Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you use your mobile phone for?

1192021222325»

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,195 mod
    My Samsung phone has always been a dud when it comes to memory. I rarely take photos on it and delete them again as soon as I can transfer them @Vok. I have paired down the number of apps on it to the barest minimum too. I don't want anything that will cost an arm and a leg either. I have a neat acer tablet that is a bit on the big side to use as a phone but I recently discovered it can take two sim cards, which is what I will be looking for. I'm wondering if I can find a decent cover for it that maybe I could use this until I find a suitable replacement.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,117 mod
    Vok said:

@GemmaRowlands @mheredge

It looks as if Apple finally face up to the cause of their wheeling and dealing. They try to make up for keeping the customers in the dark about slowing down their smatphones by offering price-reduced battery replacements. Apparently I haven't been long enough on this forum to include a link to my post, but the news can be easily found on the Guardian website.

Yes, I have seen this. At least they're offering some kind of solution for the problem, though I think their products should last longer when you consider the amount of money that people spend on them.
    I need to do some research on mobile phones to work out which I should go for. Ideally it needs to be able to take two simcards as when I'm in Nepal, I have two numbers used just as much as each other and also useful when one works better in some places.
    mheredge said:

I need to do some research on mobile phones to work out which I should go for. Ideally it needs to be able to take two simcards as when I'm in Nepal, I have two numbers used just as much as each other and also useful when one works better in some places.

I saw a phone a few years back that is sort of a mimic of an iPhone, and that had two simcard spaces. I can't remember what it was though, but I would like one myself now so that I can have a separate business number.
    What a shame you can't remember what it was @GemmaRowlands. If you can think what brand it was, please let me know!
  • CanizCaniz Posts: 28 ✭✭
    As we are in 21 century, no one can ever imagine of living life without mobile devices. From old to young age, everyone uses mobile for a various reason.

For me, of course for talking, using social media site, checking emails. In addition to it, taking photo and video to keep moment memorable.
    Caniz said:

As we are in 21 century, no one can ever imagine of living life without mobile devices. From old to young age, everyone uses mobile for a various reason.

For me, of course for talking, using social media site, checking emails. In addition to it, taking photo and video to keep moment memorable.

I just about remember what it was like to be without mobile phones, and it is weird now, because you can just chat to people whenever you want to.
  • ZeyaZeya Posts: 24 ✭✭
    As we have seen for nowadays that someone can't be separated from cellphone. It becomes the important thing in human life. And some people will go crazy if they don't bring it wherever they go.

I use it for communicating with others, such as make a call, chatting, open social media, browsing, and sometimes I use it for playing games.
    Today I have to agree with you @Zeya, that I had to have my mobile phone with me as I was meeting with a delivery van in a couple of locations and needed to be able to coordinate with the driver. However much of the time it isn't necessary to have it to hand so much of the time. There's more to life than being connected 24/7 and I almost like it that my mobile phone has a faulty battery and switches itself off from time to time!
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 8,590 mod
    @Zeya and @mheredge I don't use very often my smartphone but i am glad that it exists because it sometimes gives me feelngs of happiness . This happened this morning my grandson was showing his sweater ( made by myself) to his friends, and his mom made a movie of it and sent it to me. And can you believe how proud I was?
    @mheredge Yes, I also agree with you that we don't have to hand it so much all time. In some cases, cellphone changes human's behaviour as they only focus on their phone rather than had a conversation verbally with their friends. I think it is become serious problem in human life.
    @Paulette I know how proud are you. You were so lucky. Beside its negative sides, cellphone also have some positive sides, right? :)
  • VokVok Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I think it's good to take 'digital detox' breaks from your devices every now and again. It's hard to do of course if your work depends on you being on-line around the clock. I use a dumb phone at work and my management are not happy that I'm ostensibly not using messengers like WhatsApp, Viber etc. They think I'm old-fashioned and very set in my ways. I don't care. I do use WhatsApp, but in my private life only. Just the mere idea of being so easily accessible to my colleagues give my head in.
    There's a very amusing poster you can read on tube trains @Vok that takes the mick on how dependent people are and how to cope when the mobile phone's battery runs out. I'll try to find the text to share it with you.
    Zeya said:

As we have seen for nowadays that someone can't be separated from cellphone. It becomes the important thing in human life. And some people will go crazy if they don't bring it wherever they go.

I use it for communicating with others, such as make a call, chatting, open social media, browsing, and sometimes I use it for playing games.

It annoys me a lot when I am out with my friends and they won't put their phones down, as it makes me think they don't want to give me any attention at all.
    edited January 18
    I'd love to see it @mheredge . I think to take the mickey out of people with a catchy slogan is good way to attract their attention.
    Sadly I can't find it @Vok. Maybe it's not been put on the internet.

I did however find some London Underground funnies that you might find amusing. British humour at its best!

http://www.darvill.clara.net/funnies/funny303.htm
    http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/viral/articles/funniest-inspirational-london-underground-tube-quotes
    @GemmaRowlands you're right. Some people doesn't understand what is the purpose of 'meet up' with friends. When we do that (meet up with friends) and they only focus on their phone, sometime it triggers us to do the same thing because they don't give any attention to us. In some cases, some people will leave their friends when they only focus on their phone.
  • vnrabuvnrabu Posts: 20 ✭✭
    i Have a smart phone usinf facebook, whats up, phone calls and skype intract with others
    No worries @mheredge . The links you shared with us made up for it and gave me a good laugh. I particularly like this one:
    "Ladies & Gentleman, upon departing the train may I remind you to take your rubbish with you. Despite the fact that you are in something that is metal, fairly round, filthy and smells, this is a tube train for public transport and not a wheelie bin."
    @GemmaRowlands this is why I love the idea of the restaurant that encourages their clients to leave the phones off with a discount. Even better are the restaurants brave enough not to have wifi, though most people have this any way so it doesn't make much difference.
  • RoseAmmu01RoseAmmu01 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I used to put alarms on mobile phones to woke up every morning. Also, I used mobile phones to make call , messaging. Whatsapp , facefook are my favorite apps which helps me to spend my boring hours.
    I find the alarm very useful too @RoseAmmu01. My mobile didn't charge properly last night so I was afraid it would die this morning when I had to go out. Fortunately no one had to call me and now I'm home again, I'm hoping it will charge properly. Later today I am going to some research of what I should try to get as a replacement.
    Zeya said:

@GemmaRowlands you're right. Some people doesn't understand what is the purpose of 'meet up' with friends. When we do that (meet up with friends) and they only focus on their phone, sometime it triggers us to do the same thing because they don't give any attention to us. In some cases, some people will leave their friends when they only focus on their phone.

I think it's because they are taking their friends for granted, and they assume that their friends will always be there, but that isn't necessarily going to be the case.
    It happened to me once @mheredge when I overslept because my phone batteries had run out of charge. Now I set two alarm clocks just to be on the safe side. One is on my smartphone and the other is on my dumb phone set for 5 minutes later.
    @GemmaRowlands I agree with you. I think it's disrespectful to be on the phone while spending tine with your friends and loved ones, unless they're on the phones too.
    I set my alarm on my phone and tablet @Vok as like you, I don't trust one by itself.

Last night I looked at the reviews on phones and I think I will go for a Lenova P2. It can take a dual sim which I need in Nepal and also seems to hold the record for long battery life. The added bonus is that it is not so expensive either.