Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How important is money to you?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,337 mod
Most people will say that life isn't about money, however the problem is that we need money to survive, and without it we wouldn't be able to get everything that we need. At the moment, I am saving to buy a home, and for this reason money is very important to me indeed.

I enjoy earning money, and like saving up in my bank account.

How important is money to you in your life?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,105 mod
    Money is a means to an end but I think most people are too obsessed by it.
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands, I'll be lying if I said money is not important for me, but as you said you need money to buy a house which is a haven to be secure in this life. So at the end it's not money.
    But some people look for money and never say enough, they are materialistic, they could do any bad thing to get more, and here is the difference. They cannot be happy if they don't have the same fancy car X has, keep looking for what others have and never think about what those others lack.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,337 mod
    I agree with you @Just-Learn I think it is important to get the things that you want in life. It is a shame that it is so important, because more wars are started about money (and religion) than anything else, so if we could try and separate the thought of money from what is really important - what we buy with our money - then the world would be a much nicer place!
  • mcc15mcc15 Posts: 79 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands Means of payment of all kinds are important. Just as it has always been. We don't pay with shells anymore :) but I'm sure history can tell us tons of stories of bloody wars which were started because of money, power and to conquer territories. It's always the same. Our modern world isn't that different and worse ;)

But I agree with you that we should aware of how we spend our money. We have to keep in mind that what and where we buy products can make a difference somewhere else.

Have you ever heard about the Princeton University study? According to that study, the perfect salary for happiness is $75,000 per year. Everything above that doesn't increase satisfaction.
    I don't know! I have never had that much money. But as a student I can tell, money is important for me because I need it to feel secure!!!! I always have to make sure I have still some money left at the end of the month.

I think the more money you earn the more important it gets because of more opportunities to spend the money!
  • RafiaremaRafiarema Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    It is really an interesting question. Indeed money is important. but to answer this question I also have to compare money to other important things such as family, happiness, health, love and so on.
    Sometime we just forget other important things to get just one important thing which is money. We are busy with making money and forget the others.
    So For me, Money is important but I do not obsess with money.
    I think it is important to be able to get everything into perspective. I mea yes, sure, we need money. But only enough money to survive. Everything else is unnecessary, or a bonus, depending on which way you want to look at it.
    Interestingly when I've asked friends how much they feel they need to live comfortably in the UK and France, excluding rent, they came up with £400-500 and €400-500 per month respectively (this doesn't include running a car either). Of course if you take accommodation into account, this would make a big difference.
    Yes, I think that does sound about right, although it would very much depend on the part of the country where you live, and how "comfortable" you would like to be. That amount would be good if you didn't have to pay for rent or anything like that.
    The problem is that rent or paying a mortgage can be so expensive. I think this cost varies most depending on where you want to live.
    Yes it is expensive to pay rent or a mortgage, but most of us have to do it, as we obviously need somewhere that we can live. But as long as you make sure that you budget your wages properly, you should find that you are able to get through it and make it work for you.
  • I Can say about money is:

Money is everything.
    Without money you can not buy clothes,food and many more.
    Earning money is very difficult.
    If you want to earn money so for this first you need to spend money on education.
    Why there are poor people?
    Just because they dont have sufficient money to spend on children's education.

If our goverment do the needful for the same like free education in rural areas than it would be easy for poor people to earn money like middle or rich class guys have.
  • Who all are agree with this that government need to take action for free education in rural areas so that they also get equal opportunity just like rich class people?
  • It seems no one is active in this group :neutral:
    I don't agree that money is everything @monikabisht. It's useful but shouldn't dominate our lives. There's more to life than just material things, isn't there?
  • @mheredge money is everything in terms of when you want food,cloth,house,education.
    Without money it is impossible to survive here.
    Can you survive without money :)
    It's funny that you should say that @monikabisht because I have recently watched a documentary about a group of people who live without money, and it actually looks as though it is possible. They live in the woods and hunt for food and gather fruit, and use sticks for a fire. They have clothes donated to them. So although it isn't ideal at all, I do think that you can live without money in extreme circumstances.
  • ilissabatilissabat Posts: 20 ✭✭
    money is important to have a decent life and survive
    but stil not everything in life
    some people do live for money,they just think about money ,everythngs isabout is mesured by money
    but that s not true
    good valus we have that most important then come money if you have a lot then it bonus
    you can be happy and think to make other poeple happy too never forgeit it
    I think that making other people happy is much more important than money, you're right. Of course, we need enough money to survive, but there are always those people who just want more than they've got all the time, and this is something that they should stop, because if you live like that, you're never going to be happy at all.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    A lot!,but it is not everything.Money is important because you can do anything you want with it.You can make people happy by giving them a gift that you bought with money or make yourself happy by doing things that you like and for doing them you have to pay an amount of money.
    The only thing that we should be careful about is making money to make our life and don't do it as a job.Money is not an aim!
    Yes I like the fact that I am able to make people happy with things that I bought with my money. That is certainly a good thing. I also like to gift money to people, because this then gives them the ability to do something that they wouldn't otherwise be able to do.
  • mcc15mcc15 Posts: 79 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands I also watched a documentary about a person who lives in the woods somewhere in Germany. This guy tried to explain how he lives with no money at all. BUT he also mentioned that he gets clothes, every second week a cell phone to make calls, ... he still has to satisfy needs and someone else spends money for this. It seemed like money is indirectly an important factor which makes it easier for him to survive. He might doesn't have money in his pocket, but he doesn't live with no money either!
    Yes there was ways and means for people to almost "cheat" their own "no money" rules in the documentary I watched, too, so I suppose living without money isn't entirely true at all. But we can certainly lower the amount that we rely on money, I think.
  • To me, money is important. Money might not buy me all the happiness but it will certainly help me come out of the misery me and my family are in.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like money because a lot problem with friends and between the people reason for money.
    The ware in all countries aim at to get money.
    The money same weapon you use it to help people and other side you can destroy
    Yes I think that money does cause a lot of problems, and it is a shame because it is something that we need, yet it just seems to cause a lot of issues at the same time. I don't think money should ever be used as a weapon; I think it should be used only for good things.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Money is very important to me . I work hard to earn much money to support my family.
    Now I have not get good way to make much more money in short time , but I will do it through my efforts.
    It is very difficult when we have no way of making the money that we need so badly, isn't it. But the most important thing is that you're willing to work hard, and you should find that you can get the money that you need as long as you put the effort in.
  • IngridgncIngridgnc Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Money is important
    Money is obviously important for the things it buys. Oxfam has been fundraising for clean water in countries where this is still not easily available. This is a good way to use money.
    Money can definitely be used for a lot of good things, and providing clean water to homes is certainly one of the best things that can be done with money. It can give people a second chance at life, and make sure that they don't catch any illnesses, which is of course a great thing.