Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Can you read books in your second language?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 4,897 mod
When you're reading a book, it is important that you're able to understand the story as it goes on. Are you able to do this this in the language that you're not native in? I am not able to do this yet, because it takes me too long to work out so I get confused, but I do hope that soon I will be able to understand books in other languages just as well as I can in my native language. It is a great way to learn lots of new words.

Comments

• naDaothmannaDaothman Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Sometimes I do it but there is a little bit events that I can't understand but trying to complete it to understand the main point of the story
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,105 mod
    edited September 2015
    I'm lazy. Also I read very fast in my first language and get frustrated that I don't read so fast in my second language.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,897 mod
    I think it's quite normal that you don't understand certain parts of it, but you should find that you understand more and more as it goes on, which is helpful. It does get easier over time, and soon enough you will find that you don't have to work anything out anymore in your head, and it will just make sense.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't feel any issue to read in any book in English. Interestingly, I feel more comfortable in reading the books in English than Urdu. Sometimes, I feel some issues to read books in my mother tongue that is Punjabi. Though, I have overcome this issue by learning this language a little bit more.
    It is interesting that you are now more comfortable reading books in English. Why do you think this is the case? It is wonderful that you can read in more than one language, though, as it means that there is a whole world of opportunity open to you that might not have been there when you could only speak one language.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned English through reading and writing. Initially, I was used to read English books by keeping a dictionary with me for finding out the meaning of some difficult words. I do the same now. But, I am not very fond of learning many languages, but I like to speak few local languages in my country that are close to my mother tongue.
    Having a dictionary to hand is a great way to learn new words. Whenever I see a word that I don't understand, I will write down what it means in a notebook, and read over the list for a few days until I can remember the word. So over time the older words are removed from the list as new ones are added. I usually have around 20 words on my list at any one time.
  • campuscampus Posts: 17 ✭✭
    In fact, reading books in English is a little hard to me, so many words block my process.
    It might seem to be very hard at first @campus but you should find that over time it gets a lot easier, because you will gradually learn all of the words that you need to know. It is worth the patience at the beginning to get the rewards at the end.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    When you read a book in other language it seems very difficult. Process of reading is long but it is worth. You can learn a many new words and sentences. Thus I learned Russian. My first book in Russian I read a month. Now I have started to read in English. Reading and writing is the best way of learning to me because I don't have many occasions to speak in English.
    I totally agree with you @nomad81. I'm lazy and not usually motivated enough to bother too much reading of books in French. I read the newspaper however. I recommend this to students who want to practice reading English because you can pick and choose what interests you and don't have to spend too long at it.
    Newspapers can be really helpful, because the articles are only short, which means that you don't have to think about it for too long before you have the full story. You could buy a newspaper and just concentrate on maybe one or two articles per day, and eventually you would learn a lot of new words that you need to know.
    It is right. I often read articles during my coffee break. So I bought e-reader because it has built-in a English dictionary and I can read books and articles faster. It's very helpful. If you read more and more texts in English, your amount of known words increases.
    E-readers are really good in this way @nomad81. But I still prefer using a separate paper dictionary to look up vocab I don't know. It takes longer and involves a bit more effort. But this in itself often helps me remember the word better later than if it was too quick and easy to find the meaning.
    I love e-readers, but not all of the time. It is great when you're trying to translate, but I do still very much enjoy the feeling of a real book in my hand and being able to turn the pages. They are great to save space, though!
    @GemmaRowlands is right. I often read articles during my coffee break. So I bought e-reader because it has built-in a English dictionary and I can read books and articles faster. It's very helpful. If you read more and more texts in English, your amount of known words increases.
  • pranitkpranitk Posts: 6
    In India we at least learn 3-4 languages. So I can read in at least 4 language.
    Which languages can you read @pranitk? English, Hindu and? I never cease to amaze at the number of languages many Indians can understand.
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    For me I studied with language witch I'm not native during 5 years so I can read books and I understand very well . My aims is to have this possibility with English, read books and understand easily. @GemmaRowlands
    I think that you have a good chance of being able to understand English well @snack98 as long as you just keep practicing. Eventually you will find that it doesn't take you as long to understand the book as it might have done before.
    Now I master 2 languages I am fluent on . It still me english that I want to impove it . @GemmaRowlands what about you ?
    Unfortunately I cannot read books in French, which is the language I am learning at the moment. I find that I am far too slow, and I have to stop a lot to get the dictionary out and look at words. I hope that I will be able to improve my skills in the future, though.
    Of course you do ! it's the same case for me but with English. but we have to keep going and reach our aim !
  • PawelZybulskijPawelZybulskij Posts: 20 ✭✭
    That is because your read wrong books, they are difficult for you yet, try read easier books, not classic. There are also books adapted for language learners with less vocabulary.
    I think you make a valid point @PawelZybulskij and I have a friend who learned to speak Spanish from using the same books that children used when they learned to read in school. Perhaps I should be trying that, as it would help me to progress.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,291 mod
    I tend to have several books on the go. Mostly English, but with at least one German book. (I no longer pick up the dictionary, I just go with the flow and get the gist of the story.)
  • RafiaremaRafiarema Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    If the books aren't in any specific genres. I suppose I like reading it in English.
  • KathyKathy Posts: 5
    According to my experiences reading is one of the best way to learn new vocabularies. Even better if you have a reading partner with the same interest. If you can share new words and talk about them it is the easiest way and you have a big chance to remember them for ever.
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately not, it's too difficult for me yet. But I want. Maybe forum help's me with that and I'll be more fluency with my read skill.(((
    Don't worry @Glorian I am sure that you'll be able to read books before you know it. You should start small with very easy books, and you can then work your way up to things that are a little more complicated when you can cope with the easier books. You will soon get there, so don't worry too much about it.