Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is your diet like?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 3,908 mod
I know that diets vary across different countries and cultures, so I thought that it might be helpful to think about what your diet is like. Mine is quite healthy, as I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, and they are good for the body. Some people in my country eat very few items like this, though, so their health isn't as good.

What is your diet like? Do you think that you could improve it?

Comments

• adewinataadewinata Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I am doing OCD Diet.. You can search in google with term " dedy corbuzier diet OCD" Its very effective. I lost 6 Kilogram in one month
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,908 mod
    That sounds very interesting. Also, that is a lot of weight to lose in just one month. How is your weight loss going now? Is it steady, or has it slowed down a lot? I would be interested to find out.
  • IwonaIwona Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I try to keep balanced diet. I started to be interested in a healthy diet 14 years ago. It is very important what we eat and how we eat. It is important to avoid heavy meals in the evening. The main meal should be breakfast. It is good to eat on a regular basis, e.g. every 3 hours. I never eat junk food and fast food. They contain a lot of fat. I attempt to eat fresh fruit and vegetables as much as possible. I always eat oatmeal with fruit for my second breakfast and a vegetable salad that I prepare myself for dinner. I don't eat supper.
    Moreover I try to reduce the amount of sweets. They are very unhealthy. I never eat sweets after breakfast or dinner. Sugar inhibits the absorption of many vitamins.
    When we choose food, we need to be very careful. Some food may seem healthy, e.g. cereals, but they often contain a lot of sugar and artificial vitamins.
    It sounds as though you know a lot about healthy eating @Iwona and there is certainly lots of great advice there for people who think about it. I think that it is fascinating just how much we can influence our own health from changing our diet, and we should all certainly be trying to take more control over it if we can.
  • IwonaIwona Posts: 20 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands, I am interested in a healthy diet. When I was 13, my biology teacher realised me how important is to keep healthy diet.Owing to her I stopped drinking fizzy drinks and eating fast food. She suffered from a horrible metabolic disorder. For that reason she tried to encourage students to take care of their diet.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,139 mod
    I avoid sugar, so try not to eat processed food. I also take it easy on salt as this is added to so many things we eat that we don't really need to add more. I avoid red and fatty meat but like to eat a lot of fish, vegetables and fruit. I don't eat biscuits or cakes but prefer to snack on nuts and dried or fresh fruit. Giving up chocolate was hard at first but now I don't ever want it.
    I think a lot of people learn about diet in science @Iwona and it can be eyeopening to realise just what is in the food that we're eating. I didn't realise how much fat was in crisps, for example, but I hardly ever eat them now.
  • Eva111Eva111 Posts: 6
    When I left being on a diet, that time I lost weight. Being on a diet or being restricted with planned food list, I want more than my original eating limit. For that reason I left my mind free, I stop eating automatically when I have enough food. And the even better is that I did not get back any kilos after loosing the weight. I have had the same kilos for a long time.
    Yes I understand what you mean @Eva111 because when I am trying to eat less, it just makes me think about food even more. But I have managed to lose weight by improving the way that I eat, and I think that has worked well for me in the long term.
    Eating less is the key and I think in time, becomes a habit. I don't eat as much as I used to and don't crave things like I did before.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,888 mod
    edited December 2015
    I agree fully @Marianne, that is the key for a healthy consumation of food. Most of the people who were on a diet gained weight back. A former colluege of me made diets during all her grown-up time and she still struggels with her kilos. Nevertheless to say if you enjoy a bowl of ice cream in a restaurant you can be sure, she will get a spoon and eats some spoon full from y o u r ice cream. I am always happy to see that she uses her own spoon.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I think we should divide our meal into five time a day; breakfast, brunch, lunch, supper and dinner. The quantity of the food and type of food matters alot. Usually, we don't take a balance diet that is why our body goes out of shape most of the time.
    It is much better to have five smaller meals than three larger ones, as it means that you are able to regulate your blood sugar and hormone levels during the course of the day. I regularly tell my friends that this is something that they should do.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,888 mod
    @Bubbly and @ GemmaRowlands, I agree fully. This is also a simple way to loose weight without suffering. Try it out.
    Recently I read an interesting articel where I learnt how small and big a stomach can get. And we are not born with a big stomach that needs a lot, I believe it can get trained to be happy with less food.
    I think what we eat is crucial as well as the amount. Lately I've been eating lots more fruit and vegetables, and fish instead of meat.
    I think we should add nuts and dry fruits in our daily meal in winter as they are healthy and keep us fit. I prefer fish over chicken or mutton. Recently, I found some good recipes of salad that is the mixture of vegetables and meat. I think, we need to add fibres as well and for that we should keep one portion of our daily meat of fruits and vegetables.
    Yes, food choice can make a huge difference @mheredge and one thing that I suggest is that you only eat things that are natural, for example meat, fruit and vegetables. Anything that has been manufactured is bound to have something unhealthy in it.
  • LienLien Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Well, dietary contains vegetable, fruit, cereal seeds, steamed chicken meat (get rid of skin), steamed fish, sugar-free food, and do not use any canned food.
    I have added dry fruits/nuts in my daily meal as good for skin and hair. I daily take a small portion of almonds, walnuts, and peanuts.
    I normally don't eat four-legged meat but a friend brought over some amazing Australian rib-eye steak that we ate BBQ'd yesterday and the day before. It was so succulent, it melted on the mouth. But beef isn't usually as good as this and now I'm back to fish or two-legged meat!
  • OmerHOmerH Posts: 129 ✭✭
    My diet is full of proteins and fats. So I have gained some weight over the past few months. Need to follow a strict diet plan but hard to resist when I have a look on the delicious food which is available all around. May be I should exercise more regularly.
    I know the problem @OmerH. I'm doing my best to keep control of my diet so I can shed a few pounds.
  • OmerHOmerH Posts: 129 ✭✭
    I am doing my best to gain few more pounds @mheredge
    No but, I am trying to control. Let's see how long it continues.
    edited January 2016
    These days, I am taking a variety of nutritious food and credit goes to my colleagues who daily bring new ideas for the lunch and we enjoy different tastes and types of food. :)
    @mheredge I rarely eat meat; at one point I was a strict vegetarian, but these days I'm not as strict. Sometimes there are some meats that are so tempting that you give in and eat them, even though you know you shouldn't really!
    I think bread is always an emotive topic when it comes to diet. They say we shouldn't eat it, but we all agree it tastes great! But perhaps the experts will never agree on anything. That certainly seems to be the way more often than not.
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭
    The more variety the better. Vegs, proteins, fruits, a bit of fats and sugars and carbs...
    ATM my BMI is fine but I think I retain water because of my meds so I admit I tend to lower the amount of sugars and fats in my diet...
  • ElleElle Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
    My diet has been a bit changed since I came to Canada. I try to have more fiber, protein, carbs and less salt, sugar, fat and wheat.

These days my breakfast is oatmeal. Let me give you super easy and quick recipe called 'Over night Oatmeal'.
    Take a mason jar and put oatmeal on the bottom, pour some water or milk (I use soy milk) ,then add some yogurt (greek or flavoured as your preference). This is base. You can add anything you want in it. I put some raisins, chocolate chips, cinnamon powder, shred coconut. You can add also some bananas, shred carrots, berries. Once you are done, put it in refrigerator and Take it next morning.
    The oatmeal soaked water or milk during the night, so it gets soft enough to eat. :)