Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you do on a rainy day?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 3,647 mod
When it's raining, and there's no way that you can go outside, what do you do to entertain yourself? Personally, I like to read a book or magazine, and use my home gym. This means that I'm not really wasting any of the time that I would normally have spent outside, but I don't like the rain so I won't go out if it is raining heavily.

What about you? How do you entertain yourself on a rainy day?

Comments

• nelnel Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭
    When the weather is rainy I sit next to a widow and look at sky and clouds. Some times I go out and walking for hours and enjoy. Iranian believe when it's raining God hear our prayers and desires and he comply us. In that time I speak with God and ask him about all people who had many problems and need to our helps. Now I invite @Hekner @Lynne @Xeb @mheredge @april @Xanthippe @zakaria_dandouni1 @Frank @Hermine and all you to take part in this discussion.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 4,979 mod
    edited March 2015
    Bonus correction @nel;

When the weather is rainy I sit next to a window and look at the sky and the clouds. Some times I go out and walking for hours and enjoy it. Iranian people believe, that when it's raining, God hears our prayers and desires and he complies to us. In that time I speak with God and ask him about all the people who have many problems and need to our helps. Now I want to invite @Hekner @Lynne @Xeb @mheredge @april @Xanthippe @zakaria_dandouni1 @Frank @Hermine and all of you, to take part in this discussion.
    Thanks @Frank. Now answer it.
    edited March 2015
    I understand you get into an inner reflection when it rains @nel. Rain might be something special to you, is that right? Does it often rain where you live? I can imagine that people who live in England have to reflect on themselves continuously if they have to do that every time it rains. I think people's attitude towards rain also depends on what they consider important. Farmers in dry areas are really happy when it rains, but people who go to thee beach for sunbathing don't like it at all.

When it rains after a dry period in our country, I could go outside and, figuratively speaking, sing and dance in the rain. The rain will be a bit warm and tender then. However, when its raining in winter, when it's windy, cold and dark. I consider it to be very depressing, especially when it endures for a long time. Then I like to sit inside and turn the heater high.
    If I really feel happy, the rain will not effect my mood. Then I really could be singing in the rain.
    You're right @Frank. In Iran and in my city the weather is rarely rainy and when it's cloudy I enjoy more. Sunny days are boring somewhere and rainy days is boring for other countries people not?
  • XebXeb lynnehand@googlemail.com Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2015
    March means rain and gusts of wind in France, so I don't mind. But I'm not so happy with rainy weather in May in June. In July and August, if it's an exceptional hot summer, I gladly welcome rain to refresh the atmosphere.
    Post edited by Xeb on
    Well you tell truth @Xeb. In a hot summer rain is an excellent event.
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm in the motorcycle I enjoy the rain, if I'm walking I take a bus or taxi, if I'm home I stay home, if I have to go out I put my Jacket and take a bus or a taxi .
    Well @zakaria_dandouni1 do you enjoy of raining when you aren't on your motorcycle ?
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,668 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like rain very much as it brings lots of changes in my mood. It also gives me a chance to express n reflect myself in the form of poetry, writing, and reading. I usually enjoy rain in summer by walking and enjoying. In winter i just sit in my room and open a window for sometime, enjoy drinking a cup of strong tea or coffee and write down some poem, story, or any other thing I feel at that time.
  • SunSun Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    I do not like so much rainy weather. Maybe if it rains slowly I would like it, but here when it is rainy almost always it happens downpour. Just now in my country have some flooded villages.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,519 mod
    I find it quite amusing when people in Nepal use the rain, as excuse not to do things or go to places, even if they are just down the road. This is especially strange during the rainy season when you can expect it to rain. Have they never heard or umbrellas?

Coming from a very rainy country, when it rains I tend to continue business as normal.

@bubbli you are like me. When I was younger I wrote poems and stories whenever it started to rain. I think we are so sensitive and ebullient.
    @nel thats nice. So do you still write stories or poems?
    It was easy to I understood you like sunny weather more than rainy. Your name is demonstrator of your interests. Isn't it @Sun ?
    No @bubbli. These days I'm so busy. I have to go to work every day but I still enjoy when I read a poem or book. Sometimes I make a poem in my mind and then I forget it.I always liked poems and literature of different countries.
    @mheredge do you mean people in Nepal never use umbrella when it's raining?
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really I like sunny weather.
  • SunSun Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    It is true @nel . My name shows what I want the most. I really like sunny weather. With sun goes many other beautiful things. At first I can to drink my coffee on my terrace surrounded with amazing flowers and listening to the songs of birds. Also I can stay out longer and I can work in my garden. I can swim and enjoy the warm rays of the sun.
    @nel you should write down what comes in your mind. It is the flow of your creative stream and you should not block it like that. I encourage you on that.
    @Sun it's a good feel when it's cool and sun is shinning. We can use of its heat.
    I really like to do it @bubbli but these days I'm so busy and my mind is tired. Do you ever heard about many information that are in our minds but we never use them and forget soon?
    @nel yes I heard about it. But I am waiting for your next poem.:)
    I will try to do my best @bubbli .
    All the best @nel
  • YosephYoseph Posts: 10
    I really like when it's raining, usually when it happens I go for a walk and I like to feel the raindrops on my face.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,804 mod
    I like observing raindrops falling down when I am inside.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,519 mod
    nel said:

@mheredge do you mean people in Nepal never use umbrella when it's raining?

Not as many people use umbrellas as they do in the UK @nel. They just stay home instead!
    Marianne I personally knew many people who have umbrella at home but, whenever they go out in rain, they use a newspaper or a paper to protect themselves from the rain. Strange habit.:)