Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How much do you spend on makeup?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,727 mod
I don't wear a lot of makeup, and I think that I only spend around £5 per month on products, maybe not even that much. But some of my friends spend a lot of money on the makeup that they wear, and it made me wonder what the average was.

How much money do you spend on your makeup? Do you think that you spend too much on it, or do you feel that you don't spend as much as your friends do?

Comments

• snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    0 min !
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    Does face cream count @GemmaRowlands? I rarely wear make up nowadays but I try to get a good moisteriser, especially when I'm in Nice where I find my skin gets quite dry.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    Yes I suppose face cream does count, because you wear it to make your skin look better just like makeup. I didn't think of face cream though, I do spend quite a lot of money on that, because I have to, as my skin looks very bad when it is dry.
  • I don't like make up -_-
    Why don't you like it @yassine ? I suppose if you're lucky enough to have a good complexion that doesn't need makeup then that's great for you, but people like me do need a little bit because I have quite bad skin, which is unfortunate really.
    I'm with you @yassine. I've never liked it.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,650 mod
    edited October 2015
    I like colours and to stroll alonge counters and to discover new creations makes me happy. They often have to create and produce new containers for new seasonal colours. I think the people who have to do this must be standing under stress and pressure, because they change it so often.
    More and more companies produce cheap or inexpensive make up products. The big ones like as, Chanel, Dior and so on have to share the big cake.
    Post edited by Hermine on
    I also like walking along the counters in beauty stores @Hermine because we often don't know what we're looking for until we see it, and that's a great way to help us figure out our needs. I have only recently updated my makeup collection to include lots of new things, which I think was a great thing to do, as I enjoyed choosing new items.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,650 mod
    @GemmaRowlands, I have a few prime products which I won´t miss. One of them is my beloved eyebrow pencil. This is the only item I can handle with and can draw a decent shape on my brows
    A good concealer which I like to mix in my face cream and put it under the eyes and on my nose and some spots I want to conceal.
    I have a nice dark plumb colour pencil, with it I can get a perfect line onto my lids and it spares me using mascara.

And yes I have a problem to put on make up, because I need glasses and although I use my magnification mirror is it not an easy thing to get a perfect result.
    I think a lot of people have a core set of products that they tend to stay loyal to @Hermine and it sounds as though you're one of those people! It is good that you know what you suit, and what you like.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    After having a sever problem of acne, I avoid any type of make up. I only use eye liner and lipstick. I also use moisturising lotion because my skin is dry so I need to keep it soft especially in winter.

I don't spend a penny on it because my sister sends me these things from Dubai. :)
    Moisturiser is the only thing I use, and occasionally lip balm if my lips get dry.
    I struggle with acne too @Bubbly but the problem is that I like to cover it up using makeup as my skin looks too bad without it, so I suppose I am in a vicious circle. If I stopped using make-up for a few months it might look better.
    @GemmaRowlands in stead of makeup you should go for the herbal treatment. After acne issue, I stopped using makeup regularly. I use makeup occasionally and once in a week do massage with lemon, cucumber, and tomato juice.
    Thank you for the advice @Bubbly I will try what you suggest. I am 25 now so I thought acne would have stopped, yet I still get it regularly, and it is very annoying for me!
    @GemmaRowlands It is not related to age but hormones. :)
    I suppose you're right, but I wish there was a way that I could get rid of it.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    I like makeup and want to know new things about it.I think makeup doesn't mean you buy everything and use but according to your age , skin, and style you have to keep up with things.Now a days very useful product are available in the market.If you are looking good,I am sure you are feeling good.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5
    I don't wear a lot of make up only a cream for sun protection,I also use face powder,sometimes I use nail varnish when I go outside with my friends.
    mouna said:

I don't wear a lot of make up only a cream for sun protection,I also use face powder,sometimes I use nail varnish when I go outside with my friends.

I expect that your skin looks nice and fresh if you don't wear a lot of makeup. I think a lot of people who wear a lot suffer from damaged skin later in life, which is unfortunate.
    Do you wear lipstick? I hate the stuff and nowadays avoid it as much as I can. I don't really get why females are expected to paint their faces, yet men can get away with it.
    mheredge said:

Do you wear lipstick? I hate the stuff and nowadays avoid it as much as I can. I don't really get why females are expected to paint their faces, yet men can get away with it.

No. I occasionally wear lip gloss if I'm going out, but I have never felt I suited lipstick! I wear lip balm all the time as my lips get dry, so I do have a bit of a glossy look.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    How popular is shellac manicure in your place?
    Do many people use nail stencils?

The first one is difficult to make at home, I think. The price here is about £22.
  • arzulitaarzulita Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    I like make up but I don't spend to much money on make up! I buy only what I need and because I don't wear make up everyday the products don't over quickly.

How popular is shellac manicure in your place?

Do many people use nail stencils?

The first one is difficult to make at home, I think. The price here is about £22.

Shellac went through a really popular stage here. It is still available in most beauty salons, but it's not obsessed about as it might have been a couple of years ago. I have had it once, and I will admit I loved it. It lasted for weeks!
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    I wear lip balm also,because my lips get dry very quickly.I put it in my handbag.
    mouna said:

I wear lip balm also,because my lips get dry very quickly.I put it in my handbag.

That is a useful thing to keep in your bag. I play a brass instrument so it is important for me to keep my lips in the best possible condition at all times, as it affects my playing otherwise.
    I think it must cost a fortune to have a lot of makeup in the UK nowadays. I was shocked at how much fairly ordinary lipstick in Boots the Chemist cost. Give me good old lip balm any day.
    mheredge said:

I think it must cost a fortune to have a lot of makeup in the UK nowadays. I was shocked at how much fairly ordinary lipstick in Boots the Chemist cost. Give me good old lip balm any day.

Yes, it can be quite expensive. But I have learned that brands are often no better than cheaper versions - so I will very rarely buy anything that has a label these days, if I buy anything at all!
  • jhoy16jhoy16 Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I only wear red matte lipstick. And I'm ready to go