Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you know 5 Nutrients for a Sharp Mind ?

snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
You know which nutrients build strong bones and muscles. But did you know that certain compounds can help strengthen your mind, too, even warding off age-related mental decline like dementia and Alzheimer’s?

These five nutrients may keep your brain sharp and memory strong, according to a recent review of studies by the Institute of Food Technologists.

1. Cocoa flavanols: Chocolate lovers rejoice! In a recent study conducted by the Columbia University Medical Center, researchers found that cocoa flavanols — naturally occurring compounds found in cocoa — reversed age-related memory decline in older adults by improving the function of dentate gyrus, the part of the brain associated with memory.

2. Omega-3 fatty acids: Heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids may help improve the function of another important organ: your brain. A study in mice found that omega-3 fatty acid supplementation helped to better three different types of memory: object recognition, spatial memory (remembering information about one’s environment) and localizatory memory (things that can be consciously recalled, such as facts). To boost your omega-3 intake, eat more salmon, walnuts, flaxseed oil and chia seeds.

3. Citicoline: A natural substance found in the body’s cells, citocoline is a brain-tissue builder that may help regulate memory and mental function, and enhance communication between the neurons in the brain. Clinical trials have shown that as you age, citicoline supplements may protect the brain from free-radical damage and ensure it continues to function normally.

4. Choline: Choline helps the brain communicate with the rest of the body. It may also support the brain during aging by preventing changes that result in cognitive decline. Choline is available as a supplement, but to get your brainpower from foods, up your egg intake!

5. Anthocyanins: Ever wonder why blueberries are known to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties? They’re teeming with anthocyanins, flavonoids that are naturally found in the foods healthiest for humans. Adding blueberries to your diet could help increase neural signaling, or the transfer and processing of information, in your brain.

@mheredge @Zom @april @Just-Learn @christelle @Dora

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,081 mod
    Cocoa, salmon, walnuts, eggs and bluenerries are okay; @snack98 ; I quite like them.
    I eat them regularly, I must say, but my brain is still deteriorating. :o
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    lol @april How deteriorating , maybe if you don't took these nutrients you will deteriorate your brain quickly !
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,081 mod
    You're right, @snack98 and maybe I need to eat more of them. :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think any healthy food can boost of our brain's power and energy. We should take balance diet in order to remain healthy. Because, every diet has some nutritious elements that are good for our body as well as for our brain.
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    yeah! @Bubbly but some food are have more effect in our brain
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,046 mod
    Fish is supposed to be good for the brain, so I've always been taught @snack98.
    @mheredge I like fish very much but unluckily I can't find a fresh one in our area.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,613 mod
    Thanks for sharing this @snack98 :)
  • NazerkeNazerke Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I watched the documentary film about it and how to improve opportunities of mind. At the top was fish oil which contains the omega 3. Fish oil has the effect of reducing your risk for Alzheimer's disease
    Canned tuna fish is an option @Bubbly. It's not as good as fresh fish, but maybe a next best thing.
    @mheredge I recently tasted canned tuna fish but it wasn't very tasty. But, in the winter we will get fresh fish in our area that will help me to taste 3 to 4 types of fishes.
    Tinned tuna fish is not as tasty as the fresh fish @Bubbly, but you can make it taste good depending on how you use it. There is a very famous local salad, Salade Nicoise, that you might like to try. With the anchovies and olives, this produces a very typical Mediterranean style salad that has lots of flavour.

I realise I don't have any canned tuna so I am now adding this to my shopping list for when I go out later today!

Ingredients (Serves: 4 )
    200g can tuna, drained
    400g ready-washed baby new potatoes
    200g French beans
    3 eggs
    50g can anchovy fillets
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    5 tbsp olive oil
    1 cos lettuce, torn
    8 baby plum tomatoes, or baby tomatoes, halved
    12 stoned black olives

Method (Preparation:15min › Cook:12min › Ready in:27min
    Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Add the French beans for the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again.
    Boil the eggs: While the potatoes are cooking, add the eggs to a pan of boiling water and cook for 7-8 minutes, so that the yolks remain slightly soft and creamy. Drain the eggs and put them into a bowl of cold water. Peel and cut into quarters lengthways.
    Make the dressing: Drain the can of anchovy fillets. Put the anchovies, garlic, mustard, lemon juice and olive oil into a blender or food processor and purée until smooth and creamy. Spoon half of this dressing over the cooked potatoes and beans, and gently toss together.
    Assemble the salad: Separate the tuna into chunks. Put the lettuce into a salad bowl. Top with the potatoes and beans followed by the eggs and tomatoes, then scatter over the tuna and olives. Serve drizzled with the remaining dressing.

@mheredge what a lovely dish! Nutritious and healthy. I am gonna save this recipe and will definitely try in this winter. Can I replace tuna with another type of fish?
    I guess tinned salmon would work too @Bubbly, but the fish needs to have quite a strong taste in order to not get too overwhelmed by the flavours of the anchovies and olives.
  • 19801980 Posts: 8
    Many know that omega fatty acid is rich in fish. Can anyone tell any other food substance rich omega fatty acid.