Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

British English VS American English

Ahmed14_wAhmed14_w Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Pronunciation
Which accent do you prefer ? American accent or British accent
Which accent is most understandable?
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• RafiaremaRafiarema Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    For me, I prefer American accent because I am used to It, but British accent is more beautiful. lol
  • mdsolimanmdsoliman Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I think American accent is most understandable, But I prefer British accent more!
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    What's your numbuh? - Says the guy with the girl who wanted to meet.
  • diskvndiskvn Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I think American accent is easier for beginners (as in my country) to listen.
    British accent seems to be more attractive to me
  • nrthlee87nrthlee87 Posts: 11
    I love both. I used to think I love british accent more but since I traveled to america, I think both are incomparable.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭
    No doubt.It is crystal clear that British is the best !
  • OmerHOmerH Posts: 129 ✭✭
    British
  • nievesnieves Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I prefer British, too. It's easiar for me to understand.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,519 mod
    Watch out for some of the British regional accents though @nieves, @OmerH, @navidafrasiabian!
  • nievesnieves Posts: 48 ✭✭
    @mheredge, Yes that's true ;-)
  • OmerHOmerH Posts: 129 ✭✭
    Yeah, there are variations but I like the standard one more.
  • henryhenry Posts: 6
    how about Austrailian accent?
    I've heard some interesting American accents recently, from the deep south. They sound very exotic to my British English ears.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,668 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am true believer of British English, rest are just modifications of it. :)
  • LienLien Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    American accent and British accent are beautiful. I prefer US because I listen to US channel everyday.
    You get attuned to particular accents when you listen to them all the time. But @Lien, try listening to as many different accents as you can. Then you'll find it easier to understand English regardless of the way they speak.

I liked the way this American reporter spoke:

http://www.globetoday.com/watch-this-if-you-were-born-in-the-50s-60s-or-70s-it-sums-up-your-childhood/
  • assiliassili Posts: 7
    I prefer the Britsh accent , it's more understable and clear for me
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    It's typical american speech, I've heard it in many american news...
    By the way @mheredge, are you british? Native british, I meant, did you born in UK:grey_question:
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I've never paid attention to complexity and simplicity of accents. But British sounds much more interesting to me.
  • LindaGLindaG Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I really prefer british. Even when seems more complicate to me, but I don´t care... love the accent :P
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm studied English general but I prefer American
  • SanneSanne Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I prefer British English.
    I've almost no problems to understand Received Pronunciation, but a lot with American English (I don't like the mumbling). At the moment I'm working to distinguish between the different accents and to understand them.
    My favourite accent is the northern English accent (I've dunn) - it sounds funny and I'm pleased to hear it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    @Sanne Not every american mumbles. There're some american actors who speak english beautifully.
  • SanneSanne Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Which one's do you mean? I'm collecting 'learning DVDs'. :-)
    Some actors I can understand very well, but with others I don't have any chance and need subtitles. Even British actors speak different in american productions. Eg Damian Lewis: I hardly understood him in Band of Brothers, I've less problems with Wolf Hall. Same thing with Keira Knightly.
    At the moment I'm practising with British films and series, but sometimes I try an American one. I know understanding English it's only a matter of practice and listening ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    I thought of Laurence Fishbourne, James Earl Jones and some actors who synchronize anime movies or pc games.
  • markovmarkov Posts: 32 ✭✭
    i prefer american and i think it's more much better
    for me it's much understandable than the british
    maybe becouse the american media is so powerfull
    than british
    or thier movies get more whatches
    but theres is no big diffrents between them