Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Where is your favourite place to dine out?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,337 mod
When you go out to get some food, no matter whether it is with your friends or family, where do you like to go the best? I like going to carveries, which is a roast dinner with lots of vegetables. In English there is a chain of restaurants called Toby Carvery, and that is my favourite place to go. In fact, I am going there in a couple of hours.

Where is your favourite place to eat food when you go out?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,087 mod
    I like small, local restaurants where locals go, rather than tourists. In Nice these can be hard to find as there are so many tourists!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,337 mod
    Yes, smaller places are often very good, and because they're not a part of any chain, they tend to have lots of more individual dishes that you can choose from, which is great. I love trying new places that have been recommended to me by friends, so I enjoy talking to people about the best places to go.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @mheredge that small hotels and local resturants (dhaba) have better food than the five start hotels. In Lahore, majority of people dine out in these small hotels because of cheap rates and variety of desi food. I personally prefer local resturants whenever I go for field work and it also helps me to know about the local dishes as well. :)
    In Vietnam the street food is excellent @Bubbly. For a dollar or so you can get the most delicious noodle soup or fish with soup and rice. I think it's always best to look for where locals eat.
    @mheredge today I went to a local restaurant with my colleague for a breakfast. It was an amazing experience. The taste of omelet and paratha was super delicious. We decided to visit this place once in a week. :)
    I love countries that have an impressive street food culture @mheredge because you can always try amazing new things. It's not really like that where I am, but whenever I go abroad I love to try things that I wouldn't be able to get at home.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,258 mod
    edited January 2016
    Actually I do eat too less fruits, I mean I cover the vitamines by eating salad and veg, but it is really rarely that I touch apples or something like that, although I always have a bowl of fruits sitting visible on a cupboard.
    Yes @Hermine I also have a bowl of fruit on display most of the time, but sometimes it can get thrown away without me having eaten all of it, which is a shame as it is such a waste.
    There's a very cool little breakfast place nearby that is always very full. They served lovely little mini-rolls as well as a wide choice of eggs with everything. To be healthy, I have also eaten sliced mango with my finger rolls.
    That sounds wonderful @mheredge particularly because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it sounds as though people who visit the establishment that you speak of are really able to make the most of that meal.
  • PoppyPoppy Posts: 12 ✭✭
    i prefer some small but traditional restaurants and although most of them may not have nice atmosphere or even look dirty :neutral: anyway the food there is delicious and cheep , that's enough :)
    I'm told the place is famous throughout the city @GemmaRowlands . It's always busy. They open at 6am and close at 3pm.
    Wow those are long working hours for a restaurant but that must mean that they are popular and doing very well @mheredge
    I would go to a local restaurant near my home called Orlando's it's very expensive but the food looks lovely. I couldn't even afford a starter there!
    I will still prefer local restaurants where I can get some desi food. :)
  • DmitryDmitry Posts: 85 ✭✭
    On my supervision than the restaurant is less that the food is more tasty
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    i like to go out for dinner their are kabab jees,red apple and bar B Q tonight.its have good taste and have a nice atmosphere.
  • yahyooyahyoo Posts: 2
    i don't have a good place but i like Tunisian food
    Lynne said:

If you could go to eat at any restaurant in the world, no expense spared, where would you go?

@Lynne a little research finds that Osteria Francescana is rated as the best restaurant in the world, at least this year. Given it is Italian ( @Ivor_lovera, @filauzio, @torellip), I can only imagine how wonderful it might be. So this place gets my vote if money is no object and as I have never visited Moderna in Italy, this would be another very good reason to go there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteria_Francescana

• filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the scarce eating stuff being displayed in the dish, I suppose I would deliberately miss reserving a seat in such, as @mheredge wrote, reportedly rated as the best restaurant in the world, at least this year, Osteria Francescana.
    The ' Francescani ', are a group or order of religious friars, who, in former times, following in the footsteps of their founder and ethically higher example of life, a man called Francesco, based their life on a complete poverty together with exclusive reliance on begging for charity.
    I don't know if the name ' Osteria Francescana ' might have anything to do with the name of the religious order, which sounds homonym though.
    Nevertheless, this course, has all the appearances of being likely to leave you hanging around in a death want of food soon afterwards, compelled then to beg for food as well, even after enjoying such sumptuous meal.
    Let me eyeing it a bit better, what it is divine providence has provided us with:
    One stain of vinegar; one glossy bit of liver in the shape ( and size ) of a human tongue; three tufts of parsley; one... one... it seems to me like one apple's core covered by cooked rice.
    And you're expected to call it a meal though, I suspect.
    I like to indulge in the hope, at least, that the cost of the guzzler will be let to the goodness of the victims... I meant pleased with diners.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    Small size portions just might mean that you have to eat more courses @filauzio! But you're right, if this is what might be served for a main course, you will certainly leave the restaurant not only lighter in pocket but you won't have any risk of putting on weight.

mheredge said:

Small size portions just might mean that you have to eat more courses @filauzio! But you're right, if this is what might be served for a main course, you will certainly leave the restaurant not only lighter in pocket but you won't have any risk of putting on weight.

I really like places that do small portions, as it means that I am able to try more of the food that is on offer.
    There are some restaurants in Italy which claim to offer you excellent delicacies and local specialities; so you're shown to their rare dishes with a high-flown culinary language, together with an extolling one about your optimum choice.
    Unfortunately, sometimes, you turn out only to be served such dishes with much room left empty but a few stains of food lying here and there; besides, such food can fail to match your high expectations, so much swollen by the restaurateur's exaggerated self-praising words.
    All that glitters is not gold: this is especially true with Italian restaurants; you could find yourself in the end deceived with regard both to food or to expense.
    In other cases, @mheredge, as maybe it's the case with Osteria Francescana you mentioned, you just need to eat again when back home, if you did the fateful mistake of holding to just the three canonic courses.
    I could agree with @GemmaRowlands, if I had to taste several foods during a pre-course in order to choose the main course which better suit me; otherwise I would think to be forced to a strict diet.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    I think you might be too harsh on the wonderful taste of Italian food @filauzio! Even in minimist serving sizes, sometimes it is nice to savour the flavours that in a large portion size, wouldn't seem so nice.

That said, I was hungry last night and was very happy to tuck into a big plate of dal bhat with dhendo. Instead of the rice that accompanies the dal and vegetable curry, spinach and pickles, dhendo is like a heavyweight polenta made from barley or millet flour. It certainly fills the hole!
    I really like Italian food, and you're right in that smaller portions can be savoured and appreciated a lot more!

This dish would definitely suits me as a substantial helping, especially in winter cold climate, along with making me cheerful, in good spirit: creamy polenta with sausages and pork ribs, covered with tomato sauce and grated Parmesan cheese on top.
    You should obviously accompany it with an Italian strong red wine, of which you have got large choice.
    Then, while already slightly drunk, you can set out to dance at traditional music, which implies a need of just one musical instrument, making sure it's being vivaciously and easily played: the accordion.
    BTW, compare the latter picture with the former one and, soon after, take the decision what restaurant to go, considering the expense is the same. :D
    filauzio said:

This dish would definitely suits me as a substantial helping, especially in winter cold climate, along with making me cheerful, in good spirit: creamy polenta with sausages and pork ribs, covered with tomato sauce and grated Parmesan cheese on top.
    You should obviously accompany it with an Italian strong red wine, of which you have got large choice.
    Then, while already slightly drunk, you can set out to dance at traditional music, which implies a need of just one musical instrument, making sure it's being vivaciously and easily played: the accordion.

Wow, that looks amazing. The weather is cold here at the moment and I am struggling to warm up, so that is something that I think I would really enjoy!