Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Reading - the most healthy thing you can do

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 28,555 mod
A consultancy based at the University of Sussex has suggested that reading is the most effective form of stress relief compared to typical stress relief methods.

Participants were put through a range of tests and exercises to increase their stress levels and heart rate. Then they were engaged in typical stress relief activities like listening to music, walking, playing video games and reading.

Results showed that reading for just 6 minutes reduced stress levels by an average of 68%. By comparison, listening to music reduced stress levels by 61% taking a walk reduced stress by 42%, and playing video games reduced stress by 21%.

http://www.trueactivist.com/heres-why-reading-is-one-of-the-healthiest-things-you-can-do-for-yourself/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TrueActivist+(True+Activist)&utm_content=Gmail

Comments

• snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting, I agree because I feel much better when I read so sure that reduce my stress ! what about you @mheredge ? do you feel the same things ?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I am agree with you
  • yijunliuyijunliu Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I have some different opinions because I feel even stressed when reading some boring text books which I don't have too much interests on.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,555 mod
    Interesting and maybe not too surprising, though I suppose it might depend on what you're reading. Last week I received a very disturbing letter that raised my blood pressure through the roof! That said, I soon calmed down reading a detective novel afterwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    Reading is good, because improves the mind, the imagination.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel relax after reading a good book. But, again it depends on a book that how effectively it grasps our attention.
    edited January 2016
    Or to sum up: it helps develop verbal abilities, improves focus and concentration, improves the imagination, makes you smarter, makes you interesting, reduces stress, improves the memory, helps you discover and create yourself, and is good entertainment.

Though it helps reader enjoy the arts @Csilla, I'm not sure I'm totally convinced that they necessarily will go on to improve the world by volunteering and doing charity work.
  • ShellyLealShellyLeal Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Hi, guys! I think it would be nice if we had a topic here working as a book club. What do you think? Emma Watson also created recently a book club in GoodReads. I think it's a great idea to develop the reading, like reading a book per month and discuss it in the group.
  • susheelasusheela Posts: 56 ✭✭
    reading is good for mind we can improve our knowledge by reading a book
    It was lovely seeing a Nepalese colleague reading a book today in the office. Sadly there is virtually nothing to do as travel bookings to Nepal are almost non-existent still, even eight months after the earthquake (his job is to book flights). So rather than do nothing, he's sensibly brought in something to while away the time!