Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you go to the gym?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,527 mod
I enjoy exercise, and I am thinking about joining the gym. I would use it to run on the treadmill and to use the weights, as I am trying to build my muscle at the moment.

What about you? Do you go to the gym? What is your favourite activity when you go?

Comments

• mcc15mcc15 Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I like going to the gym because it's the perfect complement for all my other sports activities.
    I use machines I don't have at home such as rowing machines or assisted pull-up machines. But I'm honest, I usually do the exact same exercises I do at home or I could do without any machines. Exercising in the gym is just a different feeling and it motivates in a different way.

Do you plan to join the gym with a friend or on your own?
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started going to gym 2 weeks ago.It is really cool.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    I will be going with a friend @mcc15 but I don't know whether we will be able to chat because I am hoping that I will be able to listen to my music, as I find that it can motivate me to work a lot harder when I am exercising.
  • mcc15mcc15 Posts: 79 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands My gym partner was always a little bit more motivated than I was :) She really pushed me and I didn't need my music at all. I hope, your partner is similar to mine!
    Yes I think it is easier when you have a gym partner who can motivate you to do well, because this means that you're much more likely to push yourself, too. My friend always pushes me hard - I did a lot of exercise this morning thanks to her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Iam going to gym 3 days for one weeks and do calisthenic Waorkout.. You must try that
    It sounds as though you're very dedicated to your gym routine @adewinata you should be proud of yourself. I know that I need to exercise a lot more and I think that joining the gym is something that will help me with that.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could go as well but no gym facilities for ladies in my area. :(
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,502 mod
    Gyms are so boring @Bubbly. I will be looking for a yoga class to join later today. That's not the same.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge yoga is also my favourite because I have practice it many times and it is really really effective.
    Why do you think gyms are boring @mheredge ? I have always enjoyed that type of exercise in the past, as you can put on some good music and have a really good time.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not visit gym because I'm medium weight
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    I have been working out for 4 months , not daily but 5 times per week , I have lost 8 kg , its fantastic because it makes me feel better ! I am no fat but I had a beerbelly haha !
    Wow that's excellent well done @JesusSosa it sounds as though you have been working very hard indeed to lose that weight.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,522 mod
    edited January 2016
    I just wish gyms weren't so boring.

Has anyone seen Black Mirror on TV? Series 1, episode 2, will put you off going to the gym for life. LOL
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    No so much , but I have been working ! haha
    @Lynne I wish the same , for that I do exercises at home when I want to do it.
    I don't think it has to be boring @Lynne you could listen to some music, or some people even take their tablet to watch a film while they're exercising. There are certainly ways that you can liven it up a little bit!
  • SousaSousa Posts: 203 ✭✭
    I love to play sports like football, basketball, pádel (a popular racket sport here in Spain), all team sports. I hate the gym because is so boring. I need to run and try to catch a ball. :D
  • EzîzaEzîza Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
    I worked in the gym and I used to spend quality time with my students we were doing lots of exercises and sometimes we dance and play and have fun a lot , By the way my students were all women and girls :smile:
    I think it's great that there are classes for just women @Ezîza as it means that they can be much more comfortable with the exercises that they're doing.
  • EzîzaEzîza Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
    yes @GemmaRowlands it were very comfortable for them because there are some women couldn't' wear the sport suit or do the exercise if there are men also because most of the women wearing hijab
    @GemmaRowlands and @Ezîza : that is discrimination! ;) I want to participate in those classes.
    Sorry @GemmaRowlands, you can't convince me that gyms aren't boring. Music or no music. But yoga is much more interesting and having a good teacher who explains well means that it never gets boring.
    Okay I suppose everyone is different @mheredge but that's what motivates me, so I have to do what works for me!
    I've been hitting the yoga studios a lot recently @GemmaRowlands. I suppose these are a sort of gym.
    There are several different kinds of yoga. Is that right @mheredge?
    Many kinds @Sousa. Though I think they all have many similarities. I prefer Hatha and Iyengar, which are fairly similar and focus more on stretching.
    edited February 2016
    There are other kinds that focus on relaxation and meditation, right? Maybe some day I will try some of these kinds of yoga,
    Yes there are many ways to focus and relax @Sousa but yoga is one of the most popular classes to take for this purpose at the moment.
    Meditation tends to be quite motionless @Sousa, though in yoga, there are times when you stay still and concentrate on breathing, which I suppose almost counts as meditation. In some Bubbhist centres, they teach both, side by side.