Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Unexpected stable stoichiometries of sodium chlorides

science24science24 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
the chemical formula of table salt has been changed by crazy chemistry.

Standard chemistry textbooks say that sodium and chlorine have very different electronegativities, and thus must form an ionic compound with a well-defined composition. Sodium's charge is +1, chlorine's charge is -1; sodium will give away an electron, chlorine wants to take an electron. According to chemistry texts and common sense, the only possible combination of these atoms in a compound is 1:1 -- rock salt, or NaCl.

read more here

sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131219142138.htm

Comments

• science24science24 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    unbelievable but true :-/
  • pryfllwydpryfllwyd The AnthropocenePosts: 1,405 mod
    Oh goody I always suspected that chemistry was wrong.
    Really @pryfllwyd ???

I trusted chemistry so much but now I am very shy of telling you that. :-/
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,751 mod
    I'm sure we know only a tiny fraction about the subject.
    edited December 2013
    But we have trust what we know, or we will not be able to launch rockets, getting power, facilitate communications, ............and so on?
    we don't know everything but we know something
    @mheredge you seem more pessimistic regarding science, am I right?
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,606 mod
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this is amazing; I've always thought chemistry as the most fascinating branch of learning and the article posted by @science24 confirms me in this.
    I enjoyed studying chemistry so much when at university, and I knew it was propaedeutic to biology which was what my course of studies dealt with.
    If I don't go wrong, I recall the Bohr's pattern referring to the structure of the simplest element, the hydrogen atom, which had the electron as an infinitesimal particle of matter, spinning around the proton.
    Then they told us that the electron wasn't a particle, but rather a wave function which gives us the most probable position of the electron according either to the attraction of the nucleus or to the repulsion of the other electrons.
    Then, to give us a more clear representation of such a probable distribution, they came up with the drawing of differently shaped regions surrounding the nucleus, following an exact pattern in succeeding one after the other, then in repeating the pattern farther away from the nucleus.
    They called these regions orbitals, and decided that no more than two electrons could fill each orbital.
    Then they decided that any atoms had just one purpose, the one to reach the electronic configuration which allowed them to be as much stable as possible, hence reducing their energy.
    They discovered that any atoms, in order to gain this, tended to reach the electronic configuration of the nearest noble gas, which had 8 electrons in their outer electronic shell, the so-called octet or configuration with the lowest energy involved.
    Now, my question is: since researchers have proved false the octet rule, hat off to them, what's the use of having spent so many times on chemistry textbooks, and having burnt the midnight oil, if all that was definitely in vain ?
    I'd like to be compensated for all this hard study, let alone the fact that the octet rule has ever been one of my unquestionable firm scientific belief; shall I start again from scratch ? :D
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,751 mod
    @filauzio I displeased the chemistry teacher at school so much that she hated me and put me off the subject. I used to heat the test tubes up too quickly (not intentionally I might add) and they used to explode their contents all over the bench. I loved physics though.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But @mheredge the fact you used to explode all the test tubes which you happened to handle was to your credit and proved you to be a great chemist.
    By means of blowing up tubes and even the bench I suppose, most of the past scientists managed to discover new possible reactions and chemical compounds.
    Once I remember having forgotten a rather expensive instrument for measuring the temperature inside the microwave oven we had in the laboratory.
    When my teacher found out that I had neglected to take the instrument out the oven in time, she scolded me quite sternly; I thought I would have had to compensate for the loss.
    Between her frowning at snarling at me, I seemed to be grasping from her speech that there was just one of such instruments in the whole department.
    However this of her was just an hyperbole, because she had got in a flap since the thermometer had melted into the vessel, so mixing with the contents of it, then invalidating the whole measuring process.