Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

"Why do you hate vocabulary?" you ask. "Because it's boring!" - I'll answer.

GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in A Question of English
So, since I'm a terrible bummer (lazy) and I have no interest in learning words as a poem, I decided to proceed as follows: for each learned word, will write one sentence, and sometimes I'll be more difficult to come up with two words (in one sentence of course). Interesting motivation, isn't it? You can follow my example. Let's rock!))
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Since I'm not CONFIDENT with my speaking skills, I AVOID it!
    If I'm understood correctly @Lynne, I should more INTERACT with others! It's TOUGH for me, because I have no enough vocab. as says the discussion's title above!
  • FoieglanFoieglan Posts: 57 ✭✭
    @Glorian If you want to find the definition of a word you REQUIRE a dictionary.
  • FoieglanFoieglan Posts: 57 ✭✭
    But more important is the fact that you need to figure out what the word means by using its context, in order to COMPREHEND the word and understand how to use it.
    Very well done @Foieglan! It seems you're not a newcomer in english. Yes you're right, thank you for your SUGGESTION. But I hate to learn a words direct from dictionary.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,936 mod
    @Glorian - Just use the vocabulary you have, and learn from the people you interact with. :)
    edited October 2015
    Thank you dear @Lynne, but I'm too CURIOUS and my tiny vocabulary not enough for interaction with others too much. But I'll do my best, I'll promise! LOL.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,936 mod
    Tap into that enthusiasm. You just have to accept that it will be frustrating, from time to time. I know it is a humbling experience. All those witty and interesting things you would say, if only you had the words.
    Yes I would! EVEN if you waked up me in midnight @Lynne!
    Very well done @Foieglan! Seems you're not a newсomer in english. LOL.
    And yes, you're right, thank you for your SUGGESTION! But unfortunately, I hate to learn a words direct from dictionary.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Glorian Learn one new word on daily basis and use it in your discussions. :)
    Exactly @Bubbly, this is what I decided to do in this discussion. ;)
    @Glorian so what is today's word? :)
  • sasa14sasa14 Posts: 5
    i think we should learn phrases instead of vocb
    Yesterday @Bubbly, I was ATTENDed in skype (in AM/PM session) and you wasn't there! Can I ask you why? I know that you are in a skypers-group and now you're not gonna turn! I would like to have a friend near that will helps me in difficult situations (with my explanation in english through skype-session)!
    So, dear @sasa14... which phrase you have learnt? Could you share with me, I'd like to. ;)
    @Glorian I would love to attend @NatashaT 's sessions but it is almost midnight in Pakistan at session's time. So, I can't attend it. Bad luck!

You will find many other sessions where I will see you. Like I regularly attend Monday's reading session, then Wednesday's reading session. Firday's Aladdin session, sometimes in join me session. There is another session that I host and it is "Storytellers" on Saturday. Why don't you join that session?
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,849 mod
    @Glorian words are such FUN. They're FABULOUS, FANTASTIC, FASCINATING, and in time will be FAMILIAR FRIENDS.
    So many adjectives @mheredge!)) I'll try to remember them, SUDDENLY come in handy!
    @Bubbly, I also have a midnight when I joined, there is a session tommorow?
    I heard that you get what you DESERVE! But I don't want to agree with this statement, all I want is to get what I want, really want! You know, sometimes you do thing that you don't want to do! And inside your head appears one little idea, that tells you do something different! But you DOUBT, "Is it right?", "Is it really I want to do?", but in my case I was visited by another thought, I'm POSSESSED with it! - "Can I earn a living from it?" and this idea visits me too often! Nobody wants to be unhappy and I'm including! And happy is do things that you love with all your heart, you're living with and that makes you think you're doing something WORTHWHILE!
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    First, what a good idea! to write a sentence here with a new word you've learnt

Glorian Posts: October 27
    Since I'm not CONFIDENT with my speaking skills, I AVOID it!

Second! avoid speaking! very bad idea! don't think to keep doing that! especially in Skype sessions, we make mistakes, we miss some words, we don't express ourselves well but at the end we try and we speak! and from the way you write you look that you have what is more than enough to speak!

finally, it would be great if we hear you speaking in the next session! we'll ask @NatashaT 's help for that!
    @Glorian yes. It is all about learning and for that you will have to be actively participate. Don't be shy to make mistakes. We really want you to break that barrier and for that initially no body will help you except you.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,849 mod
    You're OBSESSED with the idea @Glorian.

edited October 2015
    First, thank you dear Nana, is it you, right?!))) I'll be more confident next session I hope, I would like to... Second, and you should visit my http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/2851/hey-you-come-and-have-some-fun-lets-talk-about-punctuation/p1! Here we talking about how to write more correctly, with commas and dots through writing.
    edited October 2015
    You're right @mheredge, I know this word too, but I wanted to use exactly word "POSSESSION". Possessed by idea like possessed by demons, the idea is very persistent and haunting you know... Could I?
    Yes @Bubbly, nobody except me, I will DEVELOPE my skills, thank you all for supporting me! ;)
    @Glorian see you in the sessions. :)
    edited November 2015
    I always asking myself, why is life not composed the way we want. Maybe the problem lies in us, and we should to change an APPROACH? Hm... there are too much CIRCUMSTANCES that I would not want to happen... but I thank God for sending me this! But ENDEAVOUR to change a thinking is worth it!
    edited November 2015
    A CAULIFLOWER waiting for preparation! Let's see what will come of this! To be honest, in my chillhood, I always tried to catch this vegetable from my plate! :D