Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tattoo or not tattoo?

Do you have a tattoo? My mum would have been horrified if I had ever had one though I was tempted! I know lots of people who have a tattoo and lots of people who think they are awful.
However, I don't think I know anyone who would find this abhorrent.
What do you think?

TATTOO

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    I haven't got one, but the only reason I haven't done it yet is because I am scared of the pain. I would very much like to have one, however I worry that it would hurt too much, and I would have to ask them to stop half way through. I have made a design that I would like, and I am trying to get enough courage to go for it.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,501 mod
    In Japan, if you have a tattoo, you're not allowed in the public baths or hot springs. Tattoos often send out signals, so can be a disadvantage when you want a job and you have a too visible to the interviewer.
  • I don't like the tattos, but I think that some people have a good reason for having one..
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @amatsuscribbler

@amatsuscribbler said:
    > Do you have a tattoo? My mum would have been horrified if I had ever had one though I was tempted! I know lots of people who have a tattoo and lots of people who think they are awful.
    > However, I don't think I know anyone who would find this abhorrent.
    > What do you think?
    >
    A tattoo is something you have for your whole life. I think one should have a really serious reason, which most tattoo salons' first customers lack.
    A former colleague of mine practiced tattooing in his past. He said many teenage girls had come to him and he always asked them: "Look, you're young and pretty now, but when you become older, a 40 y.o. mother of many, or a respected professional, you may regard your tattoo differently. Also, with age your body may deform, and the picture will deform too. If you still want one, get in on your wrists or ankles."
    Males are luckier at that.
  • yscostayscosta Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I am not got a tattoo. But I think too much to have one. A simple one. Something that has a meaning.

I practised Aikido and there is a Kanji that represent this word. There three parts and I think to got a tattoo only one part Ki.

-------------------

I haven't got a tattoo. But I have thought about getting one, a simple one that means something.

I practised Aikido and there is a Kanji that represents this word. There are three parts and I think I would get a tattoo of one part, Ki.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    What do you all think about getting names tattooed onto your body? I think it's okay if you're getting a child's name (your child, of course) because that is the only relationship that will never break. I wouldn't want to get a partner's name in case we broke up.
    A couple of friends had tattoos of rings put on their ring fingers. Another has a super moustache tattooed on the side of her index finger. When she puts her finger over her top lip, she has a moustache!
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    @yscosta said

> I practised Aikido and there is a Kanji that represent this word. There three parts and I think to got a tattoo only one part Ki.

The thing is to find an artist who knows Japaneese. They say a girl had some hieroglyphs tattooed on a visible part of her body and she couldn't get why people laughed while she was visiting Japan. A kind soul revealed the secret: the tattoo's meaning was: 'California Sushi - 200 yens'.
  • nisreen.mustafanisreen.mustafa Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭
    mmmm i think it's kinda cool to have one , but actually i am scared because it is painful and can't be removed easily and i hate to have it in all the parts of my body, However if i have to make one it would be just one and i will choose it to be on my shoulder.
  • dededede Posts: 61 Inactive
    i don't like it
    I saw some ladies performing a very interesting mix of 'eastern' (Turkish, Magreban, India) dancing at a street party in my road today. Some of them had very attractive flower tattoos on their bellies. All the same, I would never want one for myself.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've watched a documentary on tattoo on NAT-Geo a year back. It has provided a complete information about tattoo; its history, types, motives, trends, effects etc. Now a days it is much trendy and people like to make it on different part of their skin. But, my concern is the health issues or certain risks associated with tattoo like skin allergies, skin infections, bloodborne diseases etc.
    And HIV @bubbli, if contaminated needles are used.
    @mheredge yes. I've heard it is really a painful process. Is it so?
    @mheredge I know of somebody who has done wedding ring tattoos, too. I think it's very romantic, as it means that they're absolutely sure that they will be together forever. I, however, am far too much of a pessimist to even think about doing something like that, because I am always thinking that nothing is forever, and that people can split up in the future.
    And it's harder to remove than to have it done @GemmaRowlands.
    @GemmaRowlands but may be for a tattoo, they stick togather? :)
    I am still confused between tattoos and painting. Is there any form of temporary tattoos or it is permanent?
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I've never thought of having tattoos. As @mheredge wrote earlier, people who have tattoos can't go public baths, hot springs and swimming pools in my country, Japan. The people who visit these places apply adhesive plasters to conceal their tattoos.
    @rainbird Interesting. I don't think every person who has tattoo want to expose it publicly.
    I was amused to see you lads wearing sleeves that are designed like tattoos. They were all the rage for quite a while. Especially the young men working on the buses in Nepal seemed to like them.
    edited September 2015
    @mheredge really! I will find out these shirts and hopefully these shirts look more beautiful than the real tattoos. :) I found this one on Google.

• aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather have a temporary tattoo of a ball on my leg. Some players believe it could help them strongly kick the ball.
    edited September 2015
    @aryarchi is there any temporary tattoo available?
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,215 mod
    You can get temporary tattoos quite easily here. Even for children.
    http://image.dhgate.com/albu_325591618_00-1.0x0/temporary-tattoos-50pcs-lot-tattoo-stencils.jpg
    @bubbli you can certainly get temporary tattoos, and they are quite popular with children. Sometimes I have worn them if I think they look good with a particular outfit. I also plan to get a temporary tattoo before I get my real one, just to make sure I like it before I am stuck with it forever.
    edited September 2015
    Amatsu, they look like stickers but really beautiful.

@GemmaRowlands are you planning to get the permanent one? What if you are fed up and want to get rid of it.
    I think they look fine on young people, but I cringe a bit when I see older people with them, when their skin has become crinkly or is starting to sag!
    I am planning to get a proper tattoo eventually @bubbli yes. But I think that if you're sure it's the one you want, you won't really regret getting it, so you just have to be certain first. You can get treated to have it removed, but that can be expensive and painful to go through.
    @GemmaRowlands which tattoo's pattern or design is in your mind?
    I watched the pilot of Blindspot yesterday. It was very interesting. The girl in the story is found completely covered in tattoos that seem to be messages to the police.
This discussion has been closed.