Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What hobby would you most like to try?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,337 mod
If you have lots of friends, you will know that everybody has different hobbies. Which is the one that you would like to try the most, out of all of them? I know that I would love to try go-karting, but there is nowhere that I am able to do it around where I live, so I can't do it at the moment.

If you could try any hobby, what would it be?

Comments

• mcc15mcc15 Posts: 79 ✭✭
    That's definitely platform diving! I'm not sure if I would enjoy it. It's more a matter of stepping out of the comfort zone :) I'm not talking about crazy things such as front flips/back flips. Just a boring jump from a platform which is set at 33ft. Maybe I like it and keep practising until I'm able to do flips. I had the chance a few times, but I just couldn't do it so far!

I also would like to try climbing. Many friends of mine climb and I think it's a lot of fun. It's on my bucket list!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,337 mod
    Wow that sounds exciting. It's one of those things that you just know would be amazing if you managed to try it, yet at the same time you're not sure whether you would be brave enough or not. So yes I agree with you on that one, it does sound like great fun indeed!
  • soshiant1992soshiant1992 Posts: 28 ✭✭
    i would like unbox therapy as a hobby but that would be too expensive a hobby so i don't see that happening
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,105 mod
    What is unbox therapy @soshiant1992 ?
    @mheredge look it up .
    its some rich dudes buying expensive stuff then opening it
    and filming themselves open it .
    how do you mention people in your comment as hyperlink ?
    never mined some namedropper noti came for me so it must have been earned . @soshiant1992
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I would like to try paragliding and swimming. I know one of my old colleagues who is spend his weekend for paragliding and he invited me many times to his club. I couldn't go because my mum doesn't allow me to do risky adventures, but after watching the videos of paragliding, I was totally moved by it. May be somewhere in future I will go for it.
    Then, I like to go swimming but there is no good swimming pool in the nearest area.
    Swimming is something that I do several times per week @Bubbly in fact I have done it today. I swim for about an hour each time I go, and I always come out feeling wonderfully relaxed, which is great. I would fully recommend that you try it if you ever get the chance to do so.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands I wish I could get a chance but no such facility in my area. But, if you are weight conscious, swimmimg is a good exercise to keep you fit.
    Yes swimming is an excellent way to keep fit, and it doesn't matter if you're worried about your weight, because once you're in the water nobody can see what you look like anyway. That's one of the main reasons that I started swimming.
    I'm going to see if I can do a course in batik. There's supposed to be a good school in Chiang Mai where I can try this out.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favourite hobby is reading I can read more time without bored.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    If I have more money, I'd try latin dances and rock 'n roll.
  • Thai@7Thai@7 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Discover the culture of many country
    I'm getting very excited about the batik course I'll be doing on Friday. I have a choice of making my design on a bag, T-shirt, wall hanging, long-sleeved shirt or a cushion cover.
    I did some batik work at school, and it was great fun. Of course, I was younger then, so the things I could make would be much better now. I had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    > @Thai@7 said:
    > Discover the culture of many country

Grammar correction:
    To discover/Discovering many countries' culture.

By the way! It's nice thing.
    @GemmaRowlands it was so enjoyable that I'm keen to go and try the more advanced class. But I'm not sure it's something I'd do at home as you need the right equipment.

Monday I'm going to a macrobiotics cooking class to learn how to make tofu and cook healthily.
    I am glad that you enjoyed the class @mheredge it is great when you find a new hobby. And wow, healthy eating is great, so you will soon be able to cook your own healthy meals!
  • nagrolnagrol Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I would like to do long hiking in my country and abroad as well. There are many hiking roads in the natures or in the countries. There are exciting pilgrim roads. Just walking, getting know people, seeing lands, and villages. Around the world :)
    There are lots of roads on which to hike @nagrol and most people will find that there are some around their local area if only they take the time to look for them!
  • thegingerelvisthegingerelvis Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I would like to try surfing, I've been watching surf events since I was a little boy, however I never got into it.
    I'm not sure what new hobby I'd like to take up. I suppose I wouldn't mind ziplining.
    I have tried surfing @thegingerelvis and it is actually a lot harder than it looks, to be honest with you. They make it look very easy indeed, but there is a lot of skill and balance involved - I wasn't very good at it at all.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,641 mod
    Do you like swimming as well? @thegingerelvis
    Me, I like listening to music and singing with it as well. Sample genres are ballad, R&B, Pop, and many more. ;)
    I love listening and singing to music @kindgnice and thanks to the fact I'm in a band I am able to make music on a regular basis, which is nice.
    Do you have a sample recording voice from Spreaker? I thought I have shared you my sample record. Hope you heard it. ;) @GemmaRowlands
    I haven't heard it yet unfortunately as I'm sharing office space, but when I'm on my own I will take a look!
    Oh, I understand @GemmaRowlands. ;)