Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you think about public smoking?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 4,507 mod
If you smoke cigarettes, would you ever smoke them in a public place, or would you wait until there was nobody around? Personally, I feel that smokers should be able to smoke outside but not inside, as the smoke can be bad for the health of all the people around them.

It would be great to hear what you think about it, particularly if there are any differences between smokers and non smokers.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,283 mod
    I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for smokers and I like ghat in some places, not only is it forbidden to smoke inside, but outside too. However I do think in general nowadays, most smokers seem to be becoming a bit more sensitive to other people's dislike of sharing space with smokers.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,507 mod
    I do think that you're right about people becoming more sensitive to non-smokers' needs @mheredge as it seems like you don't see as many people smoking in front of others anymore. I hope that this is a trend that will continue, as I would very much like to see it in the future.
  • mgabcmgabc Posts: 2
    I think smoking inside and outside is selfishness because the smokers just think of their feeling/need to smoke, without consideration of other people' s health situation.
    Yes I do agree with you to some extent here @mgabc. I don't think that people should be smoking around other people, because there is always the risk that it could damage their health. If people smoke too close to me, I always politely ask them to move away, or to wait when they are back in their own home again.
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Hate it, because it smells bad!((
    Yes it does smell bad @Glorian you're quite right. I also don't like how it smells when people smoke in their homes, because all of their clothes always smell like smoke. This is why I will never allow anybody to smoke in my home at all.
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep @GemmaRowlands, I agree with you completly! Yesterday, I have a meet with my friend and we set in my kitchen, not bad spent time and so on... And she asking me - "Glorian, could I smoke here? Pleaaaase!" - And I said her - "Noway! You should go outside!!!", and she obediently went to the staircase.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate it!!
    I think it is enough!
  • mcc15mcc15 Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I agree with all of you! It's disgusting when your clothes, hair, everything smells after an evening in a restaurant or bar. In Germany, we have smoking areas in a few bars which means it's a separate closed room. Although there are still lots of bars which allow smoking because of their business. The owners complain that it affects their business in a negative way when customers aren't allowed to smoke in a bar. So, it's kind of accepted in some bars.

Last week, I saw a mum with a baby carriage and she smoked. In this situations, I can't help it, but I judged the mother immediately.
    Do you judge smokers even if you don't know the person?
    In the UK we used to have smoking rooms too, but now there is a ban on smoking in indoor public places, so people have to stand outside in the open air if they want to smoke. I think it's a good move, and hopefully it should dissuade people from wanting to smoke at all.
    I'm sure they will experience the negative side effects of smoking pretty soon. Or more precisely they will feel the cold temperatures when they have to stand outside just for a cigarette :)
    Yes I was hoping that fewer people would wish to actually smoke when they realised just how cold they would have to be to have their cigarette. It may seem like a preferable option to stay indoors rather than worrying about going outside to have a smoke.
  • Dr.LuDr.Lu Posts: 8
    In golden age you can smoke even in aeroplane, can't believe isn't it? BTW Since 2006 I quit.
    I was astounded to find trains in Bosnia seemed to have more smokers' compartments than non-smoking. I didn't even think smokers' carriages still existed anywhere. They don't seem to even in China these days, where I think a lot of people still smoke and cigarettes are cheap.
    I wasn't aware that you could on trains anywhere in the world now, so it is certainly interesting that you're able to do so in Bosnia. Smoking on trains hasn't been possible in my country for a number of years, and I can't see a time that ideas will ever change about this, to be honest with you.
  • mamymamy Posts: 3
    I don't like smoking and smokers. they must do that in a place where no one else is present. sorry for my bad english :)
    12 or 13 years ago, there were smoking areas in German trains...I'm glad they changed that!
  • FoieglanFoieglan Posts: 57 ✭✭
    @mamy If your English was good, you wouldn't be here, right? Don't apologize for it, because you are learning.
  • FoieglanFoieglan Posts: 57 ✭✭
    I do understand why people are smoking, but I can't even imagine that I will ever try a cigarette. When you are about 14 or 15 years and some (or all) of your friends are smoking, you will not be able to say no. I had the luck none of my friends smoked at such a young age. Now, inevitably, there are smokers in my surrounding. I say to them to stop, but they won't. The even weirder thing is that the smokers themself WANT to stop, but they don't stop. Stupid addictions...
    I find it so strange seeing people smoking e-cigarettes. It almost looks furtive.
    I agree about the e-cigs @mheredge it does look a little odd that people are smoking them. However, I think that it is a good thing that they are available, because while it might not be completely healthy, it is certainly an improvement and a step in the right direction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I agree
  • IwonaIwona Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I hate smoking. It is very bad for human health. Smoking should be forbidden in pubic places.
    In past a lot members of my family used to smoke but after my grandmother's death due to the cancer many of them gave up smoking. They realised how smoking could be dangerous for health.
    In Poland it is not allowed to smoke in public places such as e.g. restaurants or trains but people still smoke in such places as bus stops or night clubs. I really feel sorry for them because I know that it is very hard to give up smoking. Anyway I think it is worth to make every effort to give up smoking. We have only one life and one health. It is not good to loose health due to smoking.
    I don't know what is the situation in other countries but cigarettes are very expensive in Poland so this is the second reason why it is good to give up smoking.
    Cigarettes are very cheap in Nepal and sadly @Iwona, young people tend to think it's cool to smoke. However it is such a poor country that most people don't smoke outside the cities, but lung cancer is still a problem from cooking on open fires.

I'm surprised at how many doctors I've met who smoke. You'd think they'd know better!
    I have never understood why people think it is cool to smoke. Okay, so before we knew and understood the risks it may have been different, but these days we all know what smoking does to us, and yet still people don't seem to be able to stop.
  • IwonaIwona Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I realize that smoking can be a main entertainment for some kind of people. It is very sad. People may feel better after smoking. Cigarettes have the same influence on human brain what drugs but we can't be naive. Cigarettes cause so many diseases. When people are young and strong, they don't think about the consequences of bad habit. Human life is so short and fragile and every cigarette shortens life for 5 minutes.
  • WhisktsWhiskts Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I'm not smoker. I don't like when someone smokes near to me. So, as you said - inside no, outside yes.
    I have a friend who is a smoker, and he lit a cigarette when he was in my car a few days ago. I told him to put it out, which he did, but by the time I had noticed, the fumes were already in my car. I don't have windows at the back so the fumes came to the front where I was sitting. I thought that was particularly selfish, to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    If someone want to smoke have to do it outside and however not inside to the public place.
    I agree that people should smoke outside. I can remember a time in my country where you were allowed to smoke inside, and when I think back, it is horrifying to think about just how much smoke other people must have breathed in.