Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Working holidays

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,502 mod
I'm amazed at the number of people around who, when I ask if they are on holiday, admit to being 'sort of' on holiday.

One guy who's staying the guest house where I am has his faced glued to his iPhone all day and is constantly at work His office is in Sydney. (He did admit to being a control freak though). New Zealand even has a special category visa called a working holiday visa.

Is this taking 'working from home' too far? When you go on holiday, do you end up taking work with you or do you leave it all behind?

Tagged:

Comments

• HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I go on holiday I leave it all behind. I used to forget my work's login password included. :)
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,802 mod
    I've been posting here all day, so I guess I have already answered your question @mheredge, but then I enjoy it, so it's not really work.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,047 mod
    Me too! I've just finished clinic and here I am working again. Actually, is it work? I'm enjoying talking to you all, so I guess not! :-j
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,502 mod
    So when is work not work? I guess when you really enjoy it. I've made a new rule: I will only work if it's fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    @mheredge , actually I don't fully catch what you mean. It seems that you got a friend playing his iphone on his work and you can't tell if he was on work. I am an IT engineer, and sometimes I have to work from home to take care of urgent cases or to perform maintence jobs. During my connecting to the facility builiding through virtual private network, I always play fb and leave a message of what I have done. 7*24 service is the type of IT industry. Take this english learning forum for an example, I think there must be at least one administrator to manage the whole service. Once the service is down, he/she will be called to fix the problem. And @Lynne, not everyone is so lucky to find a job in which he/she enjoys. To me, my job just makes my living and it's hard to change a career path. Good day, guys!!
    edited December 2013
    Many employers block Facebook as they are afraid of the amount of time wasted by employees accessing it in office hours. But I guess they can't control their employees' use of smart phones to access this or other non-work related sites.

It's a nightmare for employers.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,896 mod

During the school holidays my daughter is working in an office and recentley her boss told her that she cannot come for a few days, because her dog Erich has a disc Prolapse and she prefers to stay at home with him. The couple is in my age and has not children, so I take it the animal mußt be quite important to them, because lots of camper arriving these days.
    edited December 2013
    ...they do`t have childen on their own.
    ---------------
    ... they don't have children of their own.
    Post edited by amatsuscribbler on
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,047 mod
    Are they camping with their dog @Hermine?
    @ amatsu - No, but they own a camp site.
    Where I'm staying, they have two guard dogs. They are tied up during the day but left to prowl around at night. It's quite scary as I've been given strict instructions not to go outside at night, as they are loose and goodness knows what could happen.

@Hermine, was your daughter's boss's dog a pet or a guard dog?
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,832 mod
    I used to work as a nurse, so when I was on holiday I really was on holiday because it was impossible to take my patients with me. :-h
    @April watch out! I might try and persuade you to come to Nepal to work in a hospital in the Himalayas as a volunteer if you're not careful! (If this interests you, take a look at www.rannepal.org)
    Maybe I'll one day @mheredge. :)
    Marianne, it is her child (her dog). _What do you mean by guard dog? A dog for a blind master or a dog caring for the security of the camper? None of them. It is just an ordinary dog.
    Most people here keep dogs to guard their home. Even if they look after the dog well, I'm not sure that they are really pets as they often don't even sleep inside the house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    @april, My wife is an ICU nurse with heavily load. Sometimes she has to spend her off on meetings. You said you were a nurse, and what do you do now?
    @Steven, I'm retired now. :)
    edited January 2014
    @Steven - My wife is an ICU nurse with a heavy workload. Sometimes she has to spend her time off on meetings.

I work with nurses who want to volunteer and help in Nepal where there is a huge shortage of skilled nurses working in the countryside. I take my hat off to them for the amazing job they do.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @Marianna - me too.
    Four nursing students from France arrived yesterday and are going to the hospital tomorrow @Hermine. Then in three weeks, Florian, a young doctor from Austria (Wien) and three German medical students are coming for a couple of weeks. At the same time, an Argentinian doctor will be joining us, so we will be a nice international group of volunteers.
    Don't volunteers sometimes tend to apply their own way of working @mheredge?
    Within the limits of the equipment and resources they find when they go to the rural healthposts and community hospital, this is fine @april. I think doctors here in Nepal are taught British protocols and so there is very little difference in the ways of doing things. The problem arises more in the bigger hospitals in Kathmandu when American trained doctors have different approaches to some treatments. I don't think it's a big problem though.
  • science24science24 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who has the same feeling?
    I have! =))

I don't. =))
    As long as the wound is treated well @science24‌, does it matter too much how?
This discussion has been closed.