Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Hey you! Come and have some fun. Let's talk about punctuation!

GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Let's Practise and Learn
Well... Greetings everyone! First thank's a lot @bubbli (What's up dude?!) for supporting me about this topic!))
How i'm just said i'm from Russia and here we have a lot of expressions in all sorts of themes, that very hard to understand without commas and dots! Here's one of them in russian: "Казнить нельзя помиловать!" that with comma in one place means one thing but with comma in other place means another! Here are examples still in russian (watch for commas): 1) "Казнить нельзя, помиловать!" means "Execute not, pardon!", in second 2) "Казнить, нельзя помиловать!" means "Penalty, can not be pardoned!". So now we know how a one little comma can change everything and save someones live! Will be appreciate for comments, thank you for attention!
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    That is what is deducted from published topics by @bubbli "Let's eat grandsma!"! And understanding sentence depends on the location of the comma! Your options guys!
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,666 mod
    @Glorian,

For such a little bit of ink, the comma can indeed completely change the meaning of a sentence, it also changes the way you read a sentence.

We have a few more examples of how funny a misplaced comma can be:-

http://www.learnenglish.de/punctuationpage.html
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite comprehensive stuff in the link mentioned above. It is not very easy to learn punctuation without practicing it and for that you will have to write a lot. Because simply reading about it can't improve it.
    You can learn the basic rules, but the trickier points are difficult (for native speakers too). It's best to get some feedback.
    edited September 2015
    @Lynne, i'll do my best to understand the basics. Thank you so much!))
    Hi @Lynne , how can add video here, or i need more star for doing this?
    New stars I'm afraid, but you can place the link without any http, then people can cut and paste it.
    @Lynne i got it.)))
    Here is the link, where all of you can see vid about punctuation rules. Enjoy.))
    @Lynne, @bubbli, @nil, @christelle, @zeynab, @KendyDang...
    www.engvid.com/writing-skills-commas-conjunctions/
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link very useful
    @snack98 You're welcome!)))
    edited October 2015
    Here is another one about hyphens, and don't forget to look below, there is a quiz that i flunked.(((
    www.engvid.com/learn-english-punctuation-hyphens-compound-adjectives/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    "I like cooking my family and my pet."
    Use commas. Don't be a psycho. :)
    @nil yes, it is!XD
  • EugeneEugene Posts: 21
    What interesting is that in different languages different rules about commas. In Russian, for instance, no comma before AND (if it's 1 time in the sentence) Like - Yesterday I ate ice cream and pancake. But if it's few times in sentence, then you should put comma. Like - Yesterday I ate ice cream, and pancake, and bagel. In English as I understood another rules.
    Hi @Eugene! I'll correct you a little bit, you're made a mistake at the last sentence. When i was at school, I learned this lesson well, thak's for my teacher of russian language.)) So, at the last sentence, if we stick to the rules of punctuation of the Russian language, we need to put the comma before second "AND" instead both cases. It will look like this: "Yesterday I ate ice cream and pancake, and bagel.". Thak you for examples, keep practice!))
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,124 mod
    Ah @Glorian. The comma and 'and' depends on British/American English, but also, so I was once told, scientific and non - scientific use.

When I write in America English, when I'm listing things, I put a comma before the and that states the last item.

I bought apples, pears, and bananas.

In British English this would read: I bought apples, pears and bananas.

Both are correct.

I was informed on good authority, that in scientific writing, this British English rule is often broken however.
    I agree @mheredge! In my opinion the second one is more correct than first one, but i'm not a scientist and i could be wrong. And i think it does no matter in which way we use (scientific or non-scientific), i think we need speak and write more correctly and beautifully.)))
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,124 mod
    I only ever use a comma before and when I'm having to write American English @Glorian.
    Your right @mheredge!)
    Punctuation usually punch me in the mind when there is a long sentence and I forget where to use comma. ;)
    You know, it's very hard to understand when a sentence is too big and without any punctuation. That's what i hate read a big sentences @bubbli. It's confuse me and I have not enough nerves... And when all well-written and reading pleasure!
    @Glorian usually punctuation makes the long sentences smart and comprehensive.
    Yep @Bubbly! Maybe i need read some books in english, this helps me to write more smart and comprehensive.)))
    @Glorian Exactly. Read and write if you want to practice punctuation.
    @Bubbly i got it.
  • JoshuaJinJoshuaJin Posts: 52 ✭✭
    what literary books are good for english learners to read ??
    just recommend some river novels@Bubbly
    sorry for forget that word "please"
    I recommed you a "Vinnie Pooh and the others", it's simple to read for new-learners @JoshuaJin.))
This discussion has been closed.