Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you visit art galleries?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,727 mod
I like to visit art galleries, because I think that looking at art is absolutely fascinating. It is something that I like to do in my spare time, and it is good because there are a few galleries around where I live.

Is art something that you are interested in? Do you like to visit art galleries when you have some spare time?

Comments

• nisreen.mustafanisreen.mustafa Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭
    mmmm sounds interesting .... i don't know every thing about art cause some paintings have this kind of mysterious meaning that you can't know unless you are an artist .
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    I used to spend a lot of time in art galleries when I was younger @GemmaRowlands. I've been spoilt though. As I travel so much, I have been lucky enough to visit most of the famous places. I tend not to bother so much nowadays.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I went to art gallery exhibition once. It was on peace and war. I really enjoyed it. The ambiance of art gallery itself is very charming and thought provoking as well. Some paintings were so good that they just took my attention and I stood still for a bit longer and absorbed the colours.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    > @mheredge said:
    > I used to spend a lot of time in art galleries when I was younger GemmaRowlands. I've been spoilt though. As I travel so much, I have been lucky enough to visit most of the famous places. I tend not to bother so much nowadays.

It sounds like you had a great childhood. A lot of the galleries that I go to are free to enter, which means that no money is wasted at all, so it is a perfectly good day out for me. You can take a friend, look at the art, and then have lunch in the cafe at the end of the trip!
  • naDaothmannaDaothman Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Till now nooo but I wish to to find time to visit a one
    .living near London and visiting Paris every year, I was spoilt @GemmaRowlands. One day @naDaothman I'm sure you'll get your chance.
    Wow @mheredge it sounds as though you have been spoilt for choice when it comes to which to visit. Living near so many wonderful places must be fantastic for you, so I am happy that you have been able to have those experiences. It is an uplifting experience, for sure.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge what inspired you the most in those art galleries?
  • jhajha Posts: 52 ✭✭
    I've never been in art galleries, only to malls that is open to public. Most i've seen are paintings. I find more interesting in going to museums since it teaches us the past and histories. There are things that people used in the past that can only be seen in museums that we no longer use it, like tools in farming as an example. One time i saw a car that had been used by the public official during his assasination, including the clothes he wore when he was assasinated. There are also house museums showing their bedroom, antiques furnitures and old photos.
    It's a wonderful experience looking back at what was in the past.
    There is art all around us, it doesn't always have to be in a gallery. There are paintings in pretty much every building we go into, and there are statues in many places. You just have to look around you, and remember that art really is everywhere we look.
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    I use to visit Art gallery not because I am fun but because my friends like it !
    So don't you enjoy going to art galleries when you visit them @snack98 ? I know that it isn't always to everybody's tastes, but most people tend to find that they can get something out of them, even if there are only one or two pieces that they really enjoy.
  • GeroxGerox Posts: 8
    I hope so, I live in the unfolds of Mexico City, on the south. The center of the City is 2 or 2 1/2 hours away of my home and there are almost all the musseums of the country. so, in order to go, I have to have the whole day free, otherwise is too diffcult to visit art galleries.
    I understand, @Gerox , so you have to make a day of it. I suppose that is a nice thing to do, though, because you would be able to go and have some lunch and then visit the gallery. It sounds like an ideal day to me!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,373 mod
    edited November 2015
    @GemmaRowlands , we read your thread this morning in Aladdin's radio session :) .
    I was wondering if an exhibition of mummies could be called an art gallery?
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy going there but the initiative came from my friends, alone I don't think that will visit regularly art galleries @GemmaRowlands
  • yctsai2kyctsai2k Posts: 5
    I like to visit art galleries but I don't do it so often. Compare to art galleries I like to visit museum more. Art gallery is a good place to appreciate beautiful art works. To me museum is more interesting that I can learn a lot from the exhibition.
    Yes I think that you can learn a lot more from a museum in general. I like to visit museums that have rooms dedicated to art, as this means that you are able to get both aspects of it at the same time.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just few.Unfortunately,we don't have a lot of galleries in Iran,although it becomes better.Nowadays,people show more excitement and more artists use galleries to show their art.I went to some of them but as I said not a lot.
    Although no one in my family is an artist (my father was good at drawing though), I suppose I just grew up surrounded by a lot of art appreciation. So going to an art gallery was 'normal' and I was spoilt in that I suppose I never realised how lucky I was!
    I think you're very lucky to have had access to art galleries as such a young child @mheredge because not many children are able to do that while they're growing up. But you enjoyed it, and you know how lucky you were now that you look back, so that's the most important thing.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Sound interesting, Me too, I also like review the at , For example, the galleries, They always give me variety of emotions. I like the colour of them. Especially, the bright colour. The natural, human that are described throght the picture is fascinating.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    I like visiting museums and galleries . My favorite museums are Musée d'Orsay and Museo del Prado.
    I love both these art gale rise too @sonv. They're just the right size too.
    @kimhybin I always think that it is amazing just how many different emotions colours can bring out in people, and this certainly is the case for me without a doubt. I love looking at all of the colours, the brighter the better for me.
  • miss_masamiss_masa Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Yes I'm an art lover and my major in high school and university was graphic design. I'm still taking drawing classes and I wish to become more professional at this. And I love going to art galleries. There aren't many art galleries around where I live but whenever I hear about exhibitions I try to go and visit.
    It is great that you enjoy art @miss_masa so do you think that perhaps you will be able to put some of your work into an exhibition one day?
    @gemmarowlands eww...of course! That's my dream :) But first I got to become very professional.
    Yes @miss_masa but it always good to have that big dream to be able to aim for, isn't it!
    @gemmarowlands Yes of course it is!