Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you think of selfies?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 3,667 mod
If you're on any social networking websites, you will have noticed that more people take selfies (a photograph of yourself) than ever before. It seems as though we can hardly log onto our accounts without seeing lots of different photographs of people.

What do you think about the trend? Do you think that it is a good thing or a bad thing that people take so many photographs of themselves?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,519 mod
    I think people have always wanted photos of themselves, but in the past would need to set the camera on auto-timer or ask someone to take a picture. But there does seem to be an unhealthy trend of taking selfies so much now that I wonder if it's not a reflection of the growing trend for self-preoccupation?
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Narcissism is one of the oldest theory for self love. It is nature to be accepted by others in terms of appreciation and love. Selfies is a kind of expression where you try to capture your best pose so that it is appreciated well by others.

Now, it is a worldwide trend where people capture every single moment of their lives. I am not against it but sometimes when someone try to capture moments through selfie instead of enjoying that moment, then it is disturbing. I went to a wedding ceremony two months back and there I see people are just taking selfies without any break. The only missing part is people are so much involved in these things that they forget the of socialization. I wonder what do they do afterwards. Do they make folders of those pictures and show them to others or do they get some satisfaction after watching themselves again and again. :)

I take selfies a selfless approach towards life. :)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,667 mod
    Yes I agree, people do want to be accepted by others, and this is largely what the selfie culture is all about. It is a sad truth when we cannot just be happy with what we see in the mirror. But I believe that selfies are here to stay, and there isn't much that we can do about it.
    Yesterday I went hiking with some friends and one girl kept wanting to take group selfies. It was such a bore!
  • Taking Selfie is just for fun.i guess groupie is in trend too now a days..
    I also know of some people who want to take photographs all the time @mheredge and you're right, it can get boring after a while. But I do think that's just the culture that we're in these days, so we need to embrace it. I don't think selfies are going away any time soon!
  • nmmnmm Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I hate this trend as when people go to visit some place they start taking pictures instead of enjoying the atmosphere. Even then I too take selfies myself sometime :smile:
    @nmm yes. Taking sefies isn't bad but in due process we miss to enjoy some precious moments that need our undivided atttention.
  • bisobiso Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    The trend is reality of today, we follow the advancement even if there are ones that abuse it by quantity.
    Yes @nmm I think that a lot of people take too many photographs when they go to places now, because they want other people to know that they've had a good time instead of just enjoying the moment for what it is. It is such a shame, but it is a trend that I don't think is going to change in the near future, unfortunately.
  • UxmanGhani108UxmanGhani108 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Selfies.. Hmmmm , Good for seeing the real images
    I take loads of photos and always have, since I was given my first Kodak instamatic when I was a kid. I don't take pictures for other people (unless it's to do with work). But looking back on photos taken over the years is really interesting @GemmaRowlands. I would never discourage taking lots of photos.

It's easier now but I had a friend who used to click his way around the places he travelled to through. His photos of Dubai in the 1930s (half a dozen tin shacks) were at the time, just tourist snaps. Similarly snaps ofmy first visit to Nepal are fascinating to compare with the snaps I take now with my digital camera or phone.

Here in Nepal, you can be in a remote village somewhere and when the photo album comes out, you can see how much they're appreciated by everyone.
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh... hate this, especially when girls do duck's lips. :angry:
    I agree about the duck lips, I don't like that either @Glorian and I don't think that many girls look good with that kind of pose. But still they feel as though they need to do it. I do take selfies sometimes but only with other people, I don't stand there and take photos of myself.
  • sanaasanaa Posts: 6
    hi all :) i want to learn english language
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,509 mod
    What do you think of selfies @sanaa?
  • LienLien Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    I used to like selfie. Now I do not like selfie trend, because it made your privacy less safe. I see that selfie is not good. Someone show affected manners on social network, someone become a boaster. I am not fond of it anymore.
    I'm impressed that I've only seen a couple of selfie sticks in Vietnam. When I was in China last spring, I kept seeing them everywhere. I'm not a fan of selfies. I rarely take photos with anything other than my camera.
    I think the selfie stick trend is lessening @mheredge and although a lot of people own them, very few seem to take them out anywhere anymore. I have one myself, but wouldn't get it out at parties or anything like that.
  • OmerHOmerH Posts: 129 ✭✭
    It's alright but I prefer to stay behind the camera. Photography is my favourite pastime.
    Selfie sticks are not trendy here in Pakistan but people love to take selfies especially on picnic spots. I agree with @GemmaRowlands that this trend is lessening now. May be there is something else in the replacement of these sticks.
    Maybe people are starting to be less openly self obsessed do you think @Bubbly?
    No they might be looking forward to new technology that is more convenient that selfie sticks.
  • LienLien Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Selfie sticks have been bought in my country. All these products comes from China. There are many Chinese products in my country.
    @lien China is ruling these days because of its mass production of things.

Do you like to take pictures with the help of selfie stick?
    I don't think people are necessarily becoming less self obsessed, but the sticks are quite difficult to carry round so once people have used them a few times I suppose the novelty wears off.
    @GemmaRowlands as a customer, I personally want something smarter than a selfie stick. :)
    Do you mean smarter like something that works better, or something that looks better? I agree on both counts, actually! But I think everyone got caught up with the novelty factor of it more than anything else.
    Next step from selfie sticks are the gadgets to strap your camera to your head, bike, arm or whatever so that you can take film of where you're going. This is a lot better that having the camera pointing at you!
    @mheredge you have already disclosed the new ideas. :)