Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you make yourself at home?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 4,527 mod
Everybody has a different idea of what makes a house a home, but what is the best for you? Personally, I like to be able to surround myself with comfy things, so that when I am sitting in my lounge I am very comfortable. I like to watch television that way, and perhaps have a drink and some healthy snacks to have with me, too.

How do you make yourself feel at home in your own house?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,303 mod
    "Kick the cat and make yourself feel at home!" I'm not sure where this saying comes @GemmaRowlands. The last thing I think I'd ever do would be to kick poor kitty! But having a cat to sit on my lap would definitely make me feel at home.

Home for me is having warm colours around me. I love textiles and so if I have a carpet or nice coloured shawl spread over the bed (red being the best), then even a hotel room can feel like home. (And before you ask, yes I do in fact have a nice rug rolled up in the store room of my favourite hotel in Kathmandu!)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually sit in my room or living area. Both gives me a lot of comfort. In my room, I just spread all things around like pillows, cell phone, books, pen and a notebook, laptop, and a cup of coffee or tea. I like this clutter environment whenever I am doing some work. In living area, I watch TV with other family members, so I prefer to enjoy by talking to others and watch TV. We also eat our meals in living area so that is the place where I spend most of my time. :) Cell phone is usually with me so I also post on either forum or check some updates or emails as well. :)
    My mobile phone is often switched off or buried somewhere. Every few days I try to stop the clutter building up (I don't have enough space to be too untidy). But books somehow seem to get everywhere, even though I now have a Kindle.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,527 mod
    > @mheredge said:
    > My mobile phone is often switched off or buried somewhere. Every few days I try to stop the clutter building up (I don't have enough space to be too untidy). But books somehow seem to get everywhere, even though I now have a Kindle.

I don't like things being too untidy. I just don't feel as though I am at home if things get to that stage, so I do everything that I can to stop things from getting that far. I think that surrounding yourself with familiar - but tidy - things can help a lot, and can make a house really feel like a home to you.
    Living in a small space @GemmaRowlands, I have to be fairly tidy. But if the place is too tidy, I'm not comfortable either. It's getting the right balance.
    If your home is only small, I think it is easier to keep it tidy @mheredge because it almost forces you to. I just cannot live if the place isn't spotless, and I know that it would be easier for me if I was in a smaller place, because it would be more difficult to keep clean.
  • PeacemakerPeacemaker Posts: 7
    Being at home is having the comfort to express and be yourself. Since, I am not working, I am just studying for my boards, I spend most of my time in my room, sitting down and reading either from my laptop and books. I like studying at home rather than the local public library, because I found it more quiet and have all my study materials at hand. Being home, it's definitively my comfort zone.
    I also like to study at home, because everything that you need is within easy reach. If you were studying at the library you would have to go back home again if you forgot something. So it is good that you feel at home enough to do your studying there.
  • mcc15mcc15 Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I can't study in the library either. I prefer my private space at home. In the library, I always have the feeling I need something such as a coffee, snack, whatever and it would be so much effort to get it. At home it's way easier, therefore it doesn't bother me and I can focus on studying.
    Yes I don't like sitting without buying anything from the library either. I feel as though I should always be paying them somehow for using their facilities even though they are there for everybody to use for free. But as long as you have somewhere to study, I suppose it doesn't matter where it is.
  • mcc15mcc15 Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Yeah, that's true. I'm glad I know where studying works the best for me. Some of my friends always tell me they can't study neither at home nor at the library.
  • IrisveilIrisveil Posts: 10
    I make myself feel at home by turning on my music, adjusting the light, and sitting with a cup of coffee while surfing the internet, l don't like studying in a library either, I like to study out loud and that's not really an option in a library!
    There's a saying: Kick off your shoes and make yourself at home. I've also heard of an alternative that involves 'kick the cat and make yourself at home, but I have no idea why kicking the cat should be necessary.
    Some English expressions are very odd @mheredge I always feel as though I need to apologise for them because I am English! I have never actually heard the kicking the cat expression if I'm being honest, but I will listen out for it from now on.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,545 mod
    Sometimes, I pamper myself by cuddling a pillow with me everytime I sleep especially when stressed at work. :)
    That sounds very nice indeed, and I expect you feel relaxed when you are able to do that!
    edited April 2016
    Yup sometimes. I also cuddle my puppy because she makes me feel stress-free and happy. Especially everytime I see her cute face. :) @GemmaRowlands

34MSUbuh.jpg

Say Hi to her. :smiley:
    @GemmaRowlands you had me searching for 'kick the cat', because this is a phrase my father always used to use. I wondered if it came from a Navy idiom, but I don't see it listed. I'm sure he must have picked it up from when he was in the Navy. I did find a very interesting collection of idioms that I remember him using all the time though (except perhaps 'shiver me timbers').

http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/cetag/1etimber.htm
    Wow @kindgnice your dog has such a cute face. It would get a lot of attention if it were mine!
    Thank you very much for the compliment @GemmaRowlands. I'm sure she'd be happy to hear your words in person. ;) She's asleep now yet will tell her your compliments later when she wakes up. ;)
    I'm not in favour of kicking any animal.

When I'm staying in a hotel room for any length of time I usually put something familiar and colourful like a scarf or shawl to decorate the bed or something just to personalise the place. Then it feels a bit more like home for me.
    Well that's a good option to customize your room and make it your own. @mheredge ;)
    Yes that sounds like a good idea @mheredge these hotel rooms can seem so impersonal sometimes, so a personal touch can make a big difference!
  • sammanisammani Posts: 238 ✭✭
    I like to spend time alone sometimes.then that I choose the the slab of our house and when I am there I feel free.
    I'm worried about my pictures when I move, as I usually have something get broken in transit. It's not far, so maybe I'll just walk round the fragile things to avoid breakages during my move next week. :|
    mheredge said:

I'm worried about my pictures when I move, as I usually have something get broken in transit. It's not far, so maybe I'll just walk round the fragile things to avoid breakages during my move next week. :|

Yes it is very difficult to keep things in one piece, but try wrapping them up as much as you can and adding "fragile" stickers to your cases so that any other handlers know that there are fragile goods in there, too.
    I took a few of the most fragile pictures to the new place today as I had to go to get the electricity meter read with the estate agent. I even put one of the pictures on the wall (marking my territory) though I technically don't have keys till Monday (but they have my money).
    mheredge said:

I took a few of the most fragile pictures to the new place today as I had to go to get the electricity meter read with the estate agent. I even put one of the pictures on the wall (marking my territory) though I technically don't have keys till Monday (but they have my money).

It is good that you have started to put your own stamp on the place. It will make it feel much more like home when you officially get your keys!
    edited August 2016
    I ahve to keep pinching myself that I really am going to be living in such a beautiful house @GemmaRowlands. It might be a small apartment in the roof, but it's in a very nice looking bourgeois villa. I will definitely have to make sure that I don't become a snob!
    mheredge said:

I ahve to keep pinching myself that I really am going to be living in such a beautiful house @GemmaRowlands. It might be a small apartment in the roof, but it's in a very nice looking bourgeois villa. I will definitely have to make sure that I don't become a snob!

It is important not to be a snob, but at the same time you should be very proud of your home, it sounds beautiful.