Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is your favourite genre of books?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 3,637 mod
When you're learning English, the best thing to do is simply to start reading the books that are in the language, as it means that you can learn new words and phrases very quickly. But, what is your favourite genre? "Genre" means "category" - so what type of book do you like the best? Romance? Adventure? Mystery?

Personally, I like romance books with happy endings as it makes me appreciate what I have in my life even more.

I look forward to chatting to you all about this!

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,489 mod
    I like non-fiction about politics/history and travel. When I'm reading fiction, I like the old classics but I'm quite partial to bestselling thrillers too.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 3,637 mod
    > @mheredge said:
    > I like non-fiction about politics/history and travel. When I'm reading fiction, I like the old classics but I'm quite partial to bestselling thrillers too.

That's interesting. Are there any specific branches of history that you're interested in reading about? Personally, I like to read about the first and second world war, but more specifically how those left at home coped with the situation. I have always found that fascinating, but I'm not entirely sure why.
    I've always been fascinated by twentieth century history and oral history. I suppose I had my father to blame there, as he used to relate fascinating stories about his experiences during the Second World War. Charles Allen is one of my favourite authors as most of his books are accounts of history gleaned from witness accounts.

Yesterday I downloaded a couple of books onto my Kindle: Hiroshima by John Hersey, a journalist who related stories of the residents shortly after the event, in 1946.

Then I also got Tim Cope's travel account On the Trail of Genghis Khan.

• BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,659 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like every genera when it comes to books. I like to read both fiction and non-fiction depending on mood.
  • joephankmjoephankm Posts: 3
    I live fiction books, maybe sci-fi I like the most, or some books written from games. I also like love story books, but I did not read love story books frequently, I prefer to love story movies.
  • rainbirdrainbird Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I like romantic suspense series.
    I need both romance and suspense when I read books.
    Whenever I read books which were translated into my native language, I wanted to feel directly without translation what writers wrote. Then I decided to read books in English. This is one of the reasons for me to study English.
    @joephankm I must appreciate your temperament for reading Sci-fi. :)
    When I was a kid I liked science fiction, but I think I outgrew it. The sci-Fi I read was more like the old classics: The Day of the Triffids, 1984, and books by H G Wells and Jules Verne.
    > @mheredge said:
    > When I was a kid I liked science fiction, but I think I outgrew it. The sci-Fi I read was more like the old classics: The Day of the Triffids, 1984, and books by H G Wells and Jules Verne.

Yes, I have read one or two books from this genre and have enjoyed them quite a lot. I don't get as much time to read as I would like, though, as I am quite busy these days, but at the weekends I do sometimes manage to just sit and read a book, which is nice. I won't get chance to read this weekend because I am busy, but perhaps I will the weekend after that.
    I'm giving a Steven King novel a second chance, as first go I couldn't get into it. He writes in the present tense and then slips into the past tense, which is a way of writing I don't really like so much. But the attention to detail and descriptions are really vivid, even if at the moment the story is still not clear.
    I had a great uncle who used to read all of his books, but I'm with you in that I just find them too difficult to follow, which is a shame. I do like books from that general genre, but his just aren't for me really, which is a shame.
    There are people who don't have specific choices when it comes to reading. One of my friends reads newspaper in the morning, then novel, then a history book and before going to bed, she has other stuff too. She has divided time for different types of books. to keep herself busy at home.
  • I like Drama, Mystery, and adventure. I like something realistic without any romance involved in it. :)
    I like the thought of doing that too bubbli, because I can often get a little bit bored just reading one thing at any one time. I can never read more than one fiction book at the same time though, because I get confused about what I have read in one book and which was from another.
  • Ha_laHa_la Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I read any book i feel it after i see the catalog and read a few pages, any genre, but i often read things which write about history celebrities. Sometime i like to read humorous non-fiction stories.
  • I love Fantasy the most. Then beside that I also love Adventure and Mystery. :D
  • campuscampus Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I love the book which tell stories give me revelation
    I will admit that I do enjoy a little bit of adventure and mystery from time to time. It is the type of book that you can really get into, and this means that I enjoy the storylines in them. It is this genre that most makes me want to stay up and read all through the night to finish and get to the end.
    I like alternating between heavy and light-weight reading. I can happily read a trashy novel if I'm waiting for my flight but prefer something more meaningful when I'm at home and less distracted.
    I do enjoy trashy reading when I'm on holiday, because it means that there's a book that you can read without having to concentrate too much on the story. Plus, you can almost be certain that they're going to have a happy ending, and that's exactly what you need when you're on holiday.
  • HilandriusHilandrius Posts: 16 ✭✭
    My favourite genre is fantasy. I just enjoy creating images in my head while I reading these kinds of books. I believe this genre has a lots of benefits and influence on our creativity.
    I agree with you on your point @Hilandrius and think that reading is great for being able to come up with images in your head, so that's wonderful. I think that a lot of creative people read a lot, and this means that you can get lots of new ideas from the books that you read.
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    For me I like truth story, it help me to learn about life and several situation might face me on future !
  • CeciliaCecilia Posts: 3
    I really love romance books, but I read about every thing
    I agree about true stories @snack98 and it can be amazing to read about the things that people have been through in their lives and been able to overcome. I love reading true stories and learning lessons from them.
  • LienLien Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands I used to like reading many kinds of book. Recently, I have mainly read anything into English. My English ability still limits, so sometimes I do not understand nothing. Others read English quickly, whereas I spend much time on reading one page. Sometimes, I really get rid of learning English. Why is the language hard to me? Am I really an idiot? Reading English drives me crazy.
    @Lien you are most certainly not an idiot. It might help to find some more simple books - such as books written for children - as the words are easier to understand. Then you can build up to longer and more complicated books. You would improve quickly, and would soon be able to read books that you never thought you could manage.
  • LienLien Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands Thank you for your encouragement and your advice. I will find on Google to read.
    I love travel books (what a surprise!). Right now I'm reading an account of an Australian who rode from Mongolia to Europe on a horse to see how nomads were living and to follow Genghis Khan's route of hundreds of years ago.
    I have recently developed a taste for anecdotes and fables due to my storytellers session. It is fun to read anecdotes and fable with some good moral lessons.