Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is your favourite snack?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,307 mod
When you fancy something to eat, what is the food that you go to first? For me, I enjoy eating chocolate, as I find that it is sweet and delicious when it melts in my mouth. I really enjoy eating it, and it is something that I do every day, even though that probably isn't all that healthy for me. But I don't mind, because it tastes great. What is your favourite snack?

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    I do like savoury treats too @bubbli and I find crisps and fries to be particularly addictive a lot of the time. It is something that I really enjoy eating, but you have to be careful because if you eat too many treats like that, it might get too much and you will end up putting weight on.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am already slim and I daily walk 4KM. So, no chance of putting on weight. But, I am very careful about my diet because it is not only the matter of weight gain but health as well.
    Wow @bubbli that is a lot of walking each day. I enjoy walking, but don't usually have the time to walk quite that much on a daily basis. I usually walk a lot at the weekends when I'm not working, and I enjoy that very much, particularly when the weather is nice.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I have decided that I shouldn't snack so much as it's very fattening. However a good compromise is to nibble on fruit and vegetables, so I have some carrots at the ready in the fridge.
    edited September 2015
    @Cattleya hi and welcome to the forum.
    So you like fried potatoes. :)
    @GemmaRowlands I like morning walk and initially it was difficult for me to develop this habit but now I don't feel any issue. I feel so active and energetic after walk. So, I like to eat snacks especially sandwiches and chicken rolls.
    @bubbli I think that it is great that you have decided that you enjoy walking in the mornings now. It also means that you don't need to worry quite as much about what you're eating, because you're able to burn off some of the snacks that you might consume. So, while of course it's great that we should eat healthy snacks, there is nothing wrong with a treat every now and again, too.
    I'm boycotting snacks unless they're healthy and not fattening! So no biscuits or anything that might tempt me when I get the munchies.
    @GemmaRowlands It is all about keeping balance. I don't think due to a morning walk I start eating more. Even if I eat any snacks, I am conscious of the quantity and quality of them. Otherwise, there may be other health issues that these snack bring with them.
    I am actually going to try and lose some weight, so starting from tomorrow I will buying new snacks to enjoy! My new snack of choice is strawberries and low fat yogurt. It is a nice snack, and it is healthy too, meaning that I should be able to lose some weight.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,477 mod
    After my hols I feel the need to go on a diet too, but I hate dieting.

Still, the new snacks in my fridge will be celery sticks, and carrots.
    Me too @Lynne. I'm getting a taste for olives and carrots. And better still,they are aactually good for you.
    My diet has started today @Lynne and so far I'm feeling happy with myself. I've had cereal for breakfast, which is a healthier choice than what I usually eat, and I've just had strawberries, grapes and yogurt for lunch, which was surprisingly nice. I'm going out for a meal tonight which might be difficult, but I will try and choose a healthy option if I can.
  • makeFinmakeFin Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    For me it will be french fries or chips
  • dededede Posts: 61 Inactive
    i like nuts, popcorn and chips i feeling happy when i eat these foods
    Tonight I'm feeling virtuous as I've been snacking on grapes. :-)
    I have had grapes for my lunch today @mheredge as I am trying my absolute best to be healthier! Last night I had quite an unhealthy meal, but I am determined that I will make up for it today by making healthier choices and improving my overall diet.
  • Hehe in germany is 'Oktoberfest'. My favourity snack is "Eisbein mit Sauerkraut" :)
  • mahmoud44mahmoud44 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    my favourit snak is fruits
    or chipsy
    Me too @mahmoud44. And it's healthy too.
    What kinds of fruits are your favourites, @mahmoud44 ? I bought some fresh kiwi fruits today, which I enjoyed eating, and it is something that I enjoy having for my lunch. I like to try different types of fruit, as some of the flavours are wonderful.
  • KyaraDKyaraD Posts: 2
    My favourite is pasta. ik like it very much but the sauce is not always healthy. But if you eat not every week your favourite meal, than you enjoy more of it. That my opinion and it works! :)
    hi @GemmaRowlands my favourit fruit is banana , mango , watermelon. appel and kiwi ;)
    I prefer citrus fruits like grapefruit, lemon and oranges @mahmoud44. I also like passion fruit and berries. I have some raspberries in the fridge that I'm going to snack on a bit later.
    I can't remember the last time I had a mango, @mahmoud44 because they aren't really available readily where I live. I do like the taste of them though, and I drink mango flavoured juices all the time when I can get hold of them. It is a great taste!
  • jhajha Posts: 52 ✭✭
    If i'd go for unhealthy ones, i like fries dipped in icecream, pasta with seafood in redsauce or burgers. For healthy snacks i'd go for apple and cucumber mixed with vinegar and pinch of salt and pepper in it or pineapple with sallt. Apparently, i like eating. I'm a big eater but i dont gain weight.
    Ice cream and chips! OMG. Watch out @jha. The young can burn up energy fast, but as you get older (like me), the fat starts to collect.
  • jhajha Posts: 52 ✭✭
    yeah @mheredge I just cant resist sweets. We need to work it out to burn fats. In my field of work, i do a lot of liftings though.