Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How did you meet your husband/wife?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,737 mod
I am interested to know how you met your husband/wife/partner. After the discussion about whether you believe in true love, it made me wonder how you all found the person who you are with today.

I think that it is common to meet people through mutual friends, as that can be a great way to get to know new people that you wouldn't otherwise have been able to find.

What about you? How did you meet your partner? I'm looking forward to hearing some great stories now!

Comments

• mcc15mcc15 Posts: 79 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands I'm weather engaged or married, but I met my boyfriend through friends four years ago. He is also a student. I think, a university is more than a place for education. It's a dating platform :) and an easy way to meet a lot of different people in a short period of time! Because of that the likelihood and the potential is high to find a partner, who could be your husband/wife one day, in a young age as a student.

I can imagine it's different to find a partner when you work. It doesn't flow naturally anymore as it does at school. I'm not sure if it's more difficult when you work. I assume you just have to put more effort in the hole dating process. What do you think?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    They say that the workplace is in fact the place where most couples meet @mcc15, though this might depend on the country. But I do remember a whole rash of marriages following graduation when I was at university.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,737 mod
    I think that college and the workplace must be two of the most popular places to meet partners, because you already know that you have something in common just because you're both there at the same time. I always find it interesting to see how people met.
    My parents met while on holiday. Both were chaparoned in the sense that my mother was with her parents and my father was with his brother when they first met.
    That sounds lovely @mheredge that they were on holiday when they met for the first time. I think it is quite common for couples to meet when they are away from home, but it is good that their relationship passed the test of time and stayed strong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    i meet my husband in college
  • hareeshahareesha Posts: 6
    Well, my hubby is my first cousin, but before marriage, we don't have understanding still not that much, but with the passage of time it could be.
    It is interesting that you are married to somebody who you have known for a long time. I think it is a wonderful thing, as it just shows how love can grow even in places where you might not expect it to.
  • IwonaIwona Posts: 20 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands, I do not have a husband, but I have a fiancé. I met my fiancé in the club. One of my best friend went abroad for a few months. For that reason we organised a party for her and went to the club. I met my fiancé there. We started to dance together and exchanged other phone numbers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    I met my wife during the Venice Marathon 15 years ago. It happened on bus from Venezia to Mestre where is started the marathon. She followed her friend that ran her first marathon, two year later would be born our first son. I will never forget that moment.
    I think it is quite common to meet a partner in a club @Iwona or at least it seems as though lots of people do, anyway. It is because people in clubs are having a great time, people are in high spirits, and it is the perfect place to meet somebody to fall in love with.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    edited April 2016
    Hopefully to meet that right girl for me someday :blush:
    I am sure that you will meet the perfect girl soon @kindgnice I wish you the best of luck with it!
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    edited April 2016
    Wow! Thanks for the best wishes @GemmaRowlands. I hope we find that perfect person for us. ;)
  • sammanisammani Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    Still alone.I don`t know when or where he will meet me.May be he is looking for me where I am.After meeting him,sure I will post here.
    How do most people meet @sammani? In Nepal parents still arrange the major of marriages for their children.
    sammani said:

Still alone.I don`t know when or where he will meet me.May be he is looking for me where I am.After meeting him,sure I will post here.

I am alone too, but I have lots of good friends. Just because you don't have a romantic partner, it doesn't have to mean that you are alone.
    @mheredge,My country too some times. but I really don`t like it.I still have no idea about meeting of people.I think It goes with fate.
    @GemmaRowlands,I agree you.
    Some people go out a lot to places where they are more likely to meet people they haven't met before @sammani, but as you say, I think it has a lot to do with chance. They say that a high proportion of people meet at work.
    mheredge said:

They say that a high proportion of people meet at work.

I believe that this is indeed the case. So I am unsure about how I will meet someone, because I am self employed and work from home on my own!
    Join a club, go out with friends, maybe join a dating agency @GemmaRowlands. But don't stay hidden away at home!
    mheredge said:

Join a club, go out with friends, maybe join a dating agency @GemmaRowlands. But don't stay hidden away at home!

I am always a little bit scared of joining a dating agency, as I am shy, and I know I wouldn't ever be brave enough to meet up with somebody.
    In a way it's an easier way to meet people if you're a bit shy @GemmaRowlands, as the guys will usually be aware of this and it saves you the embarrassment of having to go out of your way to meet someone.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I use future assumption?
    mheredge said:

In a way it's an easier way to meet people if you're a bit shy @GemmaRowlands, as the guys will usually be aware of this and it saves you the embarrassment of having to go out of your way to meet someone.

Yes, maybe. I think I am quite happy to be on my own at the moment though, as I am enjoying spending time with my family and friends.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I met my wife since i joined the University, We loved 07 years each other before marriage. We have 02 kids now. I believe in true love.

I met my wife since i joined the University, We loved 07 years each other before marriage. We have 02 kids now. I believe in true love.

I think a lot of people meet partners at university, and it is wonderful that you have been together for a long time.
  • KitoKito Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I met my second wife at my office because I was her cardiologyst. Have been passed 26 years since then
  • BrazilPalBrazilPal Posts: 7
    I met my wife (first and only, I hope) at church years ago. At first nothing sparked mutual interest at each other, but little by little our friendship grew into something more serious, and the rest is history.