Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What did you eat? / have you eaten? / are you eating now?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,451 mod
    I've just eaten tapas. ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    She was native to where, @Hermine? Was she British?

Today I don't think I will have much to eat as last time I had dinner on a train, it upset my stomach for a few days.

However, I have just been treated to a cup of tea by the ticket inspector. I think I'll be drinking a lot of tea today!

There are several railway officials sitting in the compartment near me. I don't think they're going as far as Calcutta though (22 hours away).
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,740 mod
    @Marianne, yes she was. I met her on a walk and I invited her over for tea. She was on holiday here. Her husband passed away recently. We spent a nice time together, drank tea together had a chat an I showed her some intersting things in my village.
    I was introduced to a professor at the university in Calcutta who's offered to show me around some of the sights outside the city tomorrow. It's so much more interesting to see places with someone who is a native to the area. @Hermine‌. I bet that British woman went home with some wonderful memories.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I'm going to cook lunch for my family. Today's menu includes spaghetti, salade and roast beef. What do you prefer to cook or to eat? Do you have some simple recipe that I can try to prepare?
    Hi @marian. Welcome to the forum! Keep an eye out for recipes, as they do get shared here from time to time.

I've just had a bowl of chicken wanton soup for dinner. I had a big lunch, so I'm still feeling full.
    I am striving for a mug of luke-warm milk with honey. I cannot go into the kitchen, because I am having my pyjamas on and in the kitchen there is a visitor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Striving? It seems to me that you were just waiting for the guy to leave the kitchen. This doesn't seem to require much effort, @Hermine‌.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Thank you for welcome mheredge. I'll look at your earlier posts.
    @xeb, yes my position was not the best.
    I'm eating the most divine chocolate cake and ice cream. The cake is full of nuts. And the Kingfisher Strong (8%) that's washing it down isn't bad either.
    Beer with cake, that sounds unusual for me.

I'll preprape myself a salmon filet and leek curry for tea.
    I hadn't finished the beer that I'd been drinking with my main course @xeb. Today I have avoided eating as my stomach is a bit upset. (No, not because of the beer and chocolate cake, but yesterday I hadn't eaten either.)
    Smos!

Not a sarnie for me. What does "smos" mean, @april?
    I ate a bar of plain chocolate. Probably not the best remedy for an upset stomach, but it tasted nice.
    @Xeb‌,
    "Smos" is a dialect word in Antwerp.
    As a verb it means to make a mess and that will happen if you eat that sandwich.
    That's why we give that sandwich the name "smos". :)
    Thanks! Is a smos your favourite snack, @april?
    One of them @Xeb‌.
    In fact it's quite healthy because you get vegetable, cheese, meat, bread in this smos, but .... also a lot of mayo. =))
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,639 mod
    That definitely belongs in the Words with no English translation section.
    Maybe amok falls into this category too @Lynne. I think it refers to a typical Khymer sauce with coconut cream and several other local ingredients.
    My vegetable today is not green, but almost white.
    It's chicory. :)
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,639 mod
    edited March 2014
    @mheredge‌ - Amok would be more of a false friend. In English it means to behave uncontrollably and disruptively. Maybe it's a chaotic sauce. :D

@milentcvet‌ - I'm not sure I would want to drink alcohol with salad. Usually when we have salad we drink mineral water or squash.

Here's a bonus correction:-

I am eating a green salad. This is a very good accompaniment for almost any high-alcohol drink. You should try it. Not the drink, the salad!
    I had a lovely breakfast of fried eggs on toast, but my upset stomach from Calcutta hasn't given up, so I'm back to just drinking mineral water again.
    I'm curious about the origin of the word "amok".
    It's an English word as Lynne said, it's a Dutch word too, it's an Indonesian and Cambodian word as well! And it has the same meaning in those countries.
    :))
    Is amak the same in Indonesia? It wouldn't surprise me as the flavours and ingredients are popular in both places.
    For tea I had tea an a slice of strawberry cake.
    I don't think they use the word "amok" for sauce @mheredge‌, mostly it's in the meaning of behaviour.
    edited March 2014
    I`ve wolfed a piece of Tiramisu and washed it down with proper English tea.