Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you like to go to the theatre?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 4,128 mod
I am a fan of seeing plays on stage, so I will try to go to the theatre at least a few times each year. It is something that I enjoy very much, and I think that it is a great thing to be able to see actors create scenes live, right before your eyes.

Is going to the theatre something that you enjoy, too? Would you say that you go enough, or would you like to go more often?

Comments

• AyepwintAyepwint Posts: 3
    I used to go to movie theatre with my friends frequently. It is great time for me and have fan.mostly I watch adventure movie and science movie. :)
  • rainbirdrainbird Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I rarely go to the theater, because it's too expensive to watch there in Japan.
    It costs 1800yen (about $15US / £10) per movie. :(
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,868 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Once in a while. But, now I don't think anyone opt theater in their leisure time. I personally like to go to park or natural places most of the time. But, theater is reviving in Pakistan and there are some good plays on social issues, old classic dramas, etc.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,128 mod
    > @bubbli said:
    > Once in a while. But, now I don't think anyone opt theater in their leisure time. I personally like to go to park or natural places most of the time. But, theater is reviving in Pakistan and there are some good plays on social issues, old classic dramas, etc.

I go to the theatre a lot, and I love watching the way that stories are shown on stage. I think that with technology and films these days, most people don't bother to go, however I would always urge them to if they got the chance because it is something that is really very good to do indeed.
    yes but people now prefer to watch everything on either laptops or mobiles.
  • mariazapmariazap Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Every time I go to London I can not do without visiting the Globe, the Shakpeare's theatre, recently I watched Richard III and luckily the weather was good otherwise, because the theater is largely open, you can wet during the stage show as I did in the past . Very nice also the theater St Martin's in Covent Garden where the famous Mousetrap by Agatha Christie acting for 63 years!!!
    @mariazap if I could get a chance to go to London, I would be interested in Shakespeare's plays. I don't know whether they are in theatre now or replaced by new ones?
  • mariazapmariazap Posts: 21 ✭✭
    @bubbli The Globe Theatre where the company of William Shakespeare played, was
    destroyed by a fire in 1613.The modern reconstruction of the Globe opened in 1999 about 230 m from the previous. in the area of Bankside along the Thames I am not able to post pics of the theatre !!!
    Unfortunately the last plays of the theater season will be on 18th of October and I am going to London on28th!!
    @mariazap sad. They should present some old classic as English literature is full of master pieces.
    > @bubbli said:
    > mariazap if I could get a chance to go to London, I would be interested in Shakespeare's plays. I don't know whether they are in theatre now or replaced by new ones?

There are Shakespeare works performed all over the country in various places, but they're not as mainstream as they were once, so you probably need to look quite hard for them. I have been to see Hamlet, which I enjoyed, and also Macbeth - both of which I would recommend to anyone interested.
    @GemmaRowlands I have watched movies based on these plays and read Hamlet in college. But plays have their own charm and decorum that only a theatre can justify.
    This is true @bubbli there is no comparison at all. When I was younger and studied drama, we actually performed a A Midsummer Night's Dream, and I found it fascinating to get into the characters and do the work justice. I played Helena.
    @GemmaRowlands theatre is still revolving in Pakistan especially classic one. Recently, a play based on Urdu drama was presented in our city. Unfortunately, I couldn't go due to office work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    I was in some occasions in theatre. That was fantastic experience.
    I saw: Phantom of the opera, Cats, My fair lady, Beauty and the beast, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
    I can't go recently, because it's expensive. I'd so go, though.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,539 mod
    I saw an excellent performance of Death of a Salesman in Calcutta by a Mumbai theatre group a couple of years ago. This was the last time I went to the theatre. It's one of the few things that I miss not living in London any more.
    Out of those that you have seen @Csilla I have seen Phantom and Joseph - and both of those productions were amazing. I was lucky enough to get the chance to see Phantom in New York, so that was a fantastic experience for me.
  • WhisktsWhiskts Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I've never been in thearte, but I really woul love to go. Especially on Wicked musical with Indina Menzel. I watched it on yt, but it's not the same. And probably i wouldn't see this. There are yet some few that I would like to go. It's a little wierd that i have never been in theatre, never saw any play, but I always was really fascinated by theatre.
    I have seen Wicked in London, and I think that Idina Menzel is an amazing singer. I loved the fact that she was on the TV show "Glee" as I was able to see more of her. I would very much like to see her in the role again, as I think that she is just perfect for it.
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to
  • IwonaIwona Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I like theatre. I go to the theatre mainly with my mom once per 2-3 months. I love ballet and Shakespeare. In February I am going to the theatre to watch ballet A Midsummer Night's Dream. It is an amazing experience.
    @Iwona I would very much like to see AMND because I was in a small production of it when I was in school, but I have never yet seen it done professionally. You will have to come back and tell us all about it when you have been!
  • diskvndiskvn Posts: 65 ✭✭
    It is worth visiting theatre to watch a movie but going alone, siting alone drives me crazy. I know It is really normal to watch movie with no one but I can not eliminate that thought out of my mind
  • charancharan Posts: 16 ✭✭
    actually seeing movies in theatre with friends will have more fun recently we guys saw a movie name srimanthudu a telugu film which we enjoyed a lot .
    I agree with you @diskvn and I have only ever been to the movies once on my own, and I will admit that I just didn't enjoy it at all. I felt as though everybody was staring at me because I was on my own.
  • diskvndiskvn Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I have some friends who have shared the same memory sticking with the jokes. When I went to a movie theater alone, I started to laugh because of a normal saying from the character but it was the same funny moment I had with my friends. However, I realized that no one laughed but me. You can imagine how fool I was in that case. Just want to find a hole to get in
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    i don't get a chance to go theater so i don't have any experience.

i don't get a chance to go theater so i don't have any experience.

That is a shame. Is there a theatre near where you live? You should try to go and see if you like it.
  • WookieWookie Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Theatre is a very special place. This kind of art helps me assimilate boring , long scenarios named drama (Is this good word?I don't know...).
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,539 mod
    @Wookie do you really find drama boring?
  • WookieWookie Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Definition of drama: "a piece of writing that tells a story and is performed on a stage". So in my opinion(!) reading don't show full potential of composition. For me it's like reading a scenario to normal film.