Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
No shadow
No stars
No moon
No cars
November only believes
In a pile of dead leaves
And a moon
That's the color of bone.

No prayers for November
To linger longer
To remember.

November has tied me
To an old dead tree
Get word to April
To rescue me.

November's cold chain
Made of wet boots and rain
And shiny black ravens
On chimney smoke lanes
November seems odd
An act of God
November.

Adapted from Tom Waits - November

November comes
And November goes,
With the last red berries
And the first white snows.

With night coming early,
And dawn coming late,
And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate.

The fires burn
And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring.

November by Elizabeth Coatsworth
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

If you were to write a book, what would it be about?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,727 mod
Many people wish that they could write books, however they don't then think about what their books would be about. If you could write a book, and could choose anything that you like to write about, what would it be?

I would like to be able to write in the science fiction niche, because I feel as though it is a very interesting genre. However I am not sure that I would be able to keep up with the story, as it would be quite intricate.

Comments

• linc68linc68 Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    This always amazes me, how writers can keep layers after layers of plot organized. I recently read "Leaving the World" by Douglas Kennedy, which was not particularly a great read, but still impressive for its intricate and (too) long plot. It looked like several books folded in one!

My own book could be a feminist one, about leading several lives at once as many modern women do. Keeping the house clean and tidy as was the custom not so long ago, plus maintaining a top-model physical form, plus achieving a competitive career, plus educating several children, plus entertaining friends and families at parties, plus getting involved in environmental (or something nice) organizations, plus ... writing a book ;)
    What about yours?
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    when you write it , I will be the first who buy one for my wife @linc68 . because majority of women when she get married, she forget to take care about her and take growing up the children as reason for that ! your book will be as a summary of the way to live and give each things the which need .
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    For me if I have chance to write a book, It will be about my career ! how to be good manager, how to master a team and keep it motivate, and share my experience in my field .
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    This is exactly what I mean @linc68 with the plot. Because I know that I would get something wrong, or I would forget something that I had said early. This is why books have to go through so many rounds of editing before they are ready to be published, to make sure that there are no mistakes in there. I have worked as an editor before and it is scarily difficult to make sure that all of the errors are ironed out of the book.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,080 mod
    I'm too lazy. I have friends badgering me write about my travels and Nepal but I'm digging my heels in, as this sounds like hard work!
    Yes, it definitely takes a lot of effort to write a book @mheredge and there is no way that you will be able to do it if you don't have the staying power and the energy for it. I have started a few books in the past but then I kind of lose interest in them and never manage to make it to the end, which is a shame.
  • ElvinElvin Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    I think it would be recommendations for my son, something like Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
    I write articles, but these can be polished off in an hour or two @GemmaRowlands. This is about as long as my span of attention lasts for this sort of thing.
    Yes, I write articles too. I'm a freelance writer and spend a lot of time writing articles for clients. But, as you say, that doesn't take an awful long time to do, which means that you still have quite a lot of free time afterwards, and it doesn't take too much of your attention!
    If you would write that book ajout travelling and Nepal, I would eagerly read it @mheredge !
    I'm not sure how long you might have to wait @linc68, but thanks for the encouragement.
    I could also wrire a book about the house we are buying. Unihabited for almost 2 years, whole cupboards in the garden with piles of rubbish everywhere (we had to search grass for glass), a jungle all around, full toolboxes left open alongside all kinds of tools on shelves, some plugged, gigantic spiderwebs, 2 cildren bikes, all material from a hairdresser left in the garage, no end of bags and juckets of rubbish and dust...
    Several friends said they would have completely missed the big bay windows, the wooden floors, the big 7 bedrooms, the quietness of the place, the marble staircase, the mantelpiece, the architecture...
    It is a treasure hunt every day. Sometimes we find big large mirrors, sometimes kitchen knives, or books, stools, rows of shelges. Once we cleared the garage we discovered a window, all new, perfectly in place!
    Quite an adventure :)
    Wow @linc68. You must have your work cut out to clear out the rubbish.
    Wow that sounds like an amazing project for you @linc68 but also a very demanding and properly tiring one, too! Your house will look amazing when it is completed, and I am sure that you will have many happy years of living in it with your family.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to write a book about society and trying to solve problems . I know the big problem in all countries about divorce I'm trying to solve this problem and speard the peace all the world , the divorce create bad children and criminal that's so bad.
    the other problem about learning a lot of people need to learning but the poor and working in the childhood so dangerous.
    @gomaa your book sounds really interesting. Will you keep us updated here if you decide to write it? It sounds as though you have some great ideas, and I agree that divorce can bring many problems across the world in many countries, so writing a book about it would be a great idea.
    @GemmaRowlands thank you for interesting this problem so dangerous . The solution mean the relationship between associated organisations and all people to know everyone about problems in marriage and a void to make any problems .
    Yes I think that if people know about the potential problems that they may face in a marriage, they might be able to avoid some of them before they even become issues in the first place. So if you were to write your book, it would certainly be a good and worthy thing to write about.
    The impression that I get is that many people don't seem to take the marriage vows seriously enough as they seem to think divorce is an easy solution if things don't work out @gomaa.
    @mheredge this problem need much time everyone can solve problem just trust his self and trying a void problem . I know some problem reason for the different between couple
    I agree with your point about divorce @mheredge and I think that a lot of people go into marriage with that exact thought - that it doesn't matter if it doesn't work out because it is easy to get a divorce. So yes, people do need to be educated about the issues surrounding it.
  • KirisjeKirisje Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I'd prefer to draw/write ( I'm not sure how to call it) a comic, but if it must be a book, it would be probably post-apocalyptic fiction, about the world in chaos, abondoned by majority of people, with a shortfall of healthy youths, unnecessary wars, and ruled by our the worst traits, envy, violence or hatred , which have reached human shapes and have lived among people. Though it could sound pretty hopeless , there is a chance for mankind, because, even if the faith has fallen into a deep slumber, she has never died .

But, I'm not an author and I could never have enough time to achive that ;p
  • KirisjeKirisje Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Of course, I meant "abandoned", my fault.
    Perhaps you could write a short story but illustrate it as well @Kirisje as that would mean that you could use all of your skills to make something that you could be proud of. I know what you mean about not having time to write, though, as it can certainly be very tricky to write a book at times.
  • shaic87shaic87 Posts: 1
    hello everybody,
    if i will write a book it would be about relationship between a couple, boy and girl, since they met until the last day they were together.
    this book would probably describe different scenes from their life like love, marriage, debates etc... .
    the scenes would be described in detail in order to attract the reader and to bring him into a situation that he will think twice to pause the reading.
    You idea for a book sounds lovely @shaic87 and it is certainly something that I would consider buying and reading myself. It would be interesting to hear everything about a couple from when they first got together, and I imagine that I would really enjoy a book like that.
    @Kirisje maybe you could try to write a comic version of "The Road" by Mc Carty.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my year 2016 resolution is to get my story book published in this year. :) I don't know whether I could find a good publisher or not but this is my plan so far.
    Getting a book published is a great thing to achieve, so I hope you manage to do it! Will you be writing it in English?