Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Housework

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 23,489 mod
What is the bane of your existence? Or do you love cleaning and domestic chores? Are you houseproud or a bit of a slob (like me)? Are you meticulously tidy or have piles of things lurking in the corners and things a little bit out of place?

What chores do you really hate and which do you like?
Tagged:

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,797 mod
    edited December 2013
    Today under the watch of the sun I shrubbed the wooden floors of our balconies. It was hard labour but it is worth to look at now.
    I even cleaned some windows that are quite difficult to reach, but with the help of a table and a chair I got up highly and reached with doing some streching the corners.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,489 mod
    edited December 2013
    @Hermine I'm happy to see you! You are my inspiration when it comes to housework. I wish I were as diligent as you are.

I suppose as I'm such a gypsy these days. There's not much point in me being all that houseproud when I'm never in my own place or stay anywhere for more than a few weeks at a time. \:D/
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,488 mod
    I think my least favourite part of housework is cleaning windows, evidenced by the state of my windows at the moment, and the ironing.

To be fair, the windows aren't actually "dirty", but after I last cleaned them, hubby switched on the garden hose to wash down the path. He managed to spray the windows too and now they are streaked. I'll probably clean them again before New Year.

@Hermine, for your diligence a bonus correction:-

Today under the watchful gaze of the sun I scrubbed the wooden floors of our balconies. It was hard labour but it was worth it when I look at them now.

I even cleaned some windows that are quite difficult to reach, but with the help of a table and a chair I got up high and reached the corners by doing some stretching.
    Now, you have to ask yourself, did I forget to put in the housework I like, or ...

b-(
    I'm not sure if cooking counts as housework. If not, then I'm going to have to work out if there's any housework I like doing too @Lynne.
    Bad news. If there has not been done any housework for days you will have to start from the scratch. Today before I started to clean the staircase railing I had to find my right glove. I have plenty of left ones but where are all the right ones?
    Are you right-handed @Hermine? Maybe you're wearing out the right gloves faster than the left ones?!
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 1,991 mod
    Is it like the sock problem @Hermine!
    @ Marianne - yes I am right-handed but I have never ever worn out gloves. Okay maybe holes were on the top of the fingers.

@ amatsu - the only advantage I can see in haveing different pairs of socks is that you can still wear them on the right and left foot, but having the wrong pair of gloves makes it impossible to wear. The thumb must take the place of the little finger and the other way round.
    You're right @Hermine. It doesn't matter which sock goes missing but it's another kettle of fish when it comes down to gloves.
    The answer? Mittens! Even thought the thumb is there, you can twist them to fit!
    How on earth will you do the washing up with mittens?
    The other day I wore a pair, yes I found the right one. But funny enouth I was about to fill the basket with water when I saw my middle finger on the left hand peeping through the glove. I am sure my left hand has by far not so much to do as my right one and anyway it was the left glove.
    Ok Ok! The answer - a dishwasher!
    Ah but @hermine, if you have lots of spare left gloves, you could always use one of them. @amatsu, I think a dishwasher might only solve one of Hermine's problems. I might be tempted to invest in a whole box of gloves and just resign myself to their short life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    The chores I do most now are washing my car and clean my lunch box :) I used to do my daily laundry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Very interesting topic....Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.................. :))
    You used to do your laundry @Steven? But what about now? Does your wife do it or do you have a washing machine?

The past week has been great from the point of view of laundry. The family I've been staying with have a washing machine. However from tomorrow it will be back to washing as I go. Luckily the nights are warm enough that everything dries by the morning.
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually clean the floor and wash vehicles.
    Particularly motorbikes by any chance @Helvio?

For a change, I'm staying in a much more upmarket hotel than I would normally frequent and I was surprised when the housekeeping wanted to change my sheets after just one night. I didn't let them, but they sneaked in later and replaced my towel. Environmentally this is crazy as after one day, normal people don't need their sheets and towels washed.
    I hate wash my bike, but I wash. :)

And I wash my wife's car too. ;)
    You can wash my car too @Helvio! Our poor car probably gets washed about 4 times a year! Unless we have a particularly muddy walk one week!
    How many kms do your poor car runs each year @amatsuscribbler?
    About 12 thousand miles.... what is that in kilometres?!
    Almost 20 thousand Km, yeap you run enough. We run only 6,5 thousand miles with the car, but I ride 13 thousand miles with my bike.
    I used to drive about 12,000 miles a year when I ran a car. That is until I changed my job and had to drive to offices in Brighton and the other side of London. Then I was driving nearer 20,000 miles.
    edited January 2014
    You must be VERY fit @Helvio!! ^:)^
    Humpf @amatsu! Not sitting in a car or on a bike. Foot power or better still pedal power is what gets you fit.
    @Amatsuscribbler - I think @Helvio means his motorbike.
    Hehe - running and pushing the car simultaneously must be hard work!