Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you use your mobile phone for?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 4,088 mod
Mobile phones these days can do a great number of things, and because of this people are using them for more things than ever before.

I use mine for checking emails, social networking, a camera, an alarm clock, to track my exercise and heart rate and of course as a phone.

What do you use yours for?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,482 mod
    Phone calls, sms messages and depending on the phone, I might check emails. The alarm function has its uses, but I use a tablet for most things many people use their phone for.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,088 mod
    I have a tablet too, but I only really use that to play games on. I will sometimes use it to write my articles if I am having problems with my laptop for any reason, but that doesn't usually happen very much.
  • HilandriusHilandrius Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I am really using my mobile phone 100 % in last couple of months. As I have discovered podcast app recently I use every free moment to listen different channels in English. It is also my personal library cause I have a lot of e-books and audio books on my phone. These days mobile phones gives a lot of oppurtunity to improve your knowledge but only if you use it in right way. When I bought my first mobile phone I just played games and chat with my friends but it was just a lost of my time.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    For phone calls, internet, whatsapp and Skype sometimes. I usually prefer whatsapp for messages and calls even.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭
    All things that you can think about.I check my email,play games,listen to music,watch video clips and movies and ,the most important one, call .
    I use WhatsApp when I'm in India but I haven't used it much otherwise @Bubbly.
    @mheredge now viber is also used for online calls and messages.
    Ah yes, I forgot about WhatsApp. I use that a lot too. It's good because it doesn't matter which country people are in, you can still talk for free using the app, which is great as far as I am concerned.
    I'm not sure if viber is so much used outside Asia @Bubbly. All my friends in India seemed to use it a lot though. Maybe it's also to do with how the different company packages work too. Here in France and Britain packages tend to give you a set number of minutes and messages included in your monthly deal, with data costing a lot more than in Asian countries. I don't know if this might influence what use people make of different apps.
  • NiwatNiwat Posts: 6
    The mobile phone is one thing we need in our life. I use it for calls, sms message, shopping, and i usually prefer Line for chat with others.
    @mheredge There are many apps that people use for calls and messages without paying any charges. I am surprised why Britain packages are expensive.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
    Basically I use my cell phone for almost everything. Apps are also useful especially the calendar app. Besides they helps us to keep in touch with friends and relatives.
    I was amazed at a guy's watch that could do everything like a mobile but was being worn around the wrist. I guess this is the next generation mobile.
    I have seen a watch like that because a friend of mine has one, and he can do almost anything on it. It's so handy when he can call people he needs to whenever he wants to, in fact I have been thinking about getting one for myself, but I don't have the money at the moment.
  • UxmanGhani108UxmanGhani108 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Alarm to get up early in the morning , Expense app to control my expenses , For checking mails , some time interacting with friends .
    I like the idea of the app to control your expenses. I think that this might be something that I should try out for myself, as I have a lot that I need to keep track of. I use my phone for many things, and I think that it is great that you can use it for so many parts of your life.
    I forget to mention that I use my mobile as an alarm clock that I set on daily to awake early in the morning.
    Last night, I accidentally set my clock to a timer instead of an alarm clock, so it didn't ring this morning. Luckily, I woke up early anyway and got up when I need to, but if I overslept I wouldn't have woken up on time.
    @GemmaRowlands I usually don't wake up without alarm. :) But, sometimes due to any important assignment, I wake up earlier than the set alarm.
  • jsimancasfjsimancasf Posts: 87 ✭✭
    I saw almost all the heroes series through my cell phone!!! Lol
    @jsimancasf which series?
    @Bubbly the series name is "Heroes".
    My job allows me to begin my day whenever I like @Bubbly so I don't usually set an alarm, although I do like to get started before 9am where possible. I also find that I wake up earlier when I have important events. Perhaps your brain is helping you to prepare for the event!
    My brain is a very good alarm clock in this way too @GemmaRowlands, but I never rely on it, just in case. Just once, it let me down and I nearly missed an early morning flight.
    Yes I think the brain is a lot more powerful than most people give it credit for. A lot of the time, it knows exactly when it needs to wake up, and more often than not I will wake up just before my alarm goes off anyway!
    The problem here in Nepal is having electricity to recharge the battery. Last night there was a problem with the power all night.
    Yes it must be difficult to be in a country with limited or unreliable electricity. I had a power cut at my home earlier today, which is very rare in my country, and it was very inconvenient, so it makes me realise just how lucky I am to be able to have power most of the time.
    @GemmaRowlands I'm lucky just like you. Where I live the most of time we have electricity.
    I had to leave my tablet on standby so the alarm could wake me tjos morning. Fortunately the generator came on few hours from 6am so I was ableto recharge all my batteries.
    It is lucky that you were able to wake yourself up. I am glad that your generator kicked in so that everything was sorted for you.