Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What are your plans for the weekend?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,327 mod
This weekend, I am meeting up with some friends who I haven't seen for a long time. I am very much looking forward to being back in touch with them, and seeing what has been going on with all of their lives.

What about you? Do you have anything fun planned for your weekend? Are you looking forward to it?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    Enjoying the cafes and restaurants of Nice and Villefranche with a friend @GemmaRowlands. It's a very tough life down here on the Cote d'Azur!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    Wow that sounds like an excellent way to spend your weekend, I hope you had a lovely time! You'll have to come back and tell us all about it. I had a quiet weekend overall, but I did enjoy meeting up with my friends who I haven't seen for a while, as we certainly had a lot that we needed to talk about.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This weekend is "La nuit blanche" in Paris. Saturday night is going to be a sleepless one.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    What's la nuit blanche @Zom? Will they have this in Nice? Tomorrow evening I'm planning a night out in the Old Town to go to a flamenco and jazz evening. As I'm going travelling for a couple of weeks from Monday, I will have to do some packing on Sunday.
    This weekend I am meeting up with my grandparents to go out for a meal, because my brother is home from university so we are making the most of the time we have together. I am looking forward to it, because we always have a great time when we manage to get together.
    Got you @GemmaRowlands. One of my brothers visited me lately, and we had 3 fantastic days together.

@mheredge, I think that it's a Parisian event only, but I'm not that sure. Anyway here it's an opportunity to discover Paris at night going through different museums that stay open all night and other ephemeral art /music / cultural shows set up for the occasion. This year most events will be in the north part of Paris. Here is a link if you want to get a better idea of what it's all about.
    http://www.parisianist.com/en/attractions/annual-events/nuit-blanche/
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,180 mod
    I could go watching fireworks this Saturday night, but my friends don't want to go. :(
    It's a great idea @Zom. In London there's a day when all the public buildings that are not normally open can be visited. This is very interesting (I went up the inside of St Pancras tower).

I'm going off for a couple of weeks on Monday, so I guess the weekend will be spent packing and tidying up the apartment before I go.
    Where do you want to watch fireworks @april? There are some fireworks near where I live, and I wanted to go, but there are no friends who want to come with me either so instead I'm having a quiet night in with my family. I am glad of the rest, to tell you the truth because I have a busy day tomorrow.
    It's in a castle close to my house, @GemmaRowlands .
    It's only a ten-minute walk.
    The city council offers the fireworks every year to commemorate the liberation of our village in 1944.

This one is from the year 2013.

I heard some banging in the distance @april. But I have no idea what they were about. I assumed that it must have been from fireworks nut I didn't see anything.
    With or without your friend, you're going to see it, aren't you @april? Can you see it from home or will you go to the castle?
    @GemmaRowlands, sometimes when you go to an event on your own, it's a great opportunity to meet new people. Have you ever had this kind of experience?
    Oh, you can"t see the video, @mheredge ?
    It's a video of fireworks. Can't you hear me "wooow-ing" at the end? :)
    I'm afraid I will have to skip the event this year, @Zom .
    It's not fun to go alone there. :(
    I didn't see it on my tablet. It's not always very good with graphics @april.
    Isn't it the same as when you travel on your own @april? You meet people on the spot. BTW, how was your holiday in Andalusia?
    I prefer travelling alone for this very reason @Zom. On your own, it's much easier to make a bit more effort to talk to other people. When you're with friends, it's too easy to be lazy.
    To be honest, I don't feel that easy anymore to travel alone.

Andalusia was superb, @Zom .
    The weather and the places, but not the food. :)
    It was tiring though.
    I enjoy travelling on my own, because it means that I am able to meet a lot of new people who I wouldn't otherwise have had the chance to speak to. It can be a little intimidating at first, but you soon find that there is a lot of fun to be had whether you're alone or not.
    True @GemmaRowlands, I feel much more adventurous and curious when I travel on my own. During my last holiday in Spain, I contacted a few people on a language exchanges website for meeting up in the flesh. It's worked fine, and it gave me an advantage to get local hints about the place, events and how to get around.

@mheredge, I've experienced traveling with people too, not necessarily a friend and it's great too. You feel more confident when you want to explore some areas you don't feel at ease doing on your own. When you are two, it's as if your confidence level is rising and you do things you wouldn't give a go on your own. But it might be because I'm far from being as well travelled as you are Marianne.
    What was wrong with the food @April? Why was it tiring? What did you do?
    I find even taking the bus locally great fun for meeting people. Waiting for the bus to the airport I met some Algeria students who were Berber. We talked about the things to see in their country, which is a place I very much want to go to. Then on the bus I was sat next to an elderly lady originally from Spain who had studied English at Brighton for three years from 1975. We had an interesting conversation about how much London had changed since compared to other places. So I don't have to travel far to meet fascinating people.
    Yes, using public transport can be a good way to meet new people. If you immerse yourself into local life, wherever you go, it should be much easier for you to get into the swing of things and take a look at what life is like at the place where you're travelling. I know that this is something that I try to do, though I do find it difficult to start a conversation with new people sometimes.
    The food was not that bad, @Zom, but after eating tapas the whole week I was a bit fed up of it.
    In Seville and Cordoba we ate the best food, but it cost us also a lot of money. :)

We did a long walk every day and some places were quite hilly and as you know I'm not that young anymore, that's why I was exhausted. :)
    Tell us more @April. What are the best meals you had in Seville and Cordoba?

I also seem to remember that you said that there is probably a bond between Turkey and Andalusia. Do you confirm it?
    @gemma.tagliafierro - The best thing to get into a conversation in unfamiliar places is to push the door of a pub, café, cafetaria and sit at the counter. Soon enough someone will strike a conversation with you wondering who this 'stranger' in town is. :D
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    Playing football match !! eat out with my friends
    That sounds good @Zom but I think you do need to be very brave if you want to make conversation with people who you don't know at all. I'm okay if other people talk to me, but I struggle to be the first one to make conversation.
    @Zom I'm in total agreement with you. Most people are friendly and will readily strike up conversation once you make that first move. You should try it @GemmaRowlands. It's really not at all hard.