartphone was dramatically older than mine and compared to mine, it was nothing; it was a disaster, he was using his gadget all day long.

I thought what different things I can do with a state-of-the-art smartphone when 2 years ago, I bought LG G3 , but actually, after having it for a few months, I discovered no matter how cutting-edge your phone is, you use it as much as you need.For instance, I had a friend who although his smartphone was dramatically older than mine and compared to mine, it was nothing; it was a disaster, he was using his gadget all day long.

There are lots of things that I can do with my phone that I choose not to, so I think I could probably spend all day on it if I wanted to, but I hope that I will never need to do that.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I use my phone to browse the internet, listen to music as I run. And also to play game, just simple ones I used to enjoy when I was a child, I can play them with a emulator. Of course I use it for calling, text msm and whatsapp.
    IvanGanga said:

I use my phone to browse the internet, listen to music as I run. And also to play game, just simple ones I used to enjoy when I was a child, I can play them with a emulator. Of course I use it for calling, text msm and whatsapp.

I think it is great to listen to music as you run, as it can make you much more motivated, and you will be able to run quicker.
  • TyellTyell Posts: 2
    Most of all, phone calls of course :P
    Other than that I use it for games, internet, reading books and comics, listen music, as an alarm clock in the morning, for chat and lastly also for listening to podcasts while in the bed
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭
    I use my phone for reading e-mails and make a calls. I hate to write a text messages in phone becuase a keyboard is too small for me.
    mheredge said:
    I really don't want them to do that. It's just another way for Apple to make sure that you have to buy their products, and it really isn't fair.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,085 mod
    I have had to dig out of mothballs my Samsung mobile phone as having a mobile number is almost essential to get things done in France. I have a landline phone and have given no one the number but it still rings from time to time.
    mheredge said:

I have had to dig out of mothballs my Samsung mobile phone as having a mobile number is almost essential to get things done in France. I have a landline phone and have given no one the number but it still rings from time to time.

It is good to have a simple phone that you can just use to call. I had one similar when I was at college.
  • rtamar65rtamar65 Posts: 4
    For me, it is everything. I can't live without it for a moment.
    I spent the whole day without my mobile phone today @rtamar65 as I went out for the day and didn't want to be disturbed. Could you manage a day without your phone?
    mheredge said:

I spent the whole day without my mobile phone today @rtamar65 as I went out for the day and didn't want to be disturbed. Could you manage a day without your phone?

I don't think I could. Not that I use it, but I think I feel safer knowing that I could get in touch with people if I needed to, and I wouldn't like to be without that.
    The world won't stop if I don't have my mobile phone with me all the time. If anything, I find it is liberating to not be connected every minute of the day.
    mheredge said:

The world won't stop if I don't have my mobile phone with me all the time. If anything, I find it is liberating to not be connected every minute of the day.

Yes, that is true. I feel like there is a huge pressure to be in constant contact with people all the time, and that's not great at all. But I would struggle with my job without being connected, unfortunately.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried Google map once but it couldn't get it completely. It made me more confused.
    mheredge said:

The problem with Google maps @Bubbly, is that ideally, you need to have an internet signal or at least download in advance the area where you will be travelling. I found that it was pretty useless telling me where I was last night when I was travelling across the country on a bus.

Bubbly said:

I tried Google map once but it couldn't get it completely. It made me more confused.

mheredge said:

The problem with Google maps @Bubbly, is that ideally, you need to have an internet signal or at least download in advance the area where you will be travelling. I found that it was pretty useless telling me where I was last night when I was travelling across the country on a bus.

Yes I can imagine that it was a bit confusing. Sometimes I get more confused trying to use the map than I was when I didn't realise where I was!
  • Rere2016Rere2016 Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Phone and exactly cell phone its must important device in these years ,I use it in everything.
    Rere2016 said:

Phone and exactly cell phone its must important device in these years ,I use it in everything.

It is shocking just how much people use their phones for now. A lot of people are never without them for even a few minutes at a time. I know that it is very rare that I am out of the room without my phone.
    I was out all day yesterday and forgot my phone and tablet.It was strangely liberating and I think I will have to do it more often.
    mheredge said:

I was out all day yesterday and forgot my phone and tablet.It was strangely liberating and I think I will have to do it more often.

It can sometimes be nice to just be off the radar so to speak, but I use my phone that much for work that I doubt that will ever be possible.
  • devndevn Posts: 2
    yes it is right
    These days, just for alarm! ;)
    Bubbly said:

These days, just for alarm! ;)

Really? Is that all you use it for? Why don't you use it to contact people?
    @GemmaRowlands For family and friends, I am using landline number these days. Then, I have an official number as well so I contact to our clients through that.
    Bubbly said:

@GemmaRowlands For family and friends, I am using landline number these days. Then, I have an official number as well so I contact to our clients through that.

Oh right, that makes sense. It's funny though, because I never use my landline these days, in fact I am thinking about stopping paying for it altogether!
    @GemmaRowlands due to signal issues in some areas, landline number is considered as the best mean to contact with family members, clients and regional offices in other cities. I also use my mobile for using whatsapp as well but not regularly.
  • thetwinhtwethetwinhtwe Posts: 2
    I use for social networking, a camera, an alarm clock ,read eBooks and sometime i use it for test my web apps.